Feeling dizzy and faint as soon as i eat.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Hi i have type 2, i am 63yrs old, all of a sudden i have started to experience the feeling of fuzziness/faint.dizziness as soon as i eat anything, this is very frightening as it is worse than anything i have experienced before, i have felt faint and dizzy before but this is different and as said frightning, really feel like i am going to pass out, fall over.
Does anyone else get this as soon as they eat.
Thanks
Jim

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I haven't experienced this. Others might know what it is and be able to offer you suggestions. My hunch is that it might be a good idea to tell your doctor, since it came on suddenly and is severe and frightening. It could be cardiovascular or neurological, or just diabetes and food related. In the meantime, please stay seated when it happens and be careful about getting up and walking, since you could fall over and injure yourself. I have done that before... even need stitches for a cut when I hit the ground.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you CatLady, i have an appopintment with The Diabetic nurse this afternoon, she is very good, always has time to listen to your concerns.
Will let you know what happens.
Jim

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jimmy,

I am afraid I have nothing to offer regarding your situation, but I wanted to wish you well and ask how your appointment went. Could your nurse shed any light on your symptoms?

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Okay Guys, 2 weeks ago nursey had put me on A beta blocker called "Bisoprolol" because of my high BP, today she wants me to stop "BP is still the same today" No Change, and see her next week so as to see if is was the new meds causing my problem.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting.

Did she give any indication when you might see an improvement if your symptoms are due to the tabs?

About 6 months ago, my mother was found to have VERY high BP, and given some tablets (never found out what they were) and sent home with a BP monitor for 48 hours.

Both she and the doc were pretty freaked out by the readings. It turned out that every time she took a tablet, her BP rose HORRIFICALLY high (you have to understand that my mother communicates in vagaries and leaves the detail for others to grasp) for about 2 hours, then dropped gradually to just above normal, before climbing again at the next tablet.

The doc pulled her off the tabs as soon as he saw the numbers (it is VERY frustrating that I didn't see them), and tried another tablet. Then another.

Eventually she was taken off any BP tabs and her readings have subsided to normal again.

Not that this little story is really relevant to you - but it just goes to show that sometimes our bodies have some seriously wacky reactions to medication.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Need to go back on monday to see how bp is, will update then.
Thanks for replies.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I get it now and then and more so of late.
I've just been diagnosed with sarcoidosis and this apparently might be to blame but Brunnerias post about medication got me thinking about an experience today.
I've been to hospital today so a camera crew could go up my bottom.
I had to drink paint stripper yesterday to remove any foodstuffs in there so haven't eaten since 8am yeasterday until 11.30a. m today.
I've had no medication either.
Blood pressure bang on perfect.
Blood sugars 5.6 this morning at 7a.m and fallen to just 4.3 before the camera crew went in.
How my blood glucaose has stayed that stable I don't know.
No food for over twenty four hours survived on green tea and drinking Bovril.
Had half a cup of Lucozade about midnight topped up with half a cup of water ... simply because I don't like fizzy drinks nd especially Lucozade.
But such good numbers n B.P and Sugar levels without medication.
Amazing.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi JTL, well i must admit to being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, and if that was happening to me it would certainly set my flags flying lol, must be very confusing indeed.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been diagnosed with sarcoidosis and this apparently might be to blame but Brunnerias post about medication got me thinking about an experience today.
I had to drink paint stripper yesterday to remove any foodstuffs in there so haven't eaten since 8am yeasterday until 11.30a. m today.
Blood sugars 5.6 this morning at 7a.m and fallen to just 4.3 before the camera crew went in.
Had half a cup of Lucozade about midnight topped up with half a cup of water ... simply because I don't like fizzy drinks nd especially Lucozade.
Amazing.

Hmmm.

Very curious! I think i might be doing some food intolerance testing.

You can ask your doc, who will probably laugh at you.
You can pay through the nose to get it done privately.
Or you can do it yourself.
- go on an exclusion diet for... 3 weeks ish (I think)
Then reintroduce the food, with careful testing of bg and bp before, during and after.

It wont produce any evidence that would stand up in a doc's surgery, but you may find it very illuminating.

Doing this is what convinced me to avoid all grains, because even small amounts (e.g. A single slice of wholemeal bread) will send my bg up ridiculously. While the same g of potato will have a fraction of the effect.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Amazing.

Hi @JTL,
I think I may be being a bit dense (and apologies if I am), but I don't understand why you were surprised your BGs were so stable and low. Without any food (certainly no carb) you wouldn't expect any blood glucose rise and I am guessing that with not eating for the day your liver was busy just topping up your muscles etc with their everyday requirements rather than releasing a load of glucose first thing in the morning. A happy surprise!
I guess because I live with someone with T1D who is on CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) I get to follow the real time data of everything that is eaten and its effects on BGs so zero carb being zero blood glucose rise doesn't seem unexpected.
Hope your bottom movie turned out okay - do you know when it's out on release?;)

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing.

Interesting. This going faint thing on starting to eat has happened to me occasionally, but this was before I was diagnosed T2 so I put it down to my blood sugars going too low (it happens if I haven't eaten for some time). However, I'm interested to hear you think it might be due to Sarcoidosis as I have this too. Is this something a doctor has told you?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It's happening right now after a meal going to lie down .....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Which turned into two and a half hours sleep.
I'm fine now.
I went to bed with a reading of 7 which is a little on the high side for me but shouldn't cause problems.
I'm just under 7 now 6.6 in fact.
I'm going late night shopping with Missus JTL because theres no way i'll be able to sleep till the early hours now.
Go get my Computer Music mag and stuff. Very warm night too or is it me ......