Out of control !

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Loud, bawdy people and over muscled macho men out to prove they're tougher than everyone else or with bad attitudes, mobile phones being used whilst driving, unfair VAT and tax.
Hi. Yes, do keep the oats etc down a bit. How old are you and what is your BMI? There is always the possibly of late onset T1 rather than T2. Quite a few of us have been there. Insulin may be the right solution and I was really thankful to move on to it from max dose of all the tablets and low-carbing. I don't find the insulin a problem; just a nuisance and I'm in complete control of my blood sugar levels. When you need it you need it.

I'm 68 and 11 stone at 5ft 8ins so my BMI is brilliant due to my keeping weight off and doing a lot of exercise (I used to own and run a small gym). When I go to the fitness club I look in the prime of fitness and nobody would say I had anything wrong health wise but I have had several major back ops and have the diabetes. Thanks for the help .... Regards .... Jim

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good advice and I'm definitely cutting out the bread, rice and root crops now ... thanks .... Jim
BTW you may notice from my signature my HbA1c is steady but not particularly low. It may be because I eat so much but I'm not going to go hungry, because I feel so well and enjoy eating.

Reactions: 2 people

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Loud, bawdy people and over muscled macho men out to prove they're tougher than everyone else or with bad attitudes, mobile phones being used whilst driving, unfair VAT and tax.
Hi @Wraakian , if you're fond of your fruit, I've seen many people post in the forums that berries are generally better for us than other fruits. But test yourself and find out what effect they have on you.

Grapes are little sugar bombs, I use them sometimes to keep my bg numbers elevated at work prior to driving home.

Thanks Urban Racer, I really enjoyed snacking on 3 tangerines every night whilst watching TV so will miss eating them so any alternative suggestions are welcome but as you said I would have to check how they effect my own sugar levels. Once I'm down to tolerant figures I will try out the berries.

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
BTW you may notice from my signature my HbA1c is steady but not particularly low. It may be because I eat so much but I'm not going to go hungry, because I feel so well and enjoy eating.

I thought 48 for the HBa1c was in control ? My last IFCC standardised was 58 mmol/mol ! But my fasting home reading this morning was down to 8.8 the best I've had for a considerable time, today will be more telling for me now that I am on the right path thanks to everyone on this website. Kind regards .... Jim

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
48 is borderline between good and excellent Jim. Most of us aim for low LOW 40s and 30s which is classified as non diabetic.

Was that 8.8 a fasting / wake up reading? In any event (and unlike so many others) it is fantastic not only to see the improvement but also hear back from members who return to thank others. I know I appreciate it and we get inspired by it as much as the poster.

Your figures will drop .... certain of that :)

Mike

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
48 is borderline between good and excellent Jim. Most of us aim for low LOW 40s and 30s which is classified as non diabetic.

Was that 8.8 a fasting / wake up reading? In any event (and unlike so many others) it is fantastic not only to see the improvement but also hear back from members who return to thank others. I know I appreciate it and we get inspired by it as much as the poster.

Your figures will drop .... certain of that :)

Mike

Thanks Mike and yes you're right .... 2 hrs after having egg and bacon for breakfast this morning my reading was a brilliant 5.8 mmol/L. I won't be having eggs and bacon every day and will have peppered mackerel tomorrow but keeping off the cereals has made a huge difference and I can't believe how quickly the change in diet has effected my readings .... mind blowing. Thanks again Mike .... Kind regards ..... Jim

Reactions: 9 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't thank me Jim. :)

Thank those that educated this idiot 12 months back. Work hard on it, get a plan in place and I'll happily pass the baton over to ya. :) There's some REALLY good people around here that do know what they're talking about ... in time, so will you.

Just make sure those 1 hour numbers are OK. 5.8 at 2 hours is fantastic ... but not so good if your one hour was over 7.8.

Mike

Reactions: 4 people

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Don't thank me Jim. :)

Thank those that educated this idiot 12 months back. Work hard on it, get a plan in place and I'll happily pass the baton over to ya. :) There's some REALLY good people around here that do know what they're talking about ... in time, so will you.

Just make sure those 1 hour numbers are OK. 5.8 at 2 hours is fantastic ... but not so good if your one hour was over 7.8.

Mike

Hi Mike .... just checked 1 hour after lunch, having read your last post and my reading was 7.5 mmol/M .... I know you said I needn't thank you but it's guys like you as well as those who you learnt off that make the difference Mike .... Regards ..... Jim. PS: I have posted diabetes.co.uk on my Facebook to hopefully help others too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've had some great advice.

All i can think to add are these links.

The first is to a thread filled with menu suggestions for those of us who eat this way.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-66#post-911525
The second is a thread of recipes, including a stunning variety of cakes, deserts and treats - all of which will keep your blood glucose steady and in target.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/
Enjoy :)

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
You've had some great advice.

All i can think to add are these links.

The first is to a thread filled with menu suggestions for those of us who eat this way.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-66#post-911525
The second is a thread of recipes, including a stunning variety of cakes, deserts and treats - all of which will keep your blood glucose steady and in target.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/
Enjoy :)

Thanks .... I'll get my balance right first then add some of each from th links you sent .... and take measures before and after each recipe used to see how they affect me .... need the variety so thanks again .... kind regards. ... Jim

Jo123

Jim, so nice to read you are getting your numbers down, it is amazing isn't it! Keep up the good work.
I was fortunate to find this website when only prediabetic and thank my lucky stars I did so!

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Just an update ... my blood sugar results have been excellent for the past 2 days so I thought I would put back just 1 small slice of wholemeal bread purchased from the Sainsbury's bakery, toasted with reduced sugar baked beans for breakfast this morning. After 1 hour my blood sugar had gone up to 14.5 mmol/l after 2 hours it was still high but before my lunch it had gone down to 7.3. Don't know what they put in that bread but it sure spikes my results so won't be having any of that any more. I am doing this with several foods to see what does and doesn't effect me and for lunch I had 5 spicy chicken wings and I was pleased to see that my reading an hour later was only 6.4 mmol/l.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Trial and error Jim :)

The baked beans would more likely be to blame. Possibly the bread as well, but the former would be my guess.

Mike :)

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I'll try a slice of bread on it's own Mike, I suppose the baked beans, though reduced sugar, still have some added sugar and also contain natural sugars ... it's just that I'm trying to find easy alternatives for varied breakfasts. Had a variety of berries and yoghurt this morning and have some kippers and mackerel in for a change - when I feel like having them.

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Jim, so nice to read you are getting your numbers down, it is amazing isn't it! Keep up the good work.
I was fortunate to find this website when only prediabetic and thank my lucky stars I did so!

I feel the same way Jo this website and the people on it are a great help to those who really want to make a difference in their eating habits and dietary control of their diabetes.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'll try a slice of bread on it's own Mike, I suppose the baked beans, though reduced sugar, still have some added sugar and also contain natural sugars ... it's just that I'm trying to find easy alternatives for varied breakfasts. Had a variety of berries and yoghurt this morning and have some kippers and mackerel in for a change - when I feel like having them.

Hi Jim,

I seem to recall a discussion or two around baked beans not that long back and they weren't too flash. High in carbs in any event.

Go for the slice of bread by all means and see what that does. Some people are OK with some toasts but you'll be able to pin it down and see the impact. If time's on your side, high meat content sausages and bacon and eggs are a REALLY good start to the day. You're right though ..... variety is important. We all get there, but only with willpower and a determination to stick to a meal plan that gives us good readings. Well done on the progress brother :)

Mike

Jo123

Jim,have a look at Livlife bread available at Waitrose it is only just under 4 gms carbs per slice, if it is the bread that is pushing you high it might be worth a try.

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Jim,

I seem to recall a discussion or two around baked beans not that long back and they weren't too flash. High in carbs in any event.

Go for the slice of bread by all means and see what that does. Some people are OK with some toasts but you'll be able to pin it down and see the impact. If time's on your side, high meat content sausages and bacon and eggs are a REALLY good start to the day. You're right though ..... variety is important. We all get there, but only with willpower and a determination to stick to a meal plan that gives us good readings. Well done on the progress brother :)

Mike

Yep, I tried one slice of toasted wholemeal bread yesterday and my bloods remained good, I also had berries and yoghurt for breakfast with stevia sweetener and my results came in at 5.5 mmol/l which is my best reading yet. My wife had booked some family members in for a high tea at Blakemere Garden Centre near Northwich but didn't tell them I was diabetic so I thought I would see how my readings would be effected by eating a scone with jam and cream on it ..... Uh Oh! ....17.4 mmol/l after 1 hour 14.5 after 2 hours .... it was an obvious reaction but it cements in me that I shouldn't have such things. I got back down to 6 mmol/l by that evening. My overnight fasting read this morning was 7.2 but my brother in law who was staying over with us and who is also diabetic decided to make my breakfast with the same berries I had the day before but with the addition of an orange (he said oranges don't effect him and I guess he wanted to prove they wouldn't effect me), my 1 hour reading after that was 9.6 which shows that oranges (that I had previously cut out of my diet) do severely effect my blood sugar readings as you said Mike and as I thought would be the case. I am going to try out 2 x pieces of 70% cocoa chocolate when I'm back down to the 6 - 5 mmol/l. There may be other food stuffs that I need to test out but I think I will now have enough information for me to remain at a constant low mmol/l of under 6.9 by eating meat, fish, yoghurt, berries, green veg and salad, drinking plenty of water and doing my usual gym exercises and swimming. Sussing out the really bad stuff and knowing that 5.5 mmol/l is attainable and can be achieved quickly is such a huge boost to my wanting to be in control. Thanks Mike .... Kind regards .... Jim

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Jim,have a look at Livlife bread available at Waitrose it is only just under 4 gms carbs per slice, if it is the bread that is pushing you high it might be worth a try.

Great Jo ... I'll look out for it though we don't have a waitrose nearby .... I will find it and give it a test run though I have had some good results from the wholemeal bread as I now know it was the baked beans on the toast that spiked my sugar level. Thanks again Jo and kind regards .... Jim

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I had bacon and 2 eggs with 1 slice of dry wholemeal bread this morning and my 1 hour reading went up to 11.6? As I have tried this bread on its own previously without it effecting my blood sugar readings and also have had the egg and bacon on its own previously without it effecting my readings, could it be that it is the combination of carbs in the bread and protein in the bacon that has caused the higher reading? My 2 hr after reading was down to 8.3 mmol/L which I deem is okay but not particularly good .... hoping for 6 mmol/L before lunch.