Higher readings at 7 weeks

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people, liars, bad time keeping and mushrooms
Hi, I am currently 7 weeks pregnant with my first baby. So obviously this is all new to me. I have read that during the first trimester mums to be are prone to hypos, however, my readings have been going gradually higher to around 9-12 before meals. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm getting slightly worried as my control before I got pregnant was pretty spot on.

Should also mention I am on the accu-check insight pump

Thanks

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found I needed to increase my insulin in the first 7 weeks, which is not what my dr told me.

This study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11423491
found an 18% increase in insulin needs in weeks 3-7 and then the drop typically happens between weeks 7-15. If you're comfortable adjusting yourself than do what you need to - that's been my method.

Reactions: 2 people

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh thank you! It's a relief to hear someone else has had the same issue. My doc told me the same, I'd need to reduce my basal rates in the first trimester etc.

I have adjusted my basal rate this afternoon which is what I usually do, just been a little more paranoid since getting pregnant!

Also have you had the need to adjust your ratio too?

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh thank you! It's a relief to hear someone else has had the same issue. My doc told me the same, I'd need to reduce my basal rates in the first trimester etc.

I have adjusted my basal rate this afternoon which is what I usually do, just been a little more paranoid since getting pregnant!

Also have you had the need to adjust your ratio too?

So far I've kept mine the same but I think I need to change my breakfast and lunch ones. Big spikes the last 2 days (almost 23 weeks now). Finding that study was a relief for me, but looking at different message boards it seems like there's trends but a lot of people's bodies do their own things too.

Reactions: 2 people

Goodbyepretty

I'm almost 5 weeks with my first baby too. :) Also on the pump and my bloods have been the same. I'm spiking high throughout the night. I'm just checking my bloods every hour or two. If I see I'm spiking I'll do a small correction. Seemingly this is all very normal. Just keep a close eye. :) I know it's worrying, I'm exactly the same!

Congrats!

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Goodbyepretty, congrats to you too! ️ it's nice to be able to talk to fellow type 1's and mums to be in the same situation!

Elliebug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 9 weeks , my insulin has been increased I spike mid afternoon but got it down last few days by splitting my levemir dose am and pm
Congratulations