Visit to the Diabetic Nurse

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

So, one week after diagnosis I saw the Nurse today. It was a really positive experience, she was very helpful, informative and best of all non judgemental ;).. She did not mind that I had a list of questions written down that was almost as long as a loo roll!.

I can have as many test strips and lancets as I want as my surgery are great believers in newly diagnosed patients testing frequently in order to educate as to why the levels change.

She is arranging for the Retina check and gave me the details of the DESMOND day (still not sure I want to go though)! She also gave my feet a good looking at (poor lady)!

She recommended this site as did my Doc, I gave glowing reviews :p.

I need to get on the low carb thingy so am off to check out all the info

Hope all is well

Deb

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased you've had such a positive experience Deb :)

TrishG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners
It's a lot to take in but it looks as though you are in good hands.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I am still at the stage where this is the only thing I seem to think about and go from being upbeat to scared and low! It sure is a rollercoaster. I feel that the support on here has helped a huge amount :D

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Always nice to see examples of surgeries who agree with self-monitoring and other stuff.

Up to you of course, but I wouldn't waste a day going to hear about eating carbs with every meal, etc. It would just make me irritable, lol.

Reactions: 2 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi and welcome
As others have said your off to a positive start , the best thing I can suggest for the low carb thing lol is to cut down on them smaller portions to start with , check your bloods before you eat and 2 hours after so that you can see how you've coped with it and keep note of what you've had and adjust it next time you will soon get the hang of it ,let us know how you get on
Keep well stay safe JJ

Reactions: 2 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow - so different to my experience with the Diabetes Nurse at my practice.
She was critical, judgemental and not at all helpful.

When I pointed out that I had been unwell more often than not for 15 years (I've also had treatment for a Brain Tumour) her answer was

"Well you've had plenty of time to get used to it then!"

I have refused to see her since then and now see my GP for my Diabetic Review.