Hypo problems ongoing 20 years not diabetic

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello I'm new to this site.
Thought I'd let you know my experiences and hope someone can tell me if this is 'normal' or not.

I first started getting shakes and energy loss in my teenage years. In my 20s it started again. Everyday at work. I had eec mri, neurologists and gps not find anything wrong. I suggested links to energy, not eating, stress or tiredness never known the issues

Im hypothyroid, low vitD and have dizziness, weakness, shakes, light-headedness, confusion, get hot, irritable and more. I always described it as being drunk or standing up to quick or like watching my diabetic dad have a hypo was how i feel. Lasting 10 minutes to a couple of hours, everyday and Even went for a couple of years. I had it most days on weight watchers. My weight between 10st and 12&1/2. Never had much luck at exercise even on good days, I now have bad knees either knee cap or early osteoarthritis . Gp retests my fasting tests asking if i ate sugar the night before. I get tested alot as my dad is diabetic and because of my symptoms. During my 3 pregnancies i was told i was 4 plus and gestational diabetes and no sugar.

Recently I've been taking blood sugar tests at home. Morning blood sugar between 4.6 and 5.3 my average blood sugar level is 5.3. After meals raising to 8.5-9.7. I start feeling it come on around 4.5

The other day walking around all day took blood sugar before drive home and was 4.2 i ate a bag of sweets and noodles at home. 3 hours later my blood sugar was 3.3 i shoved half a packet of choc biscuits in my face and 7.3.

Yesterday not feeling quite myself woke with 4.6 after breakfast 8.8 4 hours later feel awful 4.4 had sausage potatoes bread and bbq sauce and 10.8.
Today
Waking 5.2 breakfast of coffee with sugar 3 toast with jam home test.

Half hour after 10.1

1 hour after breakfast 10.9

Another half hour 7.9

2 hours after eating 7

3 hours after eating 5.7

4 hours after eating 3.9

5 hours after eating 4.1

Shaking throughout didnt feel good on the come down

Anyone else experience this? Is my blood sugar all over the place or normal?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome, Wendolph :)

Sorry you've been having these problems. It must be both frustrating and worrying.

Have the doctors given you any suggestions about what might be causing it?

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks,
No dr given me no clues, put it down to my thyroid then say its normal , fasting blood tests within range and glucose tests as far as I know. I had an attack a couple of months ago and gp said I was having a panic attack. I told him it wasn't like that, I get them from time to time. I read the hypo awareness questionnaire and noticed that I get every single symptom.
Seeing a new gp next week, and will show him my home readings.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading you had gestational diabetes? What was your way to manage that?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Showing your new GP your readings is an excellent idea. If you're able to record what you've eaten too that might be helpful as well in case there's any link.

I had hypos before I developed diabetes (I'm a Type 1). All my consultant could suggest was that my pancreas was working in a disordered way. I don't know if you have anything similar, but I thought I'd mention it as I understand how annoying those kind of attacks can be.

Non-diabetic people's blood sugar does rise after meals, so it would take someone with medical knowledge to say whether your rises are within the normal range or not.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. Luckily my levels aren't quite into the diabeticT1 levels so I'm blessed with that.
With gestational diabetes they just said no sugar. I didnt notice hypos more than usual.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thought I'd let you know my experiences and hope someone can tell me if this is 'normal' or not.

I first started getting shakes and energy loss in my teenage years. In my 20s it started again. Everyday at work. I had eec mri, neurologists and gps not find anything wrong. I suggested links to energy, not eating, stress or tiredness never known the issues

Im hypothyroid, low vitD and have dizziness, weakness, shakes, light-headedness, confusion, get hot, irritable and more. I always described it as being drunk or standing up to quick or like watching my diabetic dad have a hypo was how i feel. Lasting 10 minutes to a couple of hours, everyday and Even went for a couple of years. I had it most days on weight watchers. My weight between 10st and 12&1/2. Never had much luck at exercise even on good days, I now have bad knees either knee cap or early osteoarthritis . Gp retests my fasting tests asking if i ate sugar the night before. I get tested alot as my dad is diabetic and because of my symptoms. During my 3 pregnancies i was told i was 4 plus and gestational diabetes and no sugar.

Recently I've been taking blood sugar tests at home. Morning blood sugar between 4.6 and 5.3 my average blood sugar level is 5.3. After meals raising to 8.5-9.7. I start feeling it come on around 4.5

The other day walking around all day took blood sugar before drive home and was 4.2 i ate a bag of sweets and noodles at home. 3 hours later my blood sugar was 3.3 i shoved half a packet of choc biscuits in my face and 7.3.

Yesterday not feeling quite myself woke with 4.6 after breakfast 8.8 4 hours later feel awful 4.4 had sausage potatoes bread and bbq sauce and 10.8.
Today

Half hour after 10.1

Another half hour 7.9

2 hours after eating 7

3 hours after eating 5.7

4 hours after eating 3.9

5 hours after eating 4.1

Hi @Wendolph

Please read the thread ' Reactive Hypoglycaemia' in the 'Ask a question' forum.

Yes I recognise the symptoms!

If you find problems getting to the thread I've tagged @Brunneria to give you the link tech thingimybob.

Welcome to the forum!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Luckily my levels aren't quite into the diabeticT1 levels so I'm blessed with that.
With gestational diabetes they just said no sugar. I didnt notice hypos more than usual.

When you have the wobbly feelings etc., what are your bloods at that point? Do you always "treat" those feelings?

What is the lowest you have gone?

Let's leave any driving aspects out of the discussions for now.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher found it. I'm not alone.

AndBreathe I've only been taking my blood for about a month. My worst attack is the 3.3 that I've recorded but I know I've been much worse in the past with slurred speech and so irritable I'm shouting like its not me.
I usually rest, I try to eat as i feel lack of energy but sometimes just can't, sometimes eat crisps, usually shove as much chocolate in my face as I can.
Sometimes feel better within half hour sometimes longer.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher found it. I'm not alone.

AndBreathe I've only been taking my blood for about a month. My worst attack is the 3.3 that I've recorded but I know I've been much worse in the past with slurred speech and so irritable I'm shouting like its not me.
I usually rest, I try to eat as i feel lack of energy but sometimes just can't, sometimes eat crisps, usually shove as much chocolate in my face as I can.
Sometimes feel better within half hour sometimes longer.

No @Wendolph , you are not alone, unique but we are here to help and guide you through this condition! Ask any and all questions, as Brunneria as had already posted.

S

Shar67

Hi
You were only hypo when BG dropped below 4, I often get shakes when BG is spot on, reading what you have been eating I think you are have too much sugar and carbs, this will cause BG to spike then drop and will make you feel awful. Rather than half a packet of biscuits a sandwich would have been better.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher and brunneria looks like I've got a lot to learn if this is what I have. After so many years it's great to finally be getting to know what it might be. A relief in a way. Start of a journey.

Reactions: 3 people

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes thanks Shar67 I see that. Im probably causing problems to my body answering the cravings. I never noticed it was connected to blood sugar before. And only recently been noting my sugar levels so carrying on as usual while trying to prove to the gp theres something up, i don't usually have jam on toast. I don't generally eat sweets. I don't have a sweet tooth. But during a long car drive 2 hours i eat a bag to help me stay awake and when feeling like this the craving to eat is overwhelming. I'll try eat more carefully in future.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher and brunneria looks like I've got a lot to learn if this is what I have. After so many years it's great to finally be getting to know what it might be. A relief in a way. Start of a journey.
Only proper tests can diagnose hypoglycaemia. But just looking at your information, gave me a clue! Those who have posted are now experiencing a better way of life because of this forum. I don't believe you are at the start of a journey, you are at the start of the rest of the life.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher. Oh definitely need to get more tests from my gp and I know what to suggest to him. Seeing what other people have experienced can only help. Maybe I'll even get healthy

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If after going through that thread, there is a page on RH on Wikipedia, which is well worth a read!

I also have wrote a blog on my journey, called 'a reactionary' in the blogs forum!

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks I've got a lot of reading to do.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Today

Half hour after 10.1

Another half hour 7.9

2 hours after eating 7

3 hours after eating 5.7

4 hours after eating 3.9

5 hours after eating 4.1

Hello I understand where you are coming from. My x experienced similar things. He only had hypo feelings, when he had them sugar was all that could calm his shakes. He has collapsed from it to. He has ever test going. He has put his down to he does a lot of intense sport and he thinks it's that. Since doing a gi diet he has found he isn't having so many issues. He sticks to only medium g I food as its a diet to regulate the income and impact of sugar/carbs on your body engergy level. He finds this balances him. I don't know if that helps but diet of how quick and slow energy is released in your body might help