Fat Fast Starting Monday 3rd August

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I thought I essentially knew what LCHF was until I started following this thread. (So thanks again you guys!) I even thought I followed some of the eating principles myself (LCHF is fairly 'normalised' in Sweden - many cafes and restaurants have an LCHF option, in the groovy areas at least, of Stockholm) (oh, and there is even a couple of LCHF food boutiques I discovered online), but then I looked into what your fat fast actually was about (from the last fat fast thread you did as well) and links suggested in here, and further links. Watched the docos Carb loading, and Cereal Killers yesterday - and really understand I hadn't really understood at all. Nothing like finding out what the 90% fat fast is to really appreciate, 1. what 75% fat is, and 2. what you guys will be doing on your low calorie 90% fat trip! And 3. What really low carb is. (I thought I knew! I was wrong!)

I can't get the 'Art and Science of Low Carb...' at the library here, but there is the diet doctor Eenfeldt's book, of course (lingos!). So I will check that out. (Just as an aside - I can't tell you what confusion ensued for a bi-lingual bi-national type like I when you wrote about a 'swedes binge' back there Baruney - especially considering my predilection for Swedish chappies! That was kind of fun. Then I thought you may have meant swedes as in the turnip type vegetable. That was puzzling but swedes are supposed to be a wonder food for diabetics apparently. Took following the diet doctor link for me to get you meant a Swedish binge lol, as in a culturally specific festive occasion thing. My bad - I can be too literal. But just so you know we too-literal types are out there! :).)

Me and my gallstone will start our LCHF journey more delicately, and now that I know what it is really :)),

and really looking forward to watching you all next week - wo ho 90%!

Reactions: 12 people

Merrylizard1314

On MFP, I will set my options for 90% Fat, 7% protein and 3% carbs and see how that goes.
I will make sorrel and kale soup tomorrow. That will probably be low enough in carbs.

Evening meals are a bit difficult, but poached eggs and cheesy things seem OK, with a dark green veg or salad. I sometimes make a few salmon balls with ricotta cheese.they are 2-3 carbs each.
Pecans, macadamia nuts, butter, cheese crisps - these are all easy. I try not to get too fancy, as I believe, if you make something really tasty, the temptation is there to go right over the carb limit and affect ketosis.
My bulletproofs are less than 200 cals. Probably not full strength yet.
Also MFP tells me that 1200 cals is the lowest for health but I still set my options for 1000? Is that what you are doing, @nomistheman?
I'm just taking fish oil. Will your chicory root count as carbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or for the party?

The question you pose, sounds exactly like those narrative maths questions about cisterns being emptied while simultaneously being filled at a different rate. Or perhaps more like the distance/speed /time problems I used to be so good at.
Are you drinking any water on the journey? Perhaps we could combine the cistern and energy formulae? Suppose you run all the way there for the nuts only to find the shop closed. How do we factor in the rise in body temperature, the fall in Serotonin, the surge in cortisol?

I never include my exercise in my calculations, as energy expenditure seems to be all about breathing, and who knows how much breath weighs these days?
( That is not a challenge, BTW)
Sounds like a challenge to me. Anyhow 2:1 in the cricket not that I'm into it!

Anyhow the mac nuts question did have a sort of se ios question behind it in that if you take the 1000 to 1200 cal fat fast as general and that the advice is not to exercise a lot during. What should you do if you want to for example run 10 miles? Compensate for and add cals or forget and be deficit of up to 2 cals for the day?

Reactions: 2 people

Merrylizard1314

Aah! The cricket! Your England team is doing very well. The Australians have not ripened into greatness yet, but I have every confidence.....

The nutty question; if the advice is not to exercise vigorously during a FF, it is probably because of the adaptation time, so you could run, but not all out ( cricket term ) or, alternatively, up the fat calories. Marathon runners do better than sprinters on this regime, but Volek and Phinney say that it takes some weeks for full adaptation to the ketogenic WOE.
I rather think that running 10 Miles on a FF, while not fully adapted would make you feel very unwell
And your engine would be coughing and spluttering, with the needle on the gauge stuck in the middle, neither carb nor fat-burning.
There are other options - one is to eat more carbs before the run, as the body will use these first,for fuel the nuts could be more carby ones, for example.
But how you feel is the most important. The brain takes a while to be feeling good about changing.

I must say that your evident addiction to these Mac nuts, and the lengths you will go to, to get them, are a bit of a worry.. I think I will just go and light one for you.

Reactions: 4 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aah! The cricket! Your England team is doing very well. The Australians have not ripened into greatness yet, but I have every confidence.....

The nutty question; if the advice is not to exercise vigorously during a FF, it is probably because of the adaptation time, so you could run, but not all out ( cricket term ) or, alternatively, up the fat calories. Marathon runners do better than sprinters on this regime, but Volek and Phinney say that it takes some weeks for full adaptation to the ketogenic WOE.
I rather think that running 10 Miles on a FF, while not fully adapted would make you feel very unwell
And your engine would be coughing and spluttering, with the needle on the gauge stuck in the middle, neither carb nor fat-burning.
There are other options - one is to eat more carbs before the run, as the body will use these first,for fuel the nuts could be more carby ones, for example.
But how you feel is the most important. The brain takes a while to be feeling good about changing.

I must say that your evident addiction to these Mac nuts, and the lengths you will go to, to get them, are a bit of a worry.. I think I will just go and light one for you.
Many thanks. I haven't tried setting light to one yet but will do at some stage.

As mentioned on the fasting thread, I'm coming into this ff from a really bad position. 8 fasting bloods and 0.1 blood ketones and as for the correlated weight gain - let's just not go there for now!

Suppl - going for multivitamin and fish oil. Bpc mine comes on at just over 200. Meal if that's the right word for it probably some combo of bacon eggs smoked salmon salad cream cheese soured cream/cucumber salad. Going to have to sit down and measure up later as on the road mon/Tues.

Mfp doesn't like it when you log less than 1200 cals. You can stilget tge macro breakdown but it does flash up a warning side.

Going to be an inter ting ride this one!

Reactions: 8 people

Merrylizard1314

Day 1 Monday all right, I'll go first!

Starting statistics. Weight 66.2kg
FBGL 4.0mmol/L
Ketones 1.2.
Parameters: 1000cals 90% Fat, 5%carbohydrate, 5% Protein

Just about to have a bulletproof coffee

Reactions: 9 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did see what you did there but I didn't want to put the wind up anyone's sails. I am very liberal with the salts and if exercising will use an eloctrolyte called high 5 zero and home made magnesium oil to avoid cramping. What's good for me might not be good for everyone though. BP and all that malarkey Ok.
@Baruney
Hey B
Liking the sound of Mg Oil to avoid cramping, any more info on that would be good.
Cheers
Hj

Reactions: 6 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Picture free post this morning as phone playing up.

Starting point
Weight 15 stone 9 lbs
Bloods 7.7
Ketones 0.3
Mfp same as Nom

Brekkie bpc 1 tablespoon each butter and coco oil. 230 cals.

Packed 'lunch' egg mayo sandwich without the bread. 25g mac nuts. So 2 meals there!

Reactions: 5 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Baruney
Hey B
Liking the sound of Mg Oil to avoid cramping, any more info on that would be good.
Cheers
Hj
Hola hunky

Get some magnesium flakes from eBay and dissolve 100g into just over 100ml of boiled and then cooled water. Heat up on the stove. Put in spray bottle and there you have it your very own magnesium oil. I spray on my legs after a run and then shower off after 20 mins. Need to make another batch soon.

Merrylizard1314

Sorry, I cannot do pics yet, but am saving screen shots for when I finally get the knack...
This morning bpcoffee- 1teaspoon butter, 1teaspoon MCT oil.
Before lunch5.2mmol/L
Lunch was a small Greek salad with smoked salmon. This was a restaurant mealand 2 glasses of wine were taken.
After 2hours, BGL5.6
Dinner was steamed vegetables with cheese sauce made with double cream. 3pecan sandwiches.
After 2 hours, 5.4
Ketones1.4

Just failed the parameters. Fat 86% carbohydrates6% Protein 9%

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Screenshots_2015-08-03-21-59-22.png

Brutal day on day one. My own fault really for coming into this with high numbers - bloods and weight gain but more importantly low ketones.

Any how 20 am meeting went on forever and had to whip my nuts out to avoid flaking out. I offered them round with a smile but in reality was thinking don't take one don't take one! Buggers scoffed the lot anyhow secret egg mayo cream sandwich stuffed away was mine all mine ha ha ha.

Just finishing up work and cup of bovril to get a bit of salt down. Drank loads of water. Have to stop soon. Otherwise will be up all night. Managed to hit macros and 70 cals short of 1k cals. Ratios hit due to bpc. Can't really see any other way round it without going overboard on cals or protein. @nomistheman are those fat bombs 234 cal each? There's 2 to 3 meals there!

Exhausted!

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @nosher8355 it's not new to me - I've been in and out of ketosis through various fasting routines. I normally intermittently fast.

What I'm hoping to do is get in to optimal ketosis and stay there! I've never (knowingly) been in ketosis longer than around half a day.

Relax into it, try and not over think it!
Keep as busy as you can. See the pattern not the design!

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't quite manage the macros but, still fairly close I think:

View attachment 14599

Figured I'd add half the calories the C25K session would detract from my totals:

View attachment 14600

I've actually been eating knobs ...

Of butter!

I have totally loved this first day! It may be part adrenalin rush from the excitement of the first fat fast day but, I've had lots of energy and a clearer and sharper than normal mind.

Let's see what tomorrow brings ...
good stuff @nomistheman> 89/90% is there. with so few cals to play with it gonner be there or there abouts. how many miles did you on your c25 - about 4.5?

Merrylizard1314

Impressive first day, nomistheman , will you be running every day?
well done Baruney, it is jolly hard to hit those macros, all down to the nut swipers, possibly!

This morning, inexplicably, my fasting BGL was 5.4, which it has not been for months.
But my ketones were 2.1.
Made BPC, but was distracted by some urgent tasks, and didn't get to drink it.
About to try again.
Feeling very well and up for anything, but may review this, as busy day ahead.

Reactions: 9 people