Diabetes Management apps

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you get the test strips for the Dario system on prescription?

I used to use mySugr but it started annoying me and I hated it after the recent update as it is a pain to see your results on one easy to view page. I quite liked ezbds but with FreestyleLibre I have been lazy and not really bothered with apps lately. I wish there was a way for the Libre results to sync to an iPhone app.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My app software can now import libre exported data and provide daily, weekly, monthly trending and estimate your hba1c. Have only seen file from one location so may need feedback on file format changes based on locale. No published format data

Reactions: 2 people

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
I use Dafne online which lets me have an uncomplicated printout to show the GP. However my iPod is now so out of date that I can't upgrade the app. Eventually I'll have to buy a smartphone I suppose.

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mysugr for me as well.

Lots of updates and very configurable. Yes the monster can be a pain and you should be able to turn it off, apart from that it does exactly what I want it to.

The devs are all really nice people and most of then are also diabetics so fully understand the issues we all face day to day.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
DiaConnect graphs better, but MySugr has standard deviation figures for each week/month, which I use.

I just try and ignore the monster.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I was using RapidCalc for a long time and was recommended by local diabetes org. However am now using the DAFNE app after doing their program 12 months ago.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My app software can now import libre exported data and provide daily, weekly, monthly trending and estimate your hba1c. Have only seen file from one location so may need feedback on file format changes based on locale. No published format data
Andrew does your app do IOB?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am using MySugr despite the Monster and general child - focused design, as it is a good all round compromise. I wish it had uploading and IOB.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is IOB @Spiker. I am sure I could look at adding it if needed

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK I admit I know nothing about insulin therapies so if you give me the requirements I can add the functionality.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm running 3 apps at the mo so I'll let you know how I get on!

Any other good ones to add to the list just let me know. I'm a diabetes app guinea pig :)
Hola @JamieVic

Have used my sugar in past as like the fact you can log and tag blood ketones. Nice diary but don't like the graphs. Use e smbg as has great graphs but not much else for me. Started the dario as an experiment last week. So see how that goes. Like the fact it has a predictor.

What one did you find useful for tying in with sports?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes IoB = Insulin on Board.

This can be simple or complex.
The simplest method would be to assume all bolus insulin is used up (acts) evenly over a period of 4 or 5 hours. On pumps (and IoB enabled meters?) the user sets this value for the total duration of effect, to suit their type of QA insulin and their own response to it. Usually the range is 4-6 hours and a typical value would be 4.5 or 5.

So if 4 hours is selected, in a simple straight line model we assume 25% is used up per hour, or if 5 hours total duration, 20% per hour.

This is a simplification as in reality the insulin action is a curve, not a straight line. Pumps store a standard curve and rescale that curve according to the user-entered value for total duration of action, eg 4-6 hours. Action curves are published by the drug manufacturers. (If you want to get really sophisticated, the action curves are dose-dependent, but most IoB calculators ignore this.)

If using a straight line model rather than a curve, it is best to use a slightly shorter assumed total duration of action, just because the last hour of action of a QA insulin is usually only a few % of the total, so a slightly shorter assumed duration gives a better fit to the real curve.

The other aspect is how to handle the fact that IoB is cumulative.

In a very simple model, when a new bolus dose is given while there is still a non-zero IoB, you can just add the new dose to the current IoB and keep a single running total. That's simplistic but not terrible. A more accurate method is to track each bolus separately, until it expires, and sum all active boluses together to determine IoB at any given point in time.

So as I say you can make it as simple or as complex as you feel like. :)

The purpose of tracking IoB is to allow people to safely take multiple bolus injections of QA insulin that are spaced more closely than the total duration of action of that QA insulin. In the absence of IoB information, we are advised not to inject more frequently than that, and certainly not to correct more frequently than that.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I installed the Dario app on my Android phone after @tim2000s recommended it. The app lets you apply online for the hardware meter. This sends an email to the UK distributor... our old friends Advanced Therapeutics! Looking forward to getting my Dario meter from ATP UK. The software looks good so far and it will be amazing not to need to manually enter BG results.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In the absence of IoB information, we are advised not to inject more frequently than that, and certainly not to correct more frequently than that.
Once you've got used to your insulin and how it works, it's not overly difficult to understand your own IOB and appropriately dose of you are dealing with cumulative doses. CGM of some description does simplify this process though.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Once you've got used to your insulin and how it works, it's not overly difficult to understand your own IOB and appropriately dose of you are dealing with cumulative doses. CGM of some description does simplify this process though.
Personally I find the mental arithmetic challenging, even for the crude "straight line" model of IoB, and so I prefer to rely on an IoB calculator, particularly if there is any more than just one active dose when I inject.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK that is easy to implement. Would you like an adjustable profile over eight hours alterable from 1 to 0 every 30 mins? I will default from 1 to 0 over 6 hours