Carbs Really Hate Me

AussieSmegg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons,
This morning I had my lowest fasting BG (10.1) since staring on basal insulin so decided to have 1/3 cup of cereal for breakfast. Two hours later BG 21.9. Will try not to do that again. The only problem is all carbs seem to make my BG spike. My GP did say that when my fasting BG was under control he will introduce bolus insulin before each meal. :banghead:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Carbs really hate me too, lol. This is outside my area of knowledge, but if your fasting BG is that high despite a low carb diet, shouldn't you be on bolus insulin already? Or maybe see another doctor?

1/3 a cup of cereal is such a tiny amount, and 10.1-21.9 is such a big spike... surely you should be given a bit of extra help with insulin, or am I crazy? It seems so strange to me.

AussieSmegg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons,
I only started basal insulin a week ago after maxing out the dose of Metformin with no effect on BG and am gradually increasing the dose 2 units every 3 days. I will see my GP early next week to discuss the next step.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I only started basal insulin a week ago after maxing out the dose of Metformin with no effect on BG and am gradually increasing the dose 2 units every 3 days. I will see my GP early next week to discuss the next step.
That's good. I hope your BG levels come down soon.