Is this dangerous?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's stupid but due to unforeseen circumstances I haven't been able to go shopping and today I literally run out of all my LC/HF standbys. I thought we were going shopping this afternoon so I just had a brunch of half Lidl's HP Roll with tuna mayo on it. But then we couldn't go so come dinner time I was left with 2 cooked pork loin chops (leftovers) and I thought some stir-fry veg but when I got it out the fridge it had gone past it's best. :(

I cut up and fried the chops just to warm them up and searched for something to go with them. Nothing and having come thus far I wasn't about to have a plate of chips. In desperation I ended up with .... don't all go "Yuk" at once ... a dollop of peanut butter on them.

That's really not enough protein and fat is it? My blood was 5.8 and not on meds so not likely to have a hypo.

I can certainly tell that I haven't eaten enough because although I'm not actually that hungry I do feel a bit "swimmy" headed. I'm just about to go to bed but I'm worried I might not wake up :eek: I just wondered what I'm doing to my old body by eating so little?

I ended up doing an online shop so lots of goodies coming tomorrow :)

Good night all x Hope I see you tomorrow :D

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You'll be fine.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Copey, as long as you are feeling fine and your meter is showing good numbers you won't have any problems, there is not such a thing as not eating enough if you are feeling satisfied, but is not ideal to go hungry. Don't over worry and stress over it and try to stock up with the foods you need whenever you can :)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surprise! I'm still here :D I never even lost any weight :(

Thanks for all your advice. I think I need to eat more to get my metabolism shifting? I've been low carbing for about 2 months now and (as I have said in my post One Month Into Low Carbing) I had an initial drop of 8lbs (water?) but since then and despite the falling BS numbers I have only lost another 2lbs. I've read a lot about Insulin Resistance etc. but don't really understand.

Does the lack of weight loss suggest anything else I could be suffering from? Not due to see DN til November when I hoped to have dumped some belly fat and impress her with my now in range BS. A bit worried that it might show up something to do with liver or pancreas? Maybe I should have stuck with the Metformin. :(

Off to docs for a general Pill Review for my other meds, BP pills and Statins (that I've been on for about the last 15 year). Expecting a telling off about not taking the diabetic meds.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Are you using something like the MyFitnessPal website to monitor your calorie intake? What's your target?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Full fat yoghurt full fat milk butter cream olive oil nuts.
All help me to lose weight and lower my bad cholesterol and blood pressure .... I'm T2.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you using something like the MyFitnessPal website to monitor your calorie intake? What's your target?

No, I thought it was only for Mobiles and I haven't got a fancy one, just one that receives and makes calls and texts etc.

I haven't got a clue about calories and targets. I just followed the LC/HF diet blindly really.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat yoghurt full fat milk butter cream olive oil nuts.
All help me to lose weight and lower my bad cholesterol and blood pressure .... I'm T2.

Yes, that's what I have been doing til I ran out of everything. I'm T2 as well.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must get off here or I'll be late for Drs Appt. Be back later x

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I think you'll find this site, or one like it, really helpful.

I'm no expert on calories control, but the idea is to figure out what your body needs to maintain weight, then plan to consume a few hundred calories less. I wouldn't presume to advise any more than that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

For illustration, my daily maintenance is about 1900 calories (I'm a small man) so I aim to eat about 1400.

ONWARDS

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you are being to strict with yourself as to what you are eating and not having enough can be as bad as to much.

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I think you'll find this site, or one like it, really helpful.

I'm no expert on calories control, but the idea is to figure out what your body needs to maintain weight, then plan to consume a few hundred calories less. I wouldn't presume to advise any more than that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

For illustration, my daily maintenance is about 1900 calories (I'm a small man) so I aim to eat about 1400.

ONWARDS

I have to admit that I haven't even considered calorie counting. I'm still getting into my stride with the low carbing and assumed that calorie counting was pointless due to the high fat. I still have a lot to learn obviously. x

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you are being to strict with yourself as to what you are eating and not having enough can be as bad as to much.

Yes, I have been very strict and wouldn't dare eat anything on the forbidden list, no cheats or anything. I'm kinda confused because some advise more fats to see weight loss and Geoffers has said count calories. My brain is going into overload I think :(

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use MFP on my laptop and my mobile. I try to stick to 60g carbs and 1500 calories a day. As long as about 60% of my calories come from fat I don't feel hungry AND I lose weight.

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I went for my pill review (just routine on my Blood Pressure pills etc. as they won't let you have any more until you have the review every so often) and I expected a bit of a struggle regarding my not taking the prescribed Gliclazide but I saw a locum and she was so nice. I told her about the LC/HF diet and how my figures had come down and she said "well done" and when she weighed me and saw that I'd lost since my last check up she congratulated me and said I was doing well and to keep it up. She wasn't too keen on the high fat aspect and mentioned cholesterol so she got one minus point for that but overall she said she was delighted to see someone taking control :) My BP was good too.

I told her about being given a prescription for Gliclazide and a monitor by Reception and she was gobsmacked that I didn't get any information about how and when to use it. She said there must have been an oversight there as I should have seen the DN for discussion about the new med and how to use the monitor.

Anyway she wants me to have a blood test in 3 weeks to check my progress and see the DN when I get the results. Suits me as I will be interested to see it myself.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use MFP on my laptop and my mobile. I try to stick to 60g carbs and 1500 calories a day. As long as about 60% of my calories come from fat I don't feel hungry AND I lose weight.

Thank you. It seems popular so I will check it out xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all have different metabolisms, and what suits one won't suit another.

All I can tell you is what I did. I kept a strict food diary, and initially I weighed everything I could, making sure I also recorded the weights. I used the MFP website to calculate how many calories I needed, and as I was on about 50g carbs, it told me how much fat and protein I needed to maintain my optimum calories for weight loss. I lost 4.5 stones without stalling at the rate of between 1 and 2lbs a week, I stuck to 1200 calories.

When I hit my target weight I could not stop losing, so I increased my calories bit by bit until I stabilised at a nice weight for me. I got these extra calories by increasing my fats (and thereby my protein as many fats are also protein heavy, like cheese.) It was a fine balancing act and kept me very busy for almost 12 months, but it was worth it.

MFP needs a lot of messing with at first to get what you want out of it. You have to set your own carbs. Also beware of the nutrients they say for different foods as many are wrong. It is best to ignore those and enter your own, with the nutrients gathered from food labels or manufacturers/supermarket websites or the Carbs & Cals book.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thank you. It seems popular so I will check it out xx
Hi, I only found out about LCHF from this website and since then have realised there is loads of info out there...but it can get confusing:confused: so I use MFP just to keep a check on how many carbs and ignore the calories. I aim for between 30-40g carb and plenty of fat in cooking etc. so far (been doing this since April) my husband has lost 2stone 5lbs me 1and half (not fair) :( But at least I'm losing;) Have just embarked on Zana Morris's High Fat diet (bought the book on Amazon) and that has helped me kick start the weight loss again:happy: There's nothing worse than 'maintained!' when your husband has lost 3lbs!:mad: So stick in there it's better than any weight loss plan I've ever used before and I've used loads right back to Rosemary Connelly's 'F' plan. I think the name says it all!! Lol;)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One day of not eating the "right" percentages of protein, fats, and carbs is not going to hurt you at all. A few chips might spike your glucose levels a bit too much for your liking, but should no way make you ill let alone kill you off, so please don't worry.

Just remember that much information on LCHF is a guide for you and is not set in stone, so no harm is going to come to you if you fail to follow it to the absolute letter. I'm another OAP who's had an LCHF lifestyle for about 18 months now and haven't managed to kill myself off yet by not eating to any rule book - so you can take my word for it!! :p

Robbity

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the past week I have been on holiday in Spain and my percentages have been way off from what I would normally want, yet by BG levels have remained in check and a pair of shorts I could wear last week now fall off me.

Don't worry if you can't follow your preferred diet to the letter every day, it is the long term that matters.