Newly Diagnosed Type 2 glad to find this forum!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all.I am a newly diagnosed type 2er! Found out about just over a fortnight ago.It's been a lot to take in,a big change to many aspects of life.I now realise with hindsight just how many things I have taken for granted for far too long.
Being more positive my local NHS seem fairly competent, I have a glucose meter (still getting to grips with that), heading out for an eye test in 15 mins, Metformin hasn't given me the trots yet!! And I can still have bacon,malt whiskey,and bison steak!!! So the ball is still on the pitch.
However I am most glad of all to have found this forum,which has answered many questions already and made me realise I'm not in this on my tod. I feel sure this is going to be an ongoing challenge for many years to come and this group may be a source of positive help.
I look forward to being able to contribute for others in future.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Redsnapper :)

Pleased your getting good support from your diabetes team, I'm going to tag @daisy1 as she has some excellent information that you should find useful.

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Redsnapper! It can be a bit of a shock when you're first diagnosed. I'm still a relative newbie (having being diagnosed last November), but I'm getting to grips with it now and it does get easier!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Redsnapper

Hello Redsnapper and welcome to the forum :) I'm glad things seem to be going well for you. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. If you need to know anything just ask a question on here and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the warm welcome. Just back from the optician's where a good result as pix of my retinas are ok. Eyeball pressure normal too. An excellent service as not a big chain and I have been going there for years.I will have to do it all again NHS style in a fortnight, seems daft they can't use results from a qualified optometrist!! I know many here may question why the concern for a new diagnosis, but I am convinced that my BS has been high for a while. My old G.P. retires and in short order red flags everywhere!!! Got hold of previous blood test results by not leaving the surgery till I got a print out. So 5.9 in 2008 and 7.4 in 2014 not deemed worthy of investigation. That doesn't seem right to me judging by what I have read on here. But it is what it is.

Right large bowl of mixed salad and a turkey steak to follow, any suggestions what can jazz those up a bit???

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the flavoured olive oils as a dressing for my salads - I'm currently using the chilli one and made the mistake of adding too much one day!!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome. It's always a good idea to get printouts of blood test results, they are very useful info to have. I have also requested copies of my whole medical file, and what an eye opener that was! Often the things that are important to us don't get written down, and issues that should be red flags for a doctor to look into don't get followed up. Taking control of my own health has reaped benefits for me - I can make sure all my health professionals have the info they need and that they keep on top of things.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again, I hope I find everyone well.
An interesting day had to rush to the dentist with a suspected abscess, was quite painful and worrying.Especially after I discovered that "WE" are prone to these, and they can be hard to treat with high BG levels.My excellent dentist saw me at short notice,to discover food in my gum at the back of my mouth.Had I changed my diet? she asked with a smile.Yup I suspect it was almonds and raw carrot!!! Seriously though finding out about the potential dental problems I had my head in my hands thinking this is never ending!!!! So much to deal with that other things are on hold till I get to grips with this.

On a much more positive note got hold of some excellent Lidl high protein bread rolls 130g with about 11g of carbs, only 39p and big enough to slice up into 4 good size pieces.So I proceeded directly to several fantastic Edam,ham and salad sandwiches (from one roll) with a homemade vinaigrette included.I was a bread fiend so this was bliss.No1 wife stuck her head round the kitchen door wondering about the noises coming from the kitchen!!!! Found out about them on this forum.

Also been having a good look through the recipes,cheered me up no end.

Once again really glad I found this forum.

Cheers

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
A very warm welcome to you @Redsnapper . You seem to be taking control nicely and it will only get better. Keep posting and ask as many questions as you like.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Glad you got the abscess sorted, sounds very painful and worrying. I only recently learned that I have periodontal (gum) disease, and that this is common among diabetics, because it is cause by a chronic low grade infection, which our bodies are not so food at fighting off. I learned that uncontrolled diabetes leads to so much gum disease that your teeth get loose and have to be removed, all of them! So that was added to my list of diabetes complications that I scare myself about so that I eat the right things.

One way of managing this gum disease is to have 6 monthly teeth cleaning by a dental hygienist. I also have x-rays 6 monthly to make sure there are no cavities getting away on me. If I had been aware of this problem years ago I would not have let it get this bad :(

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you got the abscess sorted, sounds very painful and worrying. I only recently learned that I have periodontal (gum) disease, and that this is common among diabetics, because it is cause by a chronic low grade infection, which our bodies are not so food at fighting off. I learned that uncontrolled diabetes leads to so much gum disease that your teeth get loose and have to be removed, all of them! So that was added to my list of diabetes complications that I scare myself about so that I eat the right things.

One way of managing this gum disease is to have 6 monthly teeth cleaning by a dental hygienist. I also have x-rays 6 monthly to make sure there are no cavities getting away on me. If I had been aware of this problem years ago I would not have let it get this bad :(
Good thinking about the X ray every six months.My dentist wants to see me in about three weeks to check my gums are ok.Looks like check ups every four months from now on.Yet another example of something to be closely watched.......along with everything else!! Quite a turnaround after basically 30 years of not looking after myself. Mebbe it's "Karma"
However an interesting development I tested at 6.8 late this afternoon, my best reading so far.To be fair I only bought the thing on Saturday.On diagnosis 13.3 random and 11.4 fasting with my HbA1c at 75 which I reckon is about 9.0. So I know it's only one reading but I have been on as few carbs as I can for the last couple of days.By my reckoning below 50 but I am sure I have missed some sneaky one's I don't know about yet.Most have been low 8's.But made me much more positive that I can get in control of this,with perseverance.
Sorry to ramble on but it's at the forefront on my mind for most of the day, it's good to vent.

Onwards and downwards!

Cheers.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. It can take time to get your head around everything but you seem to be on the right track. There is definately a wealth of information here and I am glad you have found it so useful already.