Worried about my 20month old!

Cherryblood

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
He has lately been asking for juice all the time, he could drink a entire bottle of it every half hour should I supply it for him. I know to much fluid can be very bad, he also is hungry all the time. The only thing he wants to do is drink a ton, and eat! Obviously his nappies are overflowing with wee as he's drinking a lot. My question is could this be a concern for type 1? He's not really showing any other symptoms, maybe a little more tired then usual, but other then that no. If I was to test his glucose levels would that show me if he is or not? Lately he drinks what was 'normal' for a day (3-4bottles) but 10 am!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Cherryblood
welcome to the forum :)

best bet is get him to the GP for a blood test today if possible.
as he is only 20 months he won't really be able to tell you all he is feeling symptom wise.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Himtoo, get him to your Doctors for a checkup pronto

Cherryblood

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've got him booked in soonest they could do is Thursday, unfortunately I'm left till then to deny him juice. There's a toddler cup that's hard to get his juice out, I thought maybe that would deter him from drinking, but he's persisting, I'm very confused. If his blood glucose levels are low, does that mean he isn't diabetic?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
what sort of juice are you giving him ?

could you switch to plain water for the interim ?

you could go and spend the money at boots and get a glucose monitoring kit.
( approx £15-£20 )
if you test and he is between 3.7- 6.5 i would't worry - just attend GP on thursday

if he is high ( above 10 or higher ) then I would demand ( politely) that he is seen today by GP
alternatively with a high reading a trip to a drop in clinic ( if there is one local to you ) or even going to A&E .
it is that important if he is high

Reactions: 4 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do Pharmacies do free finger prick blood glucose test? I’m sure they use to.

Just before I was diagnosed I use to chug down vast quantites of Coke (the full fat version) - little did I know at the time! so I'd start replacing the juice with plain water, just in case.

Cherryblood

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Its Aldi's sugar free squash, he has it quite weak, he had a milk allergy which he's grown out of and squash was the only way we could get fluids into him. He only drinks squash, no sugar drinks or milk.
I just popped up to my grand parents they have a monitor and his came back 6.1mmol/l.
Should I be concerned about diabetes anymore?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
you are quite right to be concerned about your little boy as you know him best but he ( diabetic wise) should be fine until thursday with the GP based on that result.
always best to be vigilant with little ones!

Cherryblood

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you are quite right to be concerned about your little boy as you know him best but he ( diabetic wise) should be fine until thursday with the GP based on that result.
always best to be vigilant with little ones!

I have had to be all his life unfortunately! Himtoo- please answer me this. Even with that bg level, is there still a chance he could have diabetes and how so?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL - @Cherryblood do you work for Aldi? (just slip in the brandname for free advertising!) 6.1 an hour or 2 after eating I'd assume he's not - but if he carries on with his extreme intake I'd take him to the GP just as a precaution . Is his temp normal?

Cherryblood

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes temp is good, No LOL I don't work for Aldi. :)
He had a snack half hour prior to results, so there's a good chance he's not ?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think there's a good chance he's not diabetic, but see what the doctor says. Extreme thirst could be a symptom of something else. Try not to worry, easier said than done, I know. Hopefully the doctor will be able to figure out what's going on for him.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
6.1 is an entirely normal blood sugar result for somebody not diagnosed -- you are doing the best thing taking him to your GP on thursday for a check up :)