Is this a real quote from diabetes.co.uk?

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from this article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-who-collapsed-diabetic-condition-6139898
The on line patient support group Diabetes.Co.UK says many of the country’s 750,000 type one diabetics are victims of discrimination due to misunderstanding of the condition.

It says similar accusations have been against other parents.

Unlike type two diabetes, caused by obesity, type one is caused by the body’s faulty immune system destroying the pancreas that produces vital insulin.

A spokesman for Diabetes.Co.UK: “Type one diabetes is not self inflicted and some patients have complications despite looking after themselves. The last thing they need is ill-informed comments form a health professional.”

It could obviously be manipulation by the press, but if this is genuine, I may have to rethink my membership of this forum - the implication in that is clearly that type 2 is self inflicted

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Probably some words taken out of context or modified in the article. I wonder whether the article meant Diabetes UK and not this forum Diabetes.co.uk? Pity the autor didn't mention that many T2s are overweight as a result of stupid diet advice from the NHS

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first read it, I assumed it was diabetes uk as that's the sort of rubbish I've read from them before, but when I saw it was clearly labelled as diabetes.co.uk, I was pretty shocked to be honest. I really hope it has been misquoted / taken out of context because that's not the sort of thing I expect from here!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has to be Diabetes UK since this organisation does not have an on-line support group as far as I know unless you count us and none of us would have made such a crass statement.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there any way to find out if it is genuine or just newspaper BS? (and I don`t mean Blood Sugars!)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's impossible to tell from the article what is the apparent quote from diabetes.(co).uk and what is journalistic padding. Either way it's very unhelpful.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
from this article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-who-collapsed-diabetic-condition-6139898

It could obviously be manipulation by the press, but if this is genuine, I may have to rethink my membership of this forum - the implication in that is clearly that type 2 is self inflicted

Quote :- Unlike type two diabetes, caused by obesity,unquote.
Quite frankly Type 2 diabetes shouldn't have even been mentioned at all.:wideyed: Because the story was about a type 1 father who had a very bad hypo, possible hype from the media ? It could of been worded as. 'There are two main type of diabetes, type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition, which means the body attacks its self thus destroying the pancreas which produces Insulin.'
Lets hope questions get answered.
Phil, why don't you tag administrator or Giverny and hopefully someone will be able to give an answer ??
Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
What are the organisations doing to prevent the media getting it wrong then?

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More often than enough the papers get it wrong, here's what both DCUK & DUK have to say about the causes of type 2 diabetes:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/causes-of-type2-diabetes.html

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...isk-of-Type-2-diabetes/Diabetes-risk-factors/

That's why I was so shocked to see that quote attributed to this site. As RRB suggested, I'm tagging @Administrator and @Giverny and hopefully it can be cleared up. If it is a misquote, I'd hope this site will contact the mirror to print a correction

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion the part about obesity isn't specifically quoted for, so probably hasn't come from diabetes.co.UK. only the other three sections make direct references to where its come from

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's why I was so shocked to see that quote attributed to this site. As RRB suggested, I'm tagging @Administrator and @Giverny and hopefully it can be cleared up. If it is a misquote, I'd hope this site will contact the mirror to print a correction
You're absolutely correct that it's a misquote. We'll be getting in contact with the Mirror soon and hopefully this will be corrected ASAP. Thanks for pointing it out, Phil!

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're absolutely correct that it's a misquote. We'll be getting in contact with the Mirror soon and hopefully this will be corrected ASAP. Thanks for pointing it out, Phil!
Thanks for the clarification - it's good to know it didn't come from here :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the clarification - it's good to know it didn't come from here :)
We've just spoken to our press team, and confirmed that the comment about Type 2 was not made by anyone from Diabetes.co.uk. We're making every effort to ensure that the Mirror corrects this mistake and make sure that both Type 1 and Type 2 are not misrepresented in the article.

Reactions: 12 people