Help. Type 1.

Karenecia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!I am a type 1 diabetic and I started to do exercise for 2 days now.I was surprised today to see that my BG rised! My BG level is always about 9-15 and 6-8 if I don't anything between meals.Today after I did my exercise and when I come home,I checked my BG and it was 18,6!Is this possible?And why?So if anyone can help me to understand that.And if I must stop or continue my exercise. THANKS

Reactions: 2 people

lulaloop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey karenecia,what kinda exercise are you doing? I used to do kettle bell classes,its kind of hardcore exercising. Even though were told wen we have high blood sugars exercise will help bring them down this is true, but wen we exercise too hard the opposite happens our body is under too much stress therefore giving us highbloodsugars. I had to stop my classes because this and took up speedwalking and jogging which I find way better for my blood sugars! Hope this helps:)

lulaloop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically Wen u work out too hard it causes our body to panic.. And wen we panic we get high blood sugars, u don't have to stop just take it easy is all

muzzer727

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!I am a type 1 diabetic and I started to do exercise for 2 days now.I was surprised today to see that my BG rised! My BG level is always about 9-15 and 6-8 if I don't anything between meals.Today after I did my exercise and when I come home,I checked my BG and it was 18,6!Is this possible?And why?So if anyone can help me to understand that.And if I must stop or continue my exercise. THANKS
Hey there welcome to the forum, as far as I'm aware the reason your blood sugar rises is because your muscles need energy from glucose so your liver will pump out more glucose but to make the glucose your body needs insulin , so if you've not taken enough insulin your blood sugar will rise straight after exercise

hope this helps a bit, Paul.

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't do intense exercise if you're above 13 or so because it can send your glucose up.

"Therefore, precautions to take against hyperglycemia include not exercising if:
  • Your blood sugar is above 13 mmol/s (240 mg/dl), especially with positive urine test for ketonuria, as exercising could result in higher blood sugars and lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Follow your doctor's advice to lower blood sugar before recommencing exercise.
  • You are sick with flu, infection or another illness that is worsening blood sugar control.
  • If your blood sugar level is above 13 mmols/l (240 mg/dl) but less than 17 mmols/l (300 mg/dl), limit your activity to moderate intensity (walking, light biking), rather than a high intensity exercise (running, weight lifting, tennis)."