T1DM + Student = ???

Temi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything that bores me
Hey guys, so I'm a uni student who's been T1 for about 3 years now. I've never actually spoken another student with diabetes (that I know of) and I just wanted to know what everyone's experiences are like. Do you find eating healthily harder now that you're not at home? Has drinking ever been a problem? Ever had a hypo during an exam? Guess I'm just trying to see that I'm not the only one going through all of this at uni. Hope to hear from some of you :)

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Temi123
welcome to the forum :)
my student days are so long ago i can barely remember them !!

i will tag a few of the lovely young people on the forum to offer some support
@becky.ford93 , @teacher123 , @Gabbs27

take care young lady !!
all the best !

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there :) I was only diagnosed this march, whilst on my placement (3rd) year. Today I'm heading back to uni in Cardiff though for my 3rd year exams so I'm praying I don't hypo during any of them! I've never really drunk a lot anyway so now with T1 I tend to just avoid it altogether, but I think it's often just important to be careful. I think eating is gonna be a big problem. It's kinda sad in this country that eating healthily is often more expensive, especially on a student budget!
Uni definitely makes life with T1 harder though, I'm with you there!

Reactions: 4 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Temi123 and hope you have been enjoying your university experience :) What are your plans for the future?

I was diagnosed in April this year during my PGCE year so it was a pressure cooker trying to balance my essays, planning lessons for each day and trying to learn as much as possible about T1. My biggest fear was hypoing during a lesson so I tended to run my levels a little higher on certain days!

Then, I found this forum and honestly it's completely changed my outlook on the condition and my diet especially. I didn't eat that badly before I was diagnosed and done lots of sports but now I'm trying out the LCHF diet and I don't have cravings in between meals and hoping the honeymoon period continues :). I do find it a little more expensive to eat this way but I don't drink, smoke or buy naughty foods anymore so spending a little more on good foods is worth it for me. I hope this helps a little, just ask away :)

Annietw1493

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there :-D
I was diagnosed when I was 10 and have just completed my third year at uni, so have a couple of years of experience doing exams and cooking at uni.
Food is hard and more expensive than my friends. I find if I plan it out for the week ahead it helps me when I shop and gives me an idea of timing in the evenings, as it can be a bit longer to cook healthier food than throwing a frozen pizza in the oven.

With drinking it is tricky, I find that alcohol makes me have hypos, also the feeling of being drunk to me is similar to a hypo. I normally mix my drinks with a fruit juice so it counter acts the hypo affect. I also carry a BM machine with me and check during the evening. Then in the morning just keep an extra eye on your sugars as the can drop or go high. Alcohol makes them slightly unpredictable. But it hasnt stopped me going out with all my friends

Exam wise I always test before going in and run mildly higher. Then make sure you have Dextrose or something to treat a hypo on your desk. If it is a long exam I will take rasins or something to munch on during the exam to make sure I dont drop low. However I have been doing exams all my life and touch wood never had a hypo in one. I think with them the best thing is to run a bit higher just to make sure you dont have a hypo as it will knock you out for half an hour. Also if you want ask your uni what would happen if you did have a hypo just so you have that reassurance.

Uni is hard with DM, when i first started I found it difficult, but if you find what works for you it is definitely do able. It is hard not let diabetes control your life. But try not to let it stop what you want to do, pick what you want yo do then think how you can make your diabetes fit in.

Sorry that the message is long, I hope it helps. If you have any questions about what I said just ask. :-D I am no expert but I have experience on my side. Xx

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I'm starting Uni in October so I'm not the best to spoke of from expeirence however I don't think the experience is far from College. Where I am from, we have two Universities, one caters for the more letters on name and science stuff and the other caters for vocational subjects. My Uni does not have a specific support group although I do have a meeting with a disabilty officer in September to discuss my condition. The other Uni hoever does have a Diabetic Student Union and after speaking with the boss of that, they said that I would be more than welcome as they are catering for both of the Universities. So maybe where you are studying, their maybe a group like that. Other than that it's unlikely you will bump into anyone else who is T1D as it's never something that jumps out at people, it's hard to spot. As for drinking, I drink and before I make sure to eat some carbs, so pasta/pizza as it helps to slow down the drunkening of alcohol. Make sure that if you have any basal insulin such as lantus/levemir to take it before you go out. When you're steaming, the last thing you'll be up for to do is take your night time injection. Oh and don't inject insulin after you begin drinking. The alcohol will at first spike your bloods a little high and then they will lower as alcohol does lower blood sugar. Although its mind altering effects make it a **** insulin. Let me know if my text is a little jaded/hard to read. I type as I talk to mysen.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
The disability service at my uni are great. I set my exams alone and get extra time so I can in theory go high or low, fix it and carry on. If however I could not fix it in time they will look at the exam. I stayed at home and the types of drink I have don't impact my sugars so it has been ok

Temi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything that bores me
Thank you all for these responses, even years later I really appreciated them

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2