Chips from the chippy?!?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If it helps 6 medium sized chips are equal to 10 gms of carbs.
When I do go to the chippy once in a blue moon I always ask for a child's portion. Mind you I shudder at the size they consider child size.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Having read some of the earlier posts i have to smile...I also love chips from the chippy my dad when he was alive used to call em the chip and beans queen because when ever he asked what i wanted for dinner it would be chips and beans..laughs....I put down the grouchy~ness at times to my diabetese and am sure it affects us all ...but yes I do have chips now and again as a treat and still love them as much as when i was a child ;)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can't beat a portion of chippy fish and chips and our local one has chips to die for so I do indulge occasionally it is so good to enjoy real chips with lots of vinegar and salt and to hell with the carbs for once

Reactions: 4 people

jgordon5

Well I Just had a small portion of chips with a large portion of salad. This was after an hour's walk. I had 5 units and 3 hours later I'm 19.5. Really thought 5 would be plenty for such a small portion. :(

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pinkorchid, when I go out I pinch a couple of someone elses chips; I know if I have more than about 3 my glucose will be too high. I would be OK with you though as I don't like vinegar so your chips (and my BG) would be safe

I think those who were "lecturing" were only trying to help. Many of us are T2 rather than T1 so if we are not on insulin we can't adjust our medication to accommodate the extra carbs.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
I to love an occasional chip. Found it really hard to get the carbs right from a chippy - have tried a few and even when weighing the portion. However if I go home and cook my own I can get it more or less spot on.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I Just had a small portion of chips with a large portion of salad. This was after an hour's walk. I had 5 units and 3 hours later I'm 19.5. Really thought 5 would be plenty for such a small portion. :(
The easiest way to judge chips is to count 6 medium sized chips as 10 carbs.
Safest way to eat chips is to ask for a child's portion, even then it's many but at least you can't go to far over the top.

jgordon5

The easiest way to judge chips is to count 6 medium sized chips as 10 carbs.
Safest way to eat chips is to ask for a child's portion, even then it's many but at least you can't go to far over the top.
Thanks. I had a small portion, probably 15 small ones at the most and gave myself 5 units to start with, which should have been too much but no, even after the additional 3 units it took ages to come down. Think I'm going to have to give them a miss from now on...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks. I had a small portion, probably 15 small ones at the most and gave myself 5 units to start with, which should have been too much but no, even after the additional 3 units it took ages to come down. Think I'm going to have to give them a miss from now on...
Have you thought about the timing of your insulin? Due to the high fat content the blood sugar rise normally takes place later so perhaps look into a split insulin dose.
I use animal insulin and find if I eat chips instead of a bolus 30 mins before I eat the bolus is best same time as I eat. Obviously we are all different so you need to work out what suits you best.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Many of us find fish and chips or just chips from the chippy act very much like pizza. They need a shot on eating of 50% or so and then further shots at regular intervals (3x1.5 hours, each at 30-50% in my case) to control the impact. Once you know how it is perfectly doable but it can be hard work.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not been on here long, but it does seem like posters often ask a question without giving all the relevant info. I think a forum member could be forgiven for thinking that someone complaining about post-chippy BG numbers is a newbie who isn't low carbing.

Assumptions make an ass etc

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've not been on here long, but it does seem like posters often ask a question without giving all the relevant info. I think a forum member could be forgiven for thinking that someone complaining about post-chippy BG numbers is a newbie who isn't low carbing.

Must admit to being totally confused by your reply.

For long term insulin dependant diabetics it's a known factor that chips cause an issue so insulin doses take some planning :) Even then we don't always get it right. :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's an extremely old thread,(Dec 2009) sometimes these threads get resurrected. Not always a good thing. ;)
The OP used insulin (a pump) so was not a newbie and no probably not someone who used a low carb diet. The first 3 replies came from regular members ,one of whom (possibly 2 ) was a moderator at the time. They would have known that .

Last edited by a moderator:

BethAliceC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bonerp.
You seem to be labouring under a misapprehension. This forum Diabetes.co.uk is not and never has been a low carb forum. It is a forum for ALL diabetics.

Your original post, which would have been better in the pump forum did not make it clear that Chips were a rare event, in fact you said,

I do not consider one post from a low carber as flaming nor one, not from a low carber, that was obviously written as banter hence the smilie next to it to be flaming either.

Your question was answered with the carb content of chips so therefore you could work out your calculations much more accurately for your pump, job done.

As for joining DFL well there are many members here who belong to several diabetic forums on the net, it gives them a more rounded experience.

As for smart alek comments. Does answering your question make someone a smart alek ? You asked the question and it was answered by someone with the knowledge. A simple thank you would have sufficed.
Being diabetic doesn't mean you can't eat normally my god. The
Ok whenever I have chips, especially from the chippy I can't get it right. BGs are generally fairly high over an extended period, up to 6 hrs later!

Any ideas on a good count for these? Ie 20 grams of carbs per 50 grams of chips - just an example?!?

thanks guys and gals

Paul
i came on here looking for the same advice and this is the first thing I see. After being urged to come back to this site for support this is so disappointing. I do hope you found a real answer to your problem.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
It's a shame you feel this way but it's your call Beth. It's worth pointing out again that this thread is now over 5 years old and most of the posters are no longer around. I take on board your point, as I see you are on a pump but just for the record, type 2's can't eat the same way, and we are diabetics too. Anyway, that aside, it's a shame you feel unsupported - not sure exactly what type of support you are looking for exactly - why not ask?

Reactions: 5 people

jesterfellow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are people out there, T1 and T2 that are searching for information and finding this thread. Now I don't come on here very often, but I've read and participated in many different threads over the years, some health, some diabetic and loads from all other aspects of life (cars, engineering, political etc etc). Now I realise that this is an old thread, but it appears really high on google in certain searches and really does NOT do the diabetic community any good at all! I'd go so far as to say that it's the worst example of bullying on a site I have ever seen! Someone comes here and asks a perfectly normal question and although they do finally get SOME of the information they require, what they get in spades is bullying instead of understanding, finger pointing instead of caring and most of all a basic lack of understanding that we are ALL different! We lead different lives, take different medications, have different calorie intakes and levels of physical activity and very rarely what suits one person will suit another! This is a bad example of how to help people, especially when the so called moderators pitch in and help with the bullying....Not the best way to help anyone really, is it?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Interesting first message - welcome! As you pointed out, this thread is dead and buried, the mods concerned left years ago too.
For what it's worth, I don't see what you do. This isn't a charity run forum, it's a business so maybe people are more forthright, I don't know. I would say that the dietary "stuff" is not the same for type 2 as one, we can't generally cover what we eat with insulin, so therefore have to be more vigilant IF we want better controlled diabetes.
Anyway, that's an aside. You've picked one thread out of thousands. People can either choose not to come back - in which case there are other forums out there - or stat, ask questions, get a feel for the place - and the incredible support it has shown people at their lowest ebb, as well as those asking one off questions.
This IS a diabetic community, and proud to be so.