Pre-blood sugar before sleep

atr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what is safe bloodsugar should i be at? im currently taking 15 units lantus which is bring down my blood sugar to 6.1mmol/l or 110 mg/dl is it safe to sleep?
thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
welcome to the forum :)
for me that is a perfect going to bed number but i am fairly well practised in the art of Diabetes.
some people prefer to be a bit higher and a lot of doctors would prefer above 7 .

it is all about testing and knowing what your blood sugar is likely to do overnight.
the best way to be sure is to do basal testing ( long acting insulin - lantus or levemir )

link here for basal testing http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Reactions: 2 people

atr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh k good to know. I just increase my lantus dose because iv been getting high in morning like in 10 mmol or 180mg/dl or higher. but it seems that lantus is bring it down before bed. should i adjust it? endo told me increase by 1 every 3 days untill it gets to 8 mmol or 145 mg/dl

atr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh k good to know. I just increase my lantus dose because iv been getting high in morning like in 10 mmol or 180mg/dl or higher. but it seems that lantus is bring it down before bed. should i adjust it? endo told me increase by 1 every 3 days untill it gets to 8 mmol or 145 mg/dl
btw on insulin pen not pump

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
in a nutshell --- test test test -- use your meter to guide you
if your endo is suggesting the adjustments then increase the dose as suggested and test the outcome for 3 consecutive days before adjusting further.

the basal testing is primarily aimed at pump users but the principle works equally for us peeps on pens doing multile daily injections

atr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks i just don't want to be super low in middle of night . I'll test