LCHF query

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, the last few days I've reduced my carbohydrates extensively cutting out the main ones like rice, bread, pasta, potatoes.

However, as I'm still in honeymoon and having a ratio of 1:19/20 I'm not even needing any bolus insulin at mealtimes because of the reduction in carbs. What should I be doing regarding the novorapid? My lantus is 7 units and thinking of reducing this another unit?

This morning I had 4 scrambled eggs, 100g of greek yoghurt and 40 g of berries.

Started a little low on 3.8
After an hour 5.7
After two hours 4.2

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@teacher123 Just wondering how many carbs were in your brekkie? Did you work it out?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Teacher123, welcome to the exciting world of low carbohydrate! As a type 1 of 25 years, my personal experiences won't offer much help to you. However, hopefully I can point you towards some good info. Dr Troy Stapleton is an Australian doctor, diagnosed with type 1 in 2012. He eats a low carbohydrate diet, and currently only takes long acting insulin. Go to YouTube and check out his videos, they are really informative.
Low carbohydrate diets are not the advised way of doing things according to the nhs, so your healthcare team may not give you the best advice. If it turns out you don't need short acting insulin, your doctors probably won't agree, even when presented with evidence. Just remember one hard and fast rule: If your diet and insulin intake are giving you normal blood sugars, instructions to change are dust. Keep up regular blood testing, and if your blood sugars are not spiking above 7.8, you're doing great!

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Low carbohydrate diets are not the advised way of doing things according to the nhs, so your healthcare team may not give you the best advice.

I think things are beginning to change. When I told my consultant I was very low carbing he said 'good, that will keep your future insulin requirement low, and help keep your BG levels low too' when I asked him why he didn't tell me to low carb, he said because most patients can't handle it, but that the the diabetic hospital clinic would support and encourage any patient who wants to.