The SCREAM thread

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think Pompey Fc are much of a threat these days hope she got back pk
Not yet but my instructions have just arrived by text. I have to be at Fareham in an hour or so to pick them up, so as to avoid a half hour wait before they can get a connecting train.

She Who Must Be Obeyed....... :eek:

Agree about Pompey but it's still unsettling when we were all breathing the sacred air of St Mary's on Thursday :D

Reactions: 4 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Post script to the above: The train was over 20 minutes late at Fareham, which undid much of the benefit of going to collect them (though I can't get either of them to see the logic of this :))

I won't bore everyone with the all details because similar things happen all the time, but there were massive delays to trains to and from Brighton yesterday caused by shortage of drivers, carriages and probably the wrong sort of passengers :). This on a weekend when there was (a) a home match at Brighton and Hove Albion, (b) thousands of visitors had descended on the town for Pride weekend and (c) the weather was nice - all of these were known in advance (even the weather) and apparently ignored. It took half an hour of queuing, and two missed services, for them to get on a train that was heading even vaguely in the right direction. I sometimes think that the people "running" rail services live on another planet. We pay millions in taxpayer subsidies,and most of this money, it appears, is shovelled into the pockets of senior employees and the owners of the Train Companies, in return for passengers being treated like animals. BR was pretty grim in its heyday, but I often find myself wishing for its return.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :mad: :D

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

Post script to the above: The train was over 20 minutes late at Fareham, which undid much of the benefit of going to collect them (though I can't get either of them to see the logic of this :))

I won't bore everyone with the all details because similar things happen all the time, but there were massive delays to trains to and from Brighton yesterday caused by shortage of drivers, carriages and probably the wrong sort of passengers :). This on a weekend when there was (a) a home match at Brighton and Hove Albion, (b) thousands of visitors had descended on the town for Pride weekend and (c) the weather was nice - all of these were known in advance (even the weather) and apparently ignored. It took half an hour of queuing, and two missed services, for them to get on a train that was heading even vaguely in the right direction. I sometimes think that the people "running" rail services live on another planet. We pay millions in taxpayer subsidies,and most of this money, it appears, is shovelled into the pockets of senior employees and the owners of the Train Companies, in return for passengers being treated like animals. BR was pretty grim in its heyday, but I often find myself wishing for its return.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :mad: :D
Sooooo glad I learned to drive at 50.. .

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs hay-char and daughter both have full licences but we only have one car at the moment and my son needed to use it, to get to a temporary holiday job he's got. In any event, when I was driving to Fareham to pick them up, there were signs on the motorway saying that the A27 (the road going to Brighton from our part of the World) was closed.

You just can't win, sometimes :)

Reactions: 6 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in Italy on summer hols. Got a message from Thomsons today, telling us we'll be picked up on Wednesday at 6.50am to be taken to Verona airport. The flight isn't till 10.40am and the airport is at most 45 minutes away. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

The train I was going to get back to my town, was delayed by 29 mins, but managed to get a 10 mniute late cross country train, so that was good for me. Bur when I go to Southampton eye hospital and it gets delayed somewhere, I'm on tender hooks, but all A okay last week ;) :)

S

Sable_Jan

Mrs hay-char and daughter both have full licences but we only have one car at the moment and my son needed to use it, to get to a temporary holiday job he's got. In any event, when I was driving to Fareham to pick them up, there were signs on the motorway saying that the A27 (the road going to Brighton from our part of the World) was closed.

You just can't win, sometimes :)
Seems not :(

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to confess that this one has passed me by, somewhat, as I don't see much point in posting my fasting levels every morning, although I know that a lot of people find it a help and support in various ways.

I'm a member of another forum (completely different subject matter) which has recently gone through a spell of upset caused by the perceived high-handedness of community moderators, and where a breakaway forum has been set up. It's early days, but I suspect the new forum will be busy for a while and will then tail off: we will see.

In the end, a forum such as this is under the control of its owners; we tend to think of it as being democratic and uncontrolled, because that's the ethos of the Internet, but in reality it is their train set and their right to edit, delete or lock content as they see fit. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong - just that it's their privilege. Either we live with that, or we move on............

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have to confess that this one has passed me by, somewhat, as I don't see much point in posting my fasting levels every morning, although I know that a lot of people find it a help and support in various ways.

I'm a member of another forum (completely different subject matter) which has recently gone through a spell of upset caused by the perceived high-handedness of community moderators, and where a breakaway forum has been set up. It's early days, but I suspect the new forum will be busy for a while and will then tail off: we will see.

In the end, a forum such as this is under the control of its owners; we tend to think of it as being democratic and uncontrolled, because that's the ethos of the Internet, but in reality it is their train set and their right to edit, delete or lock content as they see fit. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong - just that it's their privilege. Either we live with that, or we move on............

Unfortunately many do move on, and rumblings are going on:wideyed: it is such a shame.:(

S

Shar67

Very big scream at people who Google symptoms then ask a million questions about how the illness will affect their life's and even haven't seen a doctor but want to go to the doctor armed with "evidence"

Reactions: 3 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Very big scream at people who Google symptoms then ask a million questions about how the illness will affect their life's and even haven't seen a doctor but want to go to the doctor armed with "evidence"

Oh yes! And on a similar vein, I have a friend who adopts my symptoms and then actually goes to the GP and says "I know I've got the same as Sue, I need her tablets/injections" :banghead::banghead: Thankfully the GP knows that I know she does it and sadly it's a symptom of her depression but Im ashasmed to say it drives me crazy.....:(:(

S

Sable_Jan

I have fibromyalgia, for years i never felt "quite right". It was a radio program about it that made me realise I "had something". I did research more about it...especially as I understood from the prog that many doctors were still of the mind that it WAS all in the mind, much like they were with ME. The mire I researched, the more it fit with how I'd felt for years. My next stop WAS the GP who was quite we'll up in it and sent me for hospital tests to rule out other things before confirming I was right.
"googling" symptoms isn't always a bad thing

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Oh yes! And on a similar vein, I have a friend who adopts my symptoms and then actually goes to the GP and says "I know I've got the same as Sue, I need her tablets/injections" :banghead::banghead: Thankfully the GP knows that I know she does it and sadly it's a symptom of her depression but Im ashasmed to say it drives me crazy.....:(:(
Just be cause you understand doesn't make it shameful to be annoyed by it....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I won't bore everyone with the all details because similar things happen all the time, but there were massive delays to trains to and from Brighton yesterday caused by shortage of drivers, carriages and probably the wrong sort of passengers :).

You forgot the include "leaves on the track"!!:D

Robbity

M

mrspuddleduck

Just be cause you understand doesn't make it shameful to be annoyed by it....

Thanks @Sable_Jan, my friend is a lovely person and there is absolutely no malice in her. She can't accept she has a mental health issue and its as if she believes that having a physical illness will somehow make her better. It's heartbreaking and yes if I'm honest her behaviour is really difficult to cope with, really I just want to scream because I feel I can't do anything to make her better. :(:(

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Re the Googling of symptoms..
I raised this issue on a fairly recent response I gave to a lady who had unfortunately suffered a traumatic bereavement, you can see the post by checking my profile. I have the feeling what I said went down like a lead balloon and there were many posts with the alternative view, which is fair enough - I kept quiet after that. Can I just say that this type of obsessive anxiety is very specific, it's called Health Anxiety and is a truly awful thing to live with.
I was a member of an anxiety/depression/phobia forum ( not for HA) and the amount of people who had this anxiety was staggering. The old name for it is hypochondria but that doesn't come close to scratching the surface, people are CONVINCED they have illness A, B or C and no amount of medical testing/ reassurance alters their thinking, most of the time is spent googling symptoms or illnesses. The suggestion that it is anxiety is often met with total refusal to accept it may even be a possibility. The trouble is that anxiety can come from nowhere, with no specific cause and the physical symptoms of severe, heightened anxiety can mimic many, many illnesses. I was going to start a thread about this, to make people aware that it exists, and that not everybody who comes here with convincing symptoms but no diagnosis, especially after numerous tests, has a physiological problem. They're not making these things up, they are really suffering symptoms, but the worst thing for HA is repeated reassurance as it just reinforces the fear - until they exhaust all avenues and then symptoms of something else appear. Therapy can often help but it's getting someone to see that in the first place.

S

Sable_Jan

Thanks @Sable_Jan, my friend is a lovely person and there is absolutely no malice in her. She can't accept she has a mental health issue and its as if she believes that having a physical illness will somehow make her better. It's heartbreaking and yes if I'm honest her behaviour is really difficult to cope with, really I just want to scream because I feel I can't do anything to make her better. :(:(
By just being her friend and accepting her problem is probably helping far more than you know...