Early morning exercise

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I am type one diabetic and there is an exercise class tomorrow at 6.30am. I do exercise early in the morning but it's usually a walk/ gentle jog which I feel ok having eaten just before. This is a metafit class so it's a lot more intense and I don't know how I will feel eating before hand but I don't know that I will manage my sugar if I haven't eaten? Would a small snack be ok and sipping lucazade throughout? Or do I eat breakfast and take my insulin? My sugar is usually between 4and6 upon waking.

Does anyone have any advice or tried and tested ideas?
Anything greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sarah

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone is different. It is a case of trial and error. I haven't a clue what megafit means but I presume you'll be using up lots of energy. You could eat breakfast but only bolus some of it. You'll be different from me but for me a 30% reduction in bolus and lots of testing, with jelly babies if necessary worked for me. I also found I needed to reduce my basal, as I would go hypo later.

Trial and error is necessary. Keep yourself safe - test, test and test again . . . But most of all, enjoy it!

Reactions: 4 people

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different. It is a case of trial and error. I haven't a clue what megafit means but I presume you'll be using up lots of energy. You could eat breakfast but only bolus some of it. You'll be different from me but for me a 30% reduction in bolus and lots of testing, with jelly babies if necessary worked for me. I also found I needed to reduce my basal, as I would go hypo later.

Trial and error is necessary. Keep yourself safe - test, test and test again . . . But most of all, enjoy it!

Thank you for your reply. I use insulin injections at the moment, but I'm hoping to go on a pump soon which I feel may be easier to control out of the ordinary things like early morning exercise because I could reduce my basal for an amount of time.

Metafit is high intensity interval training. So uses a lot more that a walk with the dog. As you say it's trial and error, I just wanted some suggestions to try!

Thank you x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The likelihood is that Metafit will cause your blood sugar to increase rather than decrease if you don't eat anything before it due to the stress that HIIT tends to cause.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't eat first, check my levels before I went in, take glucose tabs in with me, and if I felt hypo, deal with it in the moment.

Reactions: 3 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar increases during HIIT but I'm then much more insulin sensitive and prone to hypos in the 4-12 hours after the exercise. I'd not eat, or only have a very light breakfast/small snack beforehand, and then eat afterwards with a smaller insulin dose than usual.

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine normally goes higher after HIIT too, so I find it easier if I eat and have my insulin I don't get the massive spike after.

5.7 mmol before, had a 15g snack before and it's 10.0 mmol after! I'll take that as a success may have a slightly smaller snack next time, but may leave it as I don't think that was the most intense class. thank you everyone for your input!

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The likelihood is that Metafit will cause your blood sugar to increase rather than decrease if you don't eat anything before it due to the stress that HIIT tends to cause.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't eat first, check my levels before I went in, take glucose tabs in with me, and if I felt hypo, deal with it in the moment.

That's what I would do, the only problem is if I have a hypo I spend more time treating and not working out as its only a 30minute class. I'd rather do something to prevent it and keep my sugar more level. Worked out for the best. Thanks ️ x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's what I would do, the only problem is if I have a hypo I spend more time treating and not working out as its only a 30minute class. I'd rather do something to prevent it and keep my sugar more level. Worked out for the best. Thanks ️ x
If you are worried about it, just make sure you go into the session with a blood glucose level of around 8mmol/l by eating an appropriate amount of glucose. With a half hour session, it's highly unlikely that it will cause you to hypo if your bloods do go down.

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are worried about it, just make sure you go into the session with a blood glucose level of around 8mmol/l by eating an appropriate amount of glucose. With a half hour session, it's highly unlikely that it will cause you to hypo if your bloods do go down.

That's what I did and it worked. Cheers