pneumonia vaccine

Wads41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to the doctors the other day to see the nurse for a check up, all was well, but she said that because I'm diabetic that I should have the "PNEUMONIA VACCINE" as anyone else been advised to have it? I'm not sure that I really need it? Any advice would be great.
Just before Christmas I went to see the Practice Nurse,for yearly flu jab,she noted that I hadn't had a pneumonia jab,and advised me to have this one,I had both,no problems.The nurse did say that you only ever have to have this job once,hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed a few weeks ago the doctor said that, because I am diabetic, I should have a flu shot AND a pneumonia shot. They hit me in the left arm with one and the right with the other... not sure which. They claimed to put the more painful in my left, but the right arm had a week-long charlie horse... I could barely raise my arm over my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorothy1245

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had it before Christmas apparently you only need it once. My arm was sore for a few days but glad I had it done

Mad Rach

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely recommend it. I was offered it last year I'm 38, having researched online, I decided that it was worth having unless you are generally allergic to vaccinations. I was fine, no side effects and pleased to know that I now have protection against pneumonia plus Dom strains that can lead to blood poisoning.

Lalla63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the doctors the other day to see the nurse for a check up, all was well, but she said that because I'm diabetic that I should have the "PNEUMONIA VACCINE" as anyone else been advised to have it? I'm not sure that I really need it? Any advice would be great.
I was diagnosed last month... Before I left the surgery I'd had the pneumonia jab! Said all diabetics should have it, so long as you're not allergic to eggs!

fuzzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I decided to have my pneumonia jab Friday evening. Had the solid hot arm for 2 days, and have then ached more and more. Now at day 6, I'm in bed sweating and ache all over. Not allergic to eggs and dont nirmally react badly. Just to warn you you may suffer. Still worth it tho as I work in situations where people have pneumonia.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The pneumonia vaccine wasn't offered after my MI, it was only after a friend enquired as to whether I'd had the flu and pneumonia jab - I had to request both. I'm led to believe it only covers for the common strains of pneumonia, not all - I'd personally take whatever they are dishing out with that vaccine.

Lesley60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude, arrogant, mean people.
I was offered pneumonia jab by nurse at GP surgery when she was doing my yearly flu jab couple of years ago. I decided to have it and had no ill effects whatsoever.
Agree with others on here that its worth having done.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read memo on GP's office wall and said can I have that and he said yes and did it there and then.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband who has asthma and a pace maker had it a couple of years ago but I've not been offered it yet

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
My husband who has asthma and a pace maker had it a couple of years ago but I've not been offered it yet
If you are diabetic you should have been offered both, I'm sure if you asked they would give it to you

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When I have my flu jab I may ask about it then!
Yeh I would, we are only 2 months away now from this years vaccinations and might as well get them over in one go

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was offered both when i was first diagnosed and had them on separate occasions, without any side effects. But I didn't have an annual flu jab last year because I was a little concerned over reported side effects.

Both my elderly husband and getting-on-for-middle-age niece had pneumonia a few years ago. My husband was OK in bed at home with doctor's visits and didn't appear to have had it too badly, but my niece was seriously ill and hospitalized.

Robbity

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was offered both when i was first diagnosed and had them on separate occasions, without any side effects. But I didn't have an annual flu jab last year because I was a little concerned over reported side effects.

Both my elderly husband and getting-on-for-middle-age niece had pneumonia a few years ago. My husband was OK in bed at home with doctor's visits and didn't appear to have had it too badly, but my niece was seriously ill and hospitalized.

Robbity
I had it too a few years ago and was in hospital on constant oxygen and nebulisers and had a collapsed lung, there is no way I would miss my jab even tho' last years strain had mutated before we got the vaccine (or something like that) and therefore didn't work very well, I had bronchitis & that was bad enough.
Never had a problem with my flu jab any other year though

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yep, I'm following suit! I had this alongside my flu jab probably about 10 years ago now!

Reactions: 4 people