Advice on diet

davetee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm making changes to my diet...going is the bread, donuts, biscuits, sugary stuff, etc. I planning on having the following..with some changes from time to time. I'm overweight and need to lose about 3 stone...need to get out walking more also.

Breakfast - Jordans Country Crisp - mainly due due it's low salt content (have high bp) - with Oat Milk

Lunch - Smoothie made with Banana, Berries, Apple juice, Almond Milk, couple of spoons of Oats

Dinner - 2x chicken drumsticks with sweet potato, or coleslaw, or rice

Snacks - seed mix, cashews, pears, apples

Any other suggestions welcome.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good start. Have you had a look at what other forum members eat? I see from your other thread you aren't testing regularly and your blood sugar is quite high when you do.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dave,

In general, you can find many food ideas in other threads. What type of diet do you want to follow? If you want to cut down on sugar, I doubt that store-bought granola is a good idea. How much sugar does Jordan's Country Crisp contain?

As an addition, I suggest vegetables, a wide variety and particularly green ones. :p

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello davetee, welcome
What is normally considered a healthy diet will cause you to have high sugar levels and make it extremely difficult to get rid of any excess weight. You need to be careful with fruit it is full of sugar, your lunch time smoothie would send my bs into orbit. Have a look at this link it explains suitable diets for diabetes
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046989.php

Reactions: 2 people

davetee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dave,

In general, you can find many food ideas in other threads. What type of diet do you want to follow? If you want to cut down on sugar, I doubt that store-bought granola is a good idea. How much sugar does Jordan's Country Crisp contain?

As an addition, I suggest vegetables, a wide variety and particularly green ones. :p

Jordans is one of the only cereals I can stomach, apart from Porridge with fruit bits in. What cereal doesn't have sugar in.

Energy 1904kJ 856kJ
453kcal 204kcal
Fat 15.6g 7.0g
of which Saturates 4.8g 2.2g
Mono-unsaturates 7.0g 3.2g
Polyunsaturates 3.5g 1.6g
Carbohydrate 67.5g 30.4g
of which Sugars 23.5g 10.6g
Fibre 6.2g 2.8g
Protein 7.5g 3.4g
Salt <0.03g <0.01g

davetee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello davetee, welcome
What is normally considered a healthy diet will cause you to have high sugar levels and make it extremely difficult to get rid of any excess weight. You need to be careful with fruit it is full of sugar, your lunch time smoothie would send my bs into orbit. Have a look at this link it explains suitable diets for diabetes
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046989.php

And yet NHS advice says eat plenty of fruit and vegetable, but then again they also say base meals around potatoes, pasta,rice, bread, etc.

davetee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good start. Have you had a look at what other forum members eat? I see from your other thread you aren't testing regularly and your blood sugar is quite high when you do.

Just tested...after a cup of coffee...it was 9.1

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, if you believe everything the NHS tells you, the likelihood is that you will end up a vegetable ;) Give them their due, they do try.
Have a look around at the success stories of people adopting a Low Carb High Fat Diet and food regimes that have worked for other members.There is also information about a recent study conducted by Newcastle University witnessing Type 2 diabetics going back to normal readings - it's a matter of choosing the right advice that gets you to the place that you are happy with.

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm making changes to my diet... Jordans Country Crisp - ... Banana ... juice ... Oats ... sweet potato ... rice ...

I was diagnosed T2 in May, and am now around 6 weeks into my major changeover to a low carb diet. I was on what i thought was a healthy diet before, and have been surprised at just how much carbohydrate it included. You're planning to include a lot of things that for now, I've cut right out. My levels are only slowly coming down, and I'm glucose monitoring, so I know exactly how slow they're coming down!

I have no cereal of any sort, including things like pasta and rice. Almost no fruit, and when I do have some, it's the low-carb fruits (so never bananas, for example). Never any fruit juice.

I've got caught out - was out walking yesterday (i.e. doing something GOOD for me), and mid afternoon was horribly hungry despite a good packed picnic lunch. The only non-sweet thing I could buy in a cafe was a sandwich, so I went for tuna. I know I'll get caught out and can't always plan for all eventualities. But for now, I tell myself - and friends and family - this is better than going blind, having my kidneys pack up, etc. Most of them have no idea what the complications of diabetes are, so I do dramatise, and in a funny way it helps me along, too.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Jordans is one of the only cereals I can stomach, apart from Porridge with fruit bits in. What cereal doesn't have sugar in.

Energy 1904kJ 856kJ
453kcal 204kcal
Fat 15.6g 7.0g
Carbohydrate 67.5g 30.4g
Fibre 6.2g 2.8g
Protein 7.5g 3.4g
Salt <0.03g <0.01g
There are lots of nice things to eat for breakfast that aren't cereals. Cereals are full of carbs, which need to be reduced if we are going to get our blood sugar levels down.

davetee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are lots of nice things to eat for breakfast that aren't cereals. Cereals are full of carbs, which need to be reduced if we are going to get our blood sugar levels down.

Any good examples.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Energy 1904kJ 856kJ
453kcal 204kcal
Fat 15.6g 7.0g
Carbohydrate 67.5g 30.4g
Fibre 6.2g 2.8g
Protein 7.5g 3.4g
Salt <0.03g <0.01g

I am not on a weight-loss diet, so I have some carbs (100g/day). Hence, I often eat cacao zoats, which is homemade porridge with grated courgette and raw cacao, boiled over night in a slow cooker, and then eaten with coconut milk. I understand that this is not everyone's favourite, especially not for those used to some sweetness in their food ;)

Sometimes I make my own granola with nuts and coconut oil, then I add a spoon full of oats to it when I eat it with yoghurt. I do not buy packaged cerials from a store.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As regards the NHS, becoming T2 has been a real wake-up call for me as to what the NHS does and doesn't do. I'd never really had to think that hard about it. I know people say they don't do prevention well, but I drifted through getting on for 10 years being told I might well become diabetic when I now realise I could have been 10 years into a prevention lifestyle, and have better health all round. I thought they were the 'experts'.

Reactions: 6 people

davetee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm getting more information and advice on the internet than I've ever had from the NHS. After adopting the LCHF approach I'm already seeing some changes.

First thing I did was clear out my cupboards..hate waste but it was necessary

Reactions: 9 people

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
There are many good food ideas out there. In general, you can find them everywhere including some authoritative websites. If you follow them seriously, you will feel it is really amazing. You have to cut down on sugar and other bad food. Best luck of you.
Here A good article for you. http://www.natural-diabetestreatment.com/diabetes-destroyer-review/

Last edited by a moderator: