Diabetes and weight gain? Type1.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I'm 23 and was diagnosed with type 1 a couple of months ago. The diabetic nurses and consultants that I have seen have all mentioned that it's not unusual to put on weight as a result of the insulin.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain/loss as a result of their insulin? I know it sounds very vain to worry about this considering all the other complications that diabetes brings but I've always been slightly obsessive about my weight and am panicked at the bought of piling on the pounds :/

Thank you! Xxx

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi!

I'm 23 and was diagnosed with type 1 a couple of months ago. The diabetic nurses and consultants that I have seen have all mentioned that it's not unusual to put on weight as a result of the insulin.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain/loss as a result of their insulin? I know it sounds very vain to worry about this considering all the other complications that diabetes brings but I've always been slightly obsessive about my weight and am panicked at the bought of piling on the pounds :/

Thank you! Xxx

Hi @beckyfletcher2804

Welcome to the forums, it's not insulin itself that makes you gain weight. There are variables, you, your carb/calorie intake and how you manage the condition.

If you reduce your carb/calorie intake then you shouldn't have a problem. If you get into a situation whereby you are continuously eating to avoid having hypo's then possibly you could see some weight gain. If you lost any weight during the pre-diagnosis phase then you might reasonably expect that you will return to your former weight after a few weeks.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Generally people will put the weight back on that they lost pre-diagnosis, as long as you watch what you eat there's no reason why you should put on any extra weight Becky, if injecting insulin lead to excess weight gain then every type 1 (and type 2 who use insulin) would be overweight.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posts. Just control the carbs and your weight should remain fine.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah thankyou! Yeah just getting used to putting the weight back on after DKA which is probably fuelling my paranoia about this haha. I feel much better after reading this, I was getting so confused when I googled it and people were saying Lantus made them gain weight, I didn't realise how that could be physically if you're eating the same?

It's difficult getting told different things too, one nurse told me I should be eating carbs with every meal as well as snacks between which just seemed like a ridiculous amount! I then got told by another nurse that this was a very dated suggestion which was a relief!

Thanks for the help! :) xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, the nurse's advice to have lots of carbs and snacks was completely wrong.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have learned to ignore most of what nurses say about anything. Doctors have far more training, and they are more careful with what they say.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
one nurse told me I should be eating carbs with every meal as well as snacks between...xx
Yes, like thirty years ago, that was true, but not on Lantus. If you find yourself going hypo and needing snacks between meals, it is a good sign that your basal insulin dose is too high. (old school: "feed the insulin, feed the insulin")

If you do put on weight, the only way to lose it is to cut down what you eat. Same as for everyone. Now you are diabetic you just need to cut your insulin dose at the same time.

I tend to put on weight when I get fitter. When you get fitter and more muscular, your insulin requirements go down and you start to have hypos. If you just absentmindedly grab snacks to fend off hypos, over a few weeks you put on weight without realizing what you are doing. I was doing this a couple of months ago. Then I started logging every single thing I ate and realized exactly how much I was snacking, and that I really needed to cut my insulin doses instead.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Generally if you have been diagnosed as a T1 you may well have lost weight....

I'm the same size 8 as I was 30 years ago pre diagnosis. However I weigh 9st now compared to my weight sliding right down to 71/2st when I was actually diagnosed. I must have been the quivalent of a size zero then...

There is no need to gain weight.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on set doses or are you carb counting?

Ive got no idea how to carb count, it's one of those phrases I'm told will 'be explained to me' but hasn't as yet haha. I was diagnosed while I was in Australia, a few weeks before I was due to fly home, so was told everything would be gone over and explained properly here in England. Its been over 6 weeks since I got back but I've got a referral with the hospital in 2 weeks and I'm told carb counting will be explained! So hopefully stuff will start to feel less confusing, at the moment I'm just guessing with insulin amounts :/

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive got no idea how to carb count, it's one of those phrases I'm told will 'be explained to me' but hasn't as yet haha. I was diagnosed while I was in Australia, a few weeks before I was due to fly home, so was told everything would be gone over and explained properly here in England. Its been over 6 weeks since I got back but I've got a referral with the hospital in 2 weeks and I'm told carb counting will be explained! So hopefully stuff will start to feel less confusing, at the moment I'm just guessing with insulin amounts :/
God that's really bad, it's really unfair to just leave you like that! Well the carb counting is different for everyone and is quite trial and error as some foods make some people high but doesn't affect others as much, but the good news is with courses like DAFNE (which is dosage adjustment for normal eating) you can have treats and take more insulin for it by working out carbs and dosages! Don't worry too much about weight, I've yet to meet an overweight type 1 diabetic actually!

Tanyah2502

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
If u type Bdec carb counting on google it will bring up a online course at Bournemouth hospital. My son who's 19 was diagnosed last month with type 1. I found the online course really helpful while waiting to do a course at hospital ,which we did on Monday. Good luck and take control I'm so proud of my son and the attitude he has towards his diabetes , he's decided there's nothing he can do to change it , he's taken control and managing it really well , considering he was rushed to hospital while I was away abroad, and was very ill and that's how we found out he's had no honey moon period and they think he's had it a while and just no real signs good luck x

Reactions: 2 people

Chrisevans23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey

Yer I lost about 3 stone just before I got diagnosed and now can't stop putting it on (5 months after). I've found low calorie m high carb foods like bananas or lucozade sport drinks are really good if your working out a lot just to sip as your doing excercise

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi,

I was diagnosed on 30th of july this year, and I'm struggling :(
What are you struggling with... Choices of foods? Melds? Doctors?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You are young, so I take it that you are a type 1?