Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi All

Done some basal testing using my Libre and have found my sweet spot now using Lantus which holds me steady
The only readings coming in out of range are my waking reading each morning, this is usually between 7 and up to 9.9 some mornings.
On mornings where it is 7 I dont bolus to lower it until I eat my breakfast, on mornings where it is in the 9's I take a correction upon waking. However this morning I was 9.5 when I woke at 6.30 am, I took 2.5 units Novorapid and 2 hours later my BS was still 9.1???? Any ideas??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi All

Done some basal testing using my Libre and have found my sweet spot now using Lantus which holds me steady
The only readings coming in out of range are my waking reading each morning, this is usually between 7 and up to 9.9 some mornings.
On mornings where it is 7 I dont bolus to lower it until I eat my breakfast, on mornings where it is in the 9's I take a correction upon waking. However this morning I was 9.5 when I woke at 6.30 am, I took 2.5 units Novorapid and 2 hours later my BS was still 9.1???? Any ideas??

Hi Bri, your still working through your quick acting 2 hours later, so don't get too wound up about this, give it a full 4 hours before jumping in with more QA.

The other thing to think about is whether you have an infection which will hold your BG at a steady high, if you see repeated patterns then record and take action but on the basis of one morning, see what your results are like tomorrow first.

If it makes you feel better I think i've got an infection as woke at 14.8 this morning, still at 14.4 with correction doses 5 hours later, however I know it's temporary and will come right again in a couple of days ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi Bri, your still working through your quick acting 2 hours later, so don't get too wound up about this, give it a full 4 hours before jumping in with more QA.

The other thing to think about is whether you have an infection which will hold your BG at a steady high, if you see repeated patterns then record and take action but on the basis of one morning, see what your results are like tomorrow first.

If it makes you feel better I think i've got an infection as woke at 14.8 this morning, still at 14.4 with correction doses 5 hours later, however I know it's temporary and will come right again in a couple of days ;)
Thanks for the reply Juicyj
I have been having those sort of readings for a couple of weeks now so just thought I would ask on here for any advice/tips before seeing my DSN

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
My fasting blood sugar has been pretty bad the last month or so. I eventually realized I have gained a lot of weight making my basal dose insufficient. I tried a number things before reaching this conclusion such as no eating after 7 pm, stop statins , doubled exercise. All very frustrating

As for Bolus not working try rotating injection sites , I find if I inject into a 'happy spot' the dose does not work as expected.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
My fasting blood sugar has been pretty bad the last month or so. I eventually realized I have gained a lot of weight making my basal dose insufficient. I tried a number things before reaching this conclusion such as no eating after 7 pm, stop statins , doubled exercise. All very frustrating

As for Bolus not working try rotating injection sites , I find if I inject into a 'happy spot' the dose does not work as expected.
I have gained 1.8 kg in the past few weeks, could be that maybe

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Bri - sorry I didnt realise this has been going on a while, yes I would definately contact your DSN to run through this with them. As long as your taking the right QA doses then it needs further investigation, particularly if you've gained weight as it will affect your basal dose.

I find an hours exercise can normally get me back in range but it's just finding the time..

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members

Might well be the cause. I gained a lot more weight (~ 10 kg) due to eating more Carbs and not checking weight for several months. Quite a surprise as I exercise quite strenuously every day. Back to Low carb , low calorie, low fat for me :)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

agree with others - your experience could be due to a number of things, one of which could be your weight gain. Any weight gain has a knock on effect on control/insulin need. It is the same with even tiny amounts of weight loss. I find insulin use re-sets are a nightmare, and that even weight variation of less than a kg has to be adjusted for, especially the morning base rates, it may be best to get to a weight you are happy with, then reset things and stay at that weight.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I can so relate to this Type1Bri

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could well be that lovely dawn phenomenon coming into play, hugely common and difficult to sort, the only way I could on MDI was with split dose levemir as basal. As far as the numbers not coming down with correction, people tend to be more resistant to insulin in the morning, I personal feel I could have a bucket of insulin in the morning and not see much of a change whereas the rest of the day I am pretty insulin sensitive as such I have a correction ratio of 1:2 in the morning and 1:3.5 in the afternoon/evening. I also have a dramatic difference in carb ratios (1:8 in the morning to 1:18 at night)