Paramedic making decisions on Type1's ability to look after his children.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
In reply to many questions. Yes I do have an insulin pump. My 5 year old son has always had an extremely high interest in my diabetes. I've shown him everything, I even let him do my bloodsugar for me, me and my ex partner taught Elliot what to do in an I emergency, invade I did fall hypo whilst I was looking after them, and that was to call mummy and if I fall unconscious then to phone for an ambulance. It wasn't as such putting that responsibility on him, it was for emergencies if something like this happened. How many people can be proud to say that their 5year old son potentially saved their life? Me ex partner had got to the scene in under 5 minutes so much sooner than the paramedics. But the way the paramedic treated me, the way he spoke to me and the things that he said I think we're extremely insulting and wrong. He said that it was child abusers putting that kind of responsibility on a child. Ok so what would have happened if Elliot hadn't been show. What to do? I could have slipped into a coma and potentially died. Then the children would have certainly been at risk. I suffer from hypoglycemia unawareness, and I can't deal with hypos on my own as I black out and will eventually have en epileptic seizure which is triggered from an extremely low bloodsugar. I've had diabetes for 16 years and i've battled against it for the last 10. I've tried and tried my best to deal with it, but it's an on going battle. I have many underlying health problems, some caused by poor control, others just came upon me. I have other problems in my life to deal with and then I have my diabetes. It's made me morbidly depressed and I just can't cope with it! Please I did not ask for slander, I just wanted to raise awareness as to how I was treated by a professional. It was as if I'd brought it on my self. Or I was a violent drunk. I was in need of reassurance and comforting not to be made to feel like a victim. I hope this clears things up for you all. Thank you so much for your support.

March.
I agree, the way the ambulance person spoke to you was completely out of order. Even if you had been in the wrong (and I don't think you were) there was no need for him to make any comments to you, especially since you were still recovering and unable to speak. His role would have been to refer the matter to other people, and to take care of your medical needs at the time. I'm glad you made a formal complaint and I hope the outcome is in your favour. This is blatant discrimination against someone with a disability, and it's a breach of human rights. You taking such a stand actually benefits us all, so thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also want to say that I saw your other post where it seemed you just wanted some support . Instead you got a lot of medical advice and what seemed to be people telling you how to best manage YOUR diabetes. Not everyone here thinks like that . I do not subscribe to that way of approach and I know a few others here don't as well . I know that some people just need support and a welcome while others here seem to want to tell others how best to manage their disease . I SMH on that .

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I also want to say that I saw your other post where it seemed you just wanted some support . Instead you got a lot of medical advice and what seemed to be people telling you how to best manage YOUR diabetes. Not everyone here thinks like that . I do not subscribe to that way of approach and I know a few others here don't as well . I know that some people just need support and a welcome while others here seem to want to tell others how best to manage their disease . I SMH on that .
Actually they were being helpful and supportive, and making suggestions that might help him. He didn't say he felt they were telling him what to do or being unsupportive. Like any member who posts in this forum saying what's going wrong for them with their health management, I don't think he was opposed to people making suggestions. If you would like people to not make suggestions to you about your health, please let us know in advance.

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually they were being helpful and supportive, and making suggestions that might help him. He didn't say he felt they were telling him what to do or being unsupportive. Like any member who posts in this forum saying what's going wrong for them with their health management, I don't think he was opposed to people making suggestions. If you would like people to not make suggestions to you about your health, please let us know in advance.

I was not directing this at you in any way . I would only kindly ask you to please refrain from commenting on my post that was specific to him. I was commenting on another post where he did not ask for medical support . He asked that people read his story .he probably is well aware especially after what happened of what options are out there . Maybe he was asking for some support without judgement .

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was not directing this at you in any way . I would only kindly ask you to please refrain from commenting on my post that was specific to him. I was commenting on another post where he did not ask for medical support . He asked that people read his story .he probably is well aware especially after what happened of what options are out there . Maybe he was asking for some support without judgement .
I know which post you were referring to, because it's pretty easy for anyone to figure it out. That makes it easy for anyone to see who you were criticising, yet unless they read this thread they won't know you've been badmouthing them. I don't think it shows much goodwill to speak about other forum members in that way. You are criticising people for "judging" him, while judging others yourself. And I don't think you're doing Marchticus any favours either. How about letting him fight his own battles if he wants to, or contacting those people directly to tell them what you think of their posts.

Anyway, back to the OP. Marchticus, if there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with the complaint. Unfortunately these things can take a long time - in NZ it's not unusual for a complaint to take 12-18 months to be resolved, although the NHS ambulance service might want to deal with this more quickly. It reflects badly on the whole ambulance service.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know which post you were referring to, because it's pretty easy for anyone to figure it out. That makes it easy for anyone to see who you were criticising, yet unless they read this thread they won't know you've been badmouthing them. I don't think it shows much goodwill to speak about other forum members in that way. You are criticising people for "judging" him, while judging others yourself. And I don't think you're doing Marchticus any favours either. How about letting him fight his own battles if he wants to, or contacting those people directly to tell them what you think of their posts.

Anyway, back to the OP. Marchticus, if there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with the complaint. Unfortunately these things can take a long time - in NZ it's not unusual for a complaint to take 12-18 months to be resolved, although the NHS ambulance service might want to deal with this more quickly. It reflects badly on the whole ambulance service.

Where did I bad mouth anyone ? You seem not to understand the difference between bad mouthing and stating an opinion .

C

catherinecherub

It is obvious that both of you, @CatLadyNZ and @Anaelena clash wherever you post and this is coming an issue that other forum members are getting fed up with. Other posters do not need to keep reading your comments to each other, which derail threads.

Either put each other on the ignore list or risk having your posts deleted/edited. It serves no purpose and does little to help other posters. The PM system could also be used to thrash out your differences.

Reactions: 6 people

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
The paramedic behaved horrifically without doubt. I would put in a complaint against him if I were treated that way. On the larger issue though I do think there is this wall of silence when it comes to type one parents being able to look after children. Sometimes we are not able to do that, but this is clearly not one of these cases. More dialogue should happen though and I think kids should get more support in learning about a parent or sibling's disease. I am type one but so is my mum. I have been in little Elliot's position and it is terrifying and not something anyone wants a child to have to cope with but children are tougher than most adults I think. They have a determination we seem to lose we we gain more knowledge of the world. I remember before I was diagnosed frantically forcing biscuits at my mum as she sat in the middle of the floor talking nonsense. I got her fresh orange juice and then phoned my granddad. I must have been 4. Scary but not traumatizing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The paramedic behaved horrifically without doubt. I would put in a complaint against him if I were treated that way. On the larger issue though I do think there is this wall of silence when it comes to type one parents being able to look after children. Sometimes we are not able to do that, but this is clearly not one of these cases. More dialogue should happen though and I think kids should get more support in learning about a parent or sibling's disease. I am type one but so is my mum. I have been in little Elliot's position and it is terrifying and not something anyone wants a child to have to cope with but children are tougher than most adults I think. They have a determination we seem to lose we we gain more knowledge of the world. I remember before I was diagnosed frantically forcing biscuits at my mum as she sat in the middle of the floor talking nonsense. I got her fresh orange juice and then phoned my granddad. I must have been 4. Scary but not traumatizing.

A great post, thank you:).

RRB :)