Called into the office for using my insulin in staffroom

Rita60

I had a boss who when sitting in my office having lunch would complain about me injecting my insulin, although I did it into my leg below my desk, I told him if he didn't like it leave my office!

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had a boss who when sitting in my office having lunch would complain about me injecting my insulin, although I did it into my leg below my desk, I told him if he didn't like it leave my office!

High 5 Rita :)

Reactions: 4 people

rogerzanker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People telling me how and what I need to eat
I take mine in front off people if they don't like it then they don't have to look do they xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
My thoughts exactly I inject myself where ever I am I try to be as discrete as I can but they'll always be someone that objects. As for using a toilet to test and to inject yourself that's a non started it's breeding ground for all sorts of infects

Reactions: 2 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
when is the people going to accept theres 1ooos of people out there with diabetes.. myself well i always go to the toilet,out of the way of prying eyes.
I was in a club one evening and went to the toilet to inject, someone in there must have went to a member of staff and the next thing I knew I was being grilled by a bouncer as I was just about to leave the toilet, when I explained what I was doing and showed the bouncer my novorapid he was ok

I still seek out toilets to inject, but do inject in full public view if I need too if a toilet is not nearby

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I was in a club one evening and went to the toilet to inject, someone in there must have went to a member of staff and the next thing I knew I was being grilled by a bouncer as I was just about to leave the toilet, when I explained what I was doing and showed the bouncer my novorapid he was ok

I still seek out toilets to inject, but do inject in full public view if I need too if a toilet is not nearby
Don't see why you should have to go to the loo! It's a medical condition and if people don't like it then they can look away! Hugs to you!

amj789

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How about trying to discuss it with the people concerned/have a staff meeting about it? What I find most upsetting is that nobody had the guts to address the matter with you personally, but that they took it to your superior!! Don't let these folk depress you! take care x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I feel the same- whilst I understand it does still make some people uncomfortable seeing injections or blood testing-they should have spoken directly with this lady if they were also work friends, rather than going behind her back.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't see why you should have to go to the loo! It's a medical condition and if people don't like it then they can look away! Hugs to you!

Hi, I suppose it would depend on what type of club it was, maybe lots of people drinking or dancing, often subdued lighting. tbh, I wouldn't care where I injected, a rest room/toilet would be adequate as long as hands are washed first, thoroughly dried, then again afterwards or the use of a anti bacterial hand wash afterwards. It wouldn't be my choice, but sometimes needs must IMO.

Best wishes RRB

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, I suppose it would depend on what type of club it was, maybe lots of people drinking or dancing, often subdued lighting. tbh, I wouldn't care where I injected, a rest room/toilet would be adequate as long as hands are washed first, thoroughly dried, then again afterwards or the use of a anti bacterial hand wash afterwards. It wouldn't be my choice, but sometimes needs must IMO.

Best wishes RRB
I don't think anyone should feel compelled to injecting in a toilet! Toilets are not hygienic places! Especially ones which are shared with other people. Nightclubs will be even worse as some of the people using them will be drunk and miss, not wash hands, etc I could go on but fear that people would need mind bleach after reading this. My aunt has to inject. This has often been done whilst dining out and has been very quick and discreet. I don't believe in catering for silly people who need to get a grip and this is in essence what these people are who complain. It's high time some of them grew up!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't think anyone should feel compelled to injecting in a toilet! Toilets are not hygienic places! Especially ones which are shared with other people. Nightclubs will be even worse as some of the people using them will be drunk and miss, not wash hands, etc I could go on but fear that people would need mind bleach after reading this. My aunt has to inject. This has often been done whilst dining out and has been very quick and discreet. I don't believe in catering for silly people who need to get a grip and this is in essence what these people are who complain. It's high time some of them grew up!

I still say if needs must or if it was so bad, ask if there was a small room available.I wouldn't want to inject in a very busy club whist loads of people are milling about, drinking dancing, got to find somewhere more discreet. That's my opinion even though I don't go to clubs. I wouldn't be catering for silly crass individuals, I would do it for my own reasons. As long as it's in a small area where no one is barging about, that's fine, but a toilet, rest room would be a last resort and it wouldn't be because of upsetting others delicate squeamish tendencies that's for sure.
As you're a teacher (still)? you take them on board and educate them properly:)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I still say if needs must or if it was so bad, ask if there was a small room available.I wouldn't want to inject in a very busy club whist loads of people are milling about, drinking dancing, got to find somewhere more discreet. That's my opinion even though I don't go to clubs. I wouldn't be catering for silly crass individuals, I would do it for my own reasons. As long as it's in a small area where no one is barging about, that's fine, but a toilet, rest room would be a last resort and it wouldn't be because of upsetting others delicate squeamish tendencies that's for sure.
As you're a teacher (still)? you take them on board and educate them properly:)
Supply now I don't have to work full time! And I do educate them. Oddly enough, it's the adults not the kids who need the reeducation - hence this thread! I was told to test in the cupboard. Errrr....... No! Why should I? I tested at my desk and would do so in the future if I needed to. I object to anyone having to go into a toilet to test/inject as it is completely unhygienic. If someone chooses to go to a quiet place then that's fair enough but nobody should be made to leave the room or go to a toilet and I'm sure that any employer who went down this route could end up facing discrimination charges.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Supply now I don't have to work full time! And I do educate them. Oddly enough, it's the adults not the kids who need the reeducation - hence this thread! I was told to test in the cupboard. Errrr....... No! Why should I? I tested at my desk and would do so in the future if I needed to. I object to anyone having to go into a toilet to test/inject as it is completely unhygienic. If someone chooses to go to a quiet place then that's fair enough but nobody should be made to leave the room or go to a toilet and I'm sure that any employer who went down this route could end up facing discrimination charges.

You were told to finger prick in a cupboard, good god, just pathetic :mad: :eek:

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was in Carlisle cemetery taking a novorapid jab when a gardener shouted at me he said ill get the police I said please do, the police did arrive I should him the diabetic card I carry and my insulin pen, the police officer told the council gardener to stop wasting police time that I was a diabetic and it was ok to inject insulin in a place like Carlisle cemetery.

Reactions: 10 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I was in Carlisle cemetery taking a novorapid jab when a gardener shouted at me he said ill get the police I said please do, the police did arrive I should him the diabetic card I carry and my insulin pen, the police officer told the council gardener to stop wasting police time that I was a diabetic and it was ok to inject insulin in a place like Carlisle cemetery.
LOL
I told a friend I had not seen for a while that I had gotten onto heroin and showed him my penstick and needle, he believed me for a split second until I burst out laughing:D

chhabra

Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.
I'm deeply hurt is about all i can really say.
employment lawyer KARLA legal group google them sue them go for the works stress the lot tell anita raj refused you

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I would suggest that your colleagues need some training on diabetes- they should have all been given first aid training by now and they also need training on discrimination as this is a legal requirement.
Tel your manager that it is fine but he needs to provide you with equal facilities to take your break as when you blood test you "May" need to react immediately. You need a fridge to keep spares in - ie a cartridge and a kettle to have your drink as you are entitled to as long a break as your colleagues and this will therefore take longer now. You are also entitled to time to deal with your medical condition which you have never claimed previously. it is unacceptable to be excepted to go to a toilet where there are germs and no clean sides to keep your stuff as you will need to keep your Lucozade there also.
I had this situation many years ago. They soon decided that colleagues needed to now about discrimination and unfair dismissal.

I would take a camera and photograph where you are now and ask where they intend putting you. take some photos that you can use with the CAB if needed and ask if they have a legal department.

M.E.diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go back to the manager and say that staff are welcome to go eat elsewhere if they feel uncomfortable!

petoria

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Would a person in need of an epi pen injection be asked to do it more discreetly so others wouldn't be offended?

I have found some people's laughter and choice of outfits extremely uncomfortable in the staffroom. Sometimes the outfits directly abuse the schools policy and nothing is done.

I was so ignorant to diabetes before my daughter was diagnosed. I'm ashamed at how little I knew. Her peers are always intrigued by her blood tests and injections. They frequently ask questions and never make rude comments. I hope their inquisitiveness continues to be positive as they grow into adults so more people understand what is involved with this disease and don't end up ignorant and cruel.

collette17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Omg that's so wrong its not your doing it for fun fgs I'm t2 and just on oral meds I can't begin to understand how you must be feeling after that its so wrong don't they understand that you have feelings too keep your chin up hope they sort something for you xxxx

CUILLIN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work,
Sorry if i bring this up, i read a post earlier today by a teacher who experienced same thing that happened to me this morning.

My day started, but manager wanted to have a few words, said its nothing serious, then went on to say that several people have mentioned that they feel uncomfortable when i take my insulin in staff room, i use a novapen, i eat my dinner, was my plates, then take my insulin, i feel i'm discreet, i take my jumper off and just lift my sleeve, few clicks and its gone, i don't pull down my trousers or sit with a big syringe while i draw the insulin, now i've always as many of you have struggled through life trying to be accepted as having a normal life, but to be told that i should get up and go and take it else where, means i'm hiding my problem, i'm being pushed into a corner so i don't upset peoples peace, I admit i got very angry and upset, felt like crying myself as i've worked with these people for years and felt that they all understood i had Diabetes and accepted the things i have to do, but obviously not, i now feel like i've gone back to the dark ages and struggling to find how i can work with people like this who can't even speak to me about it.
I'm deeply hurt is about all i can really say.
How awful for you, these people need to be educated, You have done nothing wrong, try not to let it uset you too much, it is them who have the problem, Kate

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the great Mike Tyson once said Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Tyson.jpg