Struggles with the LCHF

Pepsi Max

I have a few questions for my fellow LCHF'ers... How soon into the diet did you achieve Ketosis? How strict are you on the diet? How did you find your optimum ratios of fat:protein:carbs... I ask these because I'm struggling... I can't reach Ketosis, I can't lose any weight so after 6 days or so I binge eat **** like chocolate & crisps! I need my head checked! I use the fitness pal app, I record everything! I started with 40g of carbs & it didn't work so dropped it to 30... Nothing! Help!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different. Lchf is the best way of eating i have ever done. It makes me feel fab, bg is good. But weight loss is not quick or easy for me. I envy the people who find that they lose weight on it.

For me to lose weight i have to all of these (and frankly, it is inconvenient and i rarely achieve all of them in a single day!)
Less than 20 g carbs a day
No grains at all
Not too much protein
Enough sleep (7.5hrs plus)
Over 4 litres of water to drink each day
Over 7000 steps a day
Plenty of veg

If i achieve all of these, 7 days in a row, i will probably lose half a pound that week.
But there are no guarantees.

Why do different people have such different experiences of weight loss? Dunno.

I put mine down to wacky hormones and the fact i did some very low calorie dieting back in the 80s - it screwed my metabolism up bigtime.

Edited to add the protein bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I read this somewhere and it made sense, so I followed it and have lost more than a pound a week on it (although that's stalled a bit)

Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gramme. Fat is 9 calories per gramme.

Set your carb limit. 30g per day would give 120 calories.
Set your protein limit. They say 1g per 1KG of bodyweight. I have more like 1.5! Say 100g, which is 400 calories.
So you now have 520 calories accounted for. Use one of the online calculators to calculate your total calorie requirement (let's say 2000 as an example).
To lose weight you should consume less than that so that the body makes up the rest from its fat stores, so let's say my target intake will be 1520 calories.
I've already identified 520 calories of carbs &protein, so that leaves 1000 calories of fat. At 9 calories per gramme that works out at just over 100g.

Short version, limit the carbs, eat equal weight of protein and fats and the calorie balance should be about right. For weight loss just keep an eye on the total calories eaten.

That's what I work to, and it seems to be getting results for me.

Reactions: 7 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That all sounds very familiar, @Pepsi Max. It works if you keep at it, but sometimes you need support to keep at it and that's what's so good about this site. I'm on and off track at the moment (I baked myself a loaf of bread last Monday!), so if you fancy trying doing it with me for longer than 6 days, I'm game. I find I'm much better if I feel I'm not alone.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to be a bit harsh - by giving up and binging, you're going to have undone the all good work you had already done by your 6 days worth of attempting ketosis... so don't do that again!!! But you can still eat a low carb diet without getting into ketosis and still see reductions in your glucose levels (and weight). If you're a type 1, "plain ordinary" LCHF may possibly be a safer option unless you already have good control of your glucose levels.

It takes time and effort, but if you go down to a maximum of 20-25 g carbs a day, be very strict with what you eat, and keep it up for two weeks, you should definitely achieve and be staying in ketosis. You body needs a bit of time adapt and learn how to burn fats instead of its usual carbs. Eat plenty of food high in fats and oils, plenty of very low carb green vegetables, moderate amounts of protein as this can be used for glucose if other sources of carbs are low or lacking, drink plenty of water and make sure you get adequate salt and potassium , as your kidneys will be flushing out more.

Once you're nicely in ketosis then you can up your carbs a little, say up to 30g to start with, and be able to stay "ketotic" :p. But you do have to remember that it's a longer term option and your diet needs to be sustainable - if you get frustrated and binge you'll just knock yourself out of ketosis, and probably have to start over. With a normal low carb diet the odd binge doesn't really matter so much.

I did two weeks at 20g carbs a day and can now manage between 30 and 50g and stay in ketosis, but this will vary with individuals depending on metabolism and activity, so some people can handle more carbs and still be in ketosis. I was just extremely strict with what I ate carbohydrate wise, and ate a similar diet to @Brunneria, with possibly a bit more fat and less protein. Lucy's nutritional calculator link is a good one to use, but there are also plenty more if you search online, and some of these are more complicated and specific "keto calculators".

If you are type one, you may already have a meter that can check ketone levels and this is the most accurate but expensive way of checking. Testing urine with Ketostix tends to be a less accurate guide as this will only test for waste ketones in your wee and you'll often see less of them as your body get more efficient at using them, so sometimes it can appear as if you're no longer in ketosis. I use a Ketonix "breathalyser", which is a bit expensive to start with but it's just a one off cost, and is generally pretty accurate.

blood concentration (millimolar) Condition
< 0.2 not in ketosis

0.2 - 0.5 slight/mild ketosis

0.5 - 3.0 induced/nutritional ketosis
2.5 - 3.5 post-exercise ketosis

3.0 - 6.0 starvation ketosis
15 - 25 ketoacidosis

Keep at it this time and you'll get there!

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I echo. I stick more or less to Bernsteinian 30g carb/ day and I've been in mild ketosis for a year. It's not dramatic: in my case doesn't need to be. I know I'm in ketosis from my Ketonix breath meter. I don't get super-high readings - 'moderate traces of ketones,' cf small or high traces - but that's enough to insulate me from low blood sugar effects and I can tick away there all the time. Even a couple of 50g meals and one 70g one haven't knocked me out more than 24 hours.

I think Phinney and Volek are wrong BTW about it taking two weeks to get back into ketosis if/when you are bumped out. In fact I don't think you get bumped out.

But you won't get anywhere until your carbs are down in the <= 35g/day range.

@diamondnostril has the same experience, only more so. See:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/coming-back-from-a-binge.72108/

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator: