None
Is a omnipod a good pump and what is a CGM

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A CGM is a continuous glucose meter, Sonny.

I use a pump but not the Omnipod. Let me move this thread to the pump section for you and hopefully some Omnipod users will be along to comment.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm still on MDI. But my T1 bass player uses an Omnipod.
Looks like a decent bit of kit. No tubes. Just a remotely controlled (wireless.) reservoir of insulin to a cannula attached to the skin controlled by a PDM. (Personal Diabetes Manager.)

Link to site to give an idea.. http://www.myomnipod.com/explore.php

Hopefully some pumpers will be along soon to help. @noblehead @donnellysdogs

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm a Omnipod Pump user and have been for the last 6 months, it's a fantastic pump and so easy to use.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the Animas Vibe and considered the Omnipod but decided against it. Having used a tubed pump for 4 years the tubing never bothered me. I do use the temp basal feature on my pump a lot and this is capped on the Omnipod so wouldn't allow me enough flexibility. I also didn't like the idea of being restricted to one insertion type. However I did like that the pod self inserts. A friend who had just changed to Omnipod also had a "screamer" pod in the middle of the night. Her pod started screaming as it had failed and woke the whole house up. She couldn't stop it and her husband had to take a hammer to it. She was told afterwards screamers are not uncommon but you need to carry a paperclip as the pod has a tiny hole you insert the clip through to stop it screaming. If you are getting a pump you should be able to view and trial some through your DSN. Pump choice is a personal thing and you need to think about what you want from a pump. The omnipod does not currently support CGM but you can look at the Freestyle Libre which you could use alongside the Omnipod.

My pump supports CGM and that means that as well as wearing a sensor that tells me my glucose level I would be able to set larms to warn me of high/low BG levels so I could adjust my dose.