Sensory Neuropathy

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Relatively newly T2 diagnosed and am still very much in the "learning zone"! I've searched the forums and can't see anything obvious, so am hoping that you lovely people will be able to offer some help and advice.

I'm suffering from sensory neuropathy in one foot and think this is partially caused by the T2 but also by a back operation I had six years ago, which caused some trauma to my sciatic nerve. After the operation, I lost all feeling in my lower left leg but over the years, sensation in my sole has returned.

Even though I can't feel my toes on my left foot, I am getting excruciating pains in them (two in particular, bizarrely!), especially at night. I'm trying to monitor what I eat to see if there's a correlation, but in the meantime is there anything I can do to stop the pain? Sometimes, holding the foot helps, but that makes it kind of difficult to sleep (and causes a visual feast for my husband! ;)).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reactions: 2 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the pain on the top of your foot inbetween two toes?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's on top of the toes - like boiling water has been poured over them.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's on top of the toes - like boiling water has been poured over them.

Hi the reason I asked was because I had two moretons neuromas one on each foot which were just below the joint on the top on my feet. Mortons neuromas are rare but if they occur they are typically between the second and third metatarsal, both mine were between the first and second metatarsal on each foot which is even more rare. They could never explain the cause and just put it down to bad luck! The pain is excruciating because it affects the nerves. The way it was explained to me was a pea inside a piece of cotton. Your description sounds similar to the pain I had, which was exactly like someone had poured boiling water on my foot.

I really hope you get some relief somehow.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oof - I've just looked up Morton's Neuromas and they sound awful - poor you! I'm not sure that's what I've got, because it's not between the toes, rather on the top of my second and third toes, but I'll raise it with my Doctor next time I go. Is there anything you did/do which relieves the pain? I'm hoping you're not still suffering from it.

I had nerve pain before - like someone was stabbing the ends of my toes with a hot poker, as well as the boiling water feeling, but I think that was the nerves trying to heal themselves after the operation. This is slightly different in that it's only affecting two toes, but WOW, it's painful!

Rosserk - thank you so much for the information - I'll definitely do some digging.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The pain radiated up the length of the toes. And was confined to the two toes. Lots of sites state the symptoms as being in the ball of the foot but both mine were confined to the upper foot the neuroma was just below were the toes extend out from the foot in the centre of the two first toes. Had operation on both feet and haven't had a problem since but the recovery was between 12 & 16 weeks. Well worth it though because I could be out shopping and the pain would start and I would have to take off my shoe and sit down and massage the foot then I would very often limp back to my car without my shoes on even in the rain! I was lucky that they weren't both at the same time I had one in the left foot and the other one in the right foot 12 months later. No I dont have any problems now.

I hope you get it sorted soon you have my sympathy..

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, that sounds really horrible - I'm so sorry you've gone through that, but I'm glad you've got it sorted out now. I'd ask you to keep your pain-free toes crossed until the Doctor tells me it's not that, but I'm not that cruel!

Thanks again - I do appreciate your help. Have a lovely weekend.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just another random thought - it is pronounced "neuro-pathy" or "neurop-athy"? OK, I'll get back in my box now!

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agh thanks that's nice of you to think of someone else when you're obviously going through it yourself. Far worse for you than me I was diagnosed pretty quickly and we have a podiatry unit very close to my home so I was sorted out really quickly. I still remember the pain so I really feel for you at the moment.

It's so debilitating having something wrong with your feet when you're trying to get around I will cross my fingers that you get yours sorted out really quickly!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, we're all playing the same ridiculous diabetes game, aren't we? It helps to know that people understand what you're going through and it's amazing to get support.

I had foot-drop for a long time after my operation and had to re-learn how to walk again - it was hilarious - I had to keep lifting up my left leg so my foot cleared the ground, otherwise I ended up flat on my face! Sometimes, it comes back when I'm tired, so I don't get the mick taken out of me at all when that happens (NOT!). See the bad little foot in my avatar? My husband is protecting it with his right leg!