Bread and Bread Recipes

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum there are some great bread recipes here. I will definitely be trying a couple of them.

Reactions: 2 people

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm I've heard a lot about the lidl rolls but unfortunately we don't have a,lidl here. I couldn't get the link to work but I will try and find the thread. :)
I was in a M&S with a bakery this weekend, and bought a rye loaf (still warm). It was lovely, I had 1 piece of toast with mackerel pate this morning, and after 1 hour my BS level had gone from 7.4 to 8.1. After another hour it had dropped to 7.1.

I'm sorry I didn't check the price.

Ps I found it on the bag; £1.70

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own rolls using dough made in my breadmaker. I use Stoates mill maltstar (81% extraction brown flour with added malted wheat flakes, rye flour and malt flour) to make granary rolls. I must admit these are better than any shop bought bread I've tried. I will now be trying the rye and brown flours as well

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own rolls using dough made in my breadmaker. I use Stoates mill maltstar (81% extraction brown flour with added malted wheat flakes, rye flour and malt flour) to make granary rolls. I must admit these are better than any shop bought bread I've tried. I will now be trying the rye and brown flours as well
Got any links for the ingredients, and how about the cooking and making instructions plse?

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got any links for the ingredients, and how about the cooking and making instructions plse?
I buy the flour locally but it is available from health food shops. There should be local millers who make something similar. The mill's web site is http://www.stoatesflour.co.uk/.
I have a Panasonic bread maker and use the wholemeal setting and the recipe provided. It says to use 2 tablespoons of oil, I use 1 of olive oil and 1 of toasted sesame oil. I also add some seed mix (from Lidls). It takes 3 hours 15 minutes to make, then I shape it into rolls (6 from a full batch), leave to prove for 15-30 minutes then bake for 15-20 minutes.
I have used a cheap bread maker in the past but the rolls are never as good.

Reactions: 2 people

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are the carbs on this flour, do you know?

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wheat and Bran Low-carb bread recipe.
Hi all, bit new to the forum so sorry if this has been done already (please let me know if it has and I will move it). I posted the recipe, below, in answer to a question on another thread but then thought that maybe as finding low carb bread or ersatz bread is forever on my mind that it may be an idea to have a thread just for that. Anyhow. Here is the recipe that I am finding pretty good right now. Cheers, David.

Wheat and Bran Low-carb bread - I baked another one last night. My first one was quite thin so I used a small bread tin this time.

a1e8adbd-7908-4873-a841-b2041a7b2ab9.jpg

Preparation: 15 minutes + 45 minutes for the bread to rise.
Cooking: 45 min
2.2g carbs and 14.6g protein per slice in a 1lb loaf cut into 12 slices according to the book. (keeps well).

Oil for rubbing in baking pan if you need to
115g (4oz) wheat gluten powder (vital wheat gluten flour)
85g (3oz) soya protein isolate powder
28g (1oz) flax seeds (linseeds), blitzed in a grinder (you could use a pestle and mortar if you like).
55g (2oz) coarse wheat bran
2 x 6g packets ‘easy bake’ yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
250ml (9fl oz) warm water.

1. Put yeast into small bowl with 3 or 4 tablespoons of the warm water and set aside to dissolve and froth a bit – takes about 5 min. Now grease a 450g (1lb) loaf tin with oil (or use a silicone/non stick one).

2. Put all dry ingredients into a bowl (wheat gluten, soy protein isolate, ground linseeds, wheat bran and salt) mix and then the olive oil. mix with fingers to distribute the oil.

3. Add the yeast and water and mix gently to a dough. The gluten gets springy very quickly so don’t mix or knead too much. I mainly just mix with a tablespoon. The dough is quite heavy and that is OK. If you do need to add water just a single tablespoon is probably enough.

4. Form dough into loaf shape and put into loaf tin. Push corners down to make a nice dome shaped loaf. You could also do it rustic style as a country loaf on a baking sheet and perhaps pushed into a round tin to cut through once cooked and use as pizza bases).

5. Cover with clingfilm (I put mine in a carrier bag) and leave in a warm place like the top of the stove for about 45 min until it has risen. Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4.

6. Bake for 45 min. Remove from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

75233c42-e7d2-4431-95f1-7e95f6c634cb.jpg
I found a bread at 5 carbs per slice. Is that too much?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't miss bread but when husband developed NCGS he certainly did. I've never bothered to look at the carb content of Genius bread or his Amisa crispbreads but new to Ocado (and already sold out) Newburn Bakehouse (Warburtons) has a yummy looking gluten free sourdough. No info on carbs on Ocado's website though.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure of the exact carb content. The nearest I can find is for Hovis Granary, which is a brand name. This contains 17% malted wheat flakes and has a carb content of 64%. The Stoates Mill Maltstar has 81% extract brown flour with rye flour, malt flour and malted wheat flakes. I would presume that it has more sugar that the 100% wholemeal flour due to the malting process

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm hello. I have just made my second Sukrin loaf from the packet mix you pictured. I was shocked at the tiny size of it. I wasn't sure at first whether I liked it but I must confess it really grew on me and I missed it when I had finished, hence the second loaf. I bought it at Holland and barrett . At that price I couldn't justify more than 1 a week.
Cost way too much. Have tried this yet? http://www.avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/Whole-grain-Low-Carb-Bread-Mix--453g-bag-ALB065.html#SID=33

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I've been making the Ugg foods chia seed and nut bread mix. I find that the taste of the flax seed is not too strong. I freeze 2 slices together in a packet. :)

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I've been making the Ugg foods chia seed and nut bread mix. I find that the taste of the flax seed is not too strong. I freeze 2 slices together in a packet. :)
Hello and thanks. Please give details on carbs and cooking. Is this with yeast?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a bread mix. I've just had a look on the ugg foods website and it does not have yeast in.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each 50g serving (medium slice) contains

• ENERGY

kJ 605 kCal 145 7%

• LOW Sugar 0.7g 1%

• HIGH Fat 9.5g 14%

• MED Sat Fat 1.3g 6%

• MED SaltN0.3g 5%
Of an adult’s guideline daily reference intake

What you need to add
csnb-ingredients-1.png

• 6 medium eggs
    (omega 3 free range)
  • 4 1/2 tbsp water
  • 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
    (can be substituted for any vinegar)
Instructions
Preheat fan assisted oven to 160°C/320°F. Non fan assisted oven to 180°C/350°C or
gas oven to Gas Mk 4.

Beat together eggs, vinegar and water (or olive
oil) then add packet of dry UGG Chia Seed
& Nut Bread mix.

Stir vigorously together. Mix will thicken
and become sticky. Pour into olive oil greased
silicone or non-stick 2lb/1 Kilo loaf tin
(10 x 20cm approx).

Bake for 50 minutes. Leave to cool.

Olive Oil Bread Variation
csnb-ingredients-2.png
For a richer olive oil loaf, substitute
the water with 4 1/2 tbsp mild/light
olive oil.

Nutrition
STANDARD RECIPE - TYPICAL VALUES PER 100g
Energy kJ 1210, Energy kcal 289, Protein 17.4g, Carbohydrates 7.6 g; of which Sugars 1.4g, Fat 18.9g; of which Saturated fat 2.5g; Monounsaturated acids 11g; Polyunsaturated acids 4.6g, Fibre 9.6g, Sodium 570 mg, Omega-3 0.4g

OLIVE OIL RECIPE - TYPICAL VALUES PER 100g
Energy kJ 1620, Energy kcal 391, Protein 18.9g, Carbohydrates 11.5g; of which Sugars 0.8g, Fat 31.6g; of which Saturated fat 4.6g; of which Monounsaturated fatty acids 18.9g; of which Polyunsaturated fatty acids 6.6g, Fibre 7.2g, Sodium 445mg, Omega-3 0.4g

Ingredients
Almond meal(65%), chia seeds (11%), ground flax seeds (11%), coconut flour, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum, pink himalayan salt.

Allergy Advice
CONTAINS NUTS. Egg substitutes may be used instead of fresh eggs for those with egg allergies.

Storage
Store mix in a cool dry place away from sunlight and odours. Baked loaf can be cooled, sealed and stored in fridge for several days. To freeze (either whole or sliced) place in sealed container for up to 3 months.

I've just copied this to show you what I mean. When I study the ingredients I think the recipes at the beginning of this thread are better and don't involve ordering a mix and then adding 6 eggs. :)

Last edited by a moderator: