Post Newcastle and holiday/travel insurance

emmo26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of questions...

Does your premiums go down with lower BG reading?

Do you still have to declare your condition to new insurers, even getting the all clear after an HbA1c test?

Is the insurance industry's attitude to type 2, is once you've got T2, you got it forever?

Also on average, what is the typical costs of a 2 week policy with Type 2 being your only condition?

Thanks in advance.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With holiday travel insurance I declare everything, from an op I had twenty years ago to Diabetes. Once you have been diagnosed that will stay on your medical records. If you fail to declare any medical condition to the insurer, they can and will decline to pay out in the event of a claim. Also, read your policy, make sure they have added everything you have informed them, make note of telephone conversation date, time and name, all calls are recorded a copy can be requested under the Data Protection Act. I have pulled insurance companies up on few little things in the past that would effectively make my insurance policy useless. example: Cuba, when I received my policy it excluded travel to the Carribbean!!! They apologised and had it amended............

Shop around for quotes.

Due to all my health problems, I don't take out insurance for Europe and travel on a E111 Health Insurance card.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of questions...

Does your premiums go down with lower BG reading?

Do you still have to declare your condition to new insurers, even getting the all clear after an HbA1c test?

Is the insurance industry's attitude to type 2, is once you've got T2, you got it forever?

Also on average, what is the typical costs of a 2 week policy with Type 2 being your only condition?

Thanks in advance.

As I understand it by reading here also, T2s with no complications, either meds-free or just on Metformin have found their travel insurance premiums to be unaffected by their diagnosis, so your concerns may be moot. But, should you want to explore further, I'll make the following comment.

For any insurance or the like, I would say an insurer's view would depend on how your medical records express your condition now. The diagnosis cannot be removed from your records, as it is a material fact and a part of your medical life story. It is possible to have your status changed though. That said, there are no requirements or guidelines for doctors changing your status, so what actually happens may depend on your GP's viewpoint.

As I understand it, aside from pre-diabetes and diabetes, there are a number of ways of expressing a diabetic status, relating to T2. My records show a status of "Diabetes Resolved". There was a thread on here some time ago - I'd guess around November last year (as it was actually around the time my status was changed) discussing this, and another forum member talked about two statuses, with slightly different meanings. You might be able to find it with a search? The thread was probably a discussion around being cured, in remission, reversed or something. The other poster also posted an NHS link which explained what checks and balances would remain available (like eye checks and so on), so you may be me.able to find that on the wider interweb if you try.

I can't help with your other question, as I always have annual cover, for trips longer than a standard policy covers (months of travel, rather than weeks), so sadly, the likes of the comparison websites aren't so available to me.

Bearing in mind my initial point, it could be you can save yourself a whole shed load of digging. It's up to you how complicated you want to make your life.

For a comparison of costs, moneysupermarket or comparethemarket are a decent starting point for standard cover.

Enjoy your holiday.

Reactions: 2 people