Five Habits of Weight Loss Success

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After being morbidly obese for most of thirty years and obese most of my life, on medication for diabetes and multiple other health problems I lose over 115lbs and was taken off medication for diabetes, A1C at last draw was 5.0 and all blood tests were within normal range. (Short video of weight loss:

http://quickhealthymealsonabudget.blogspot.com/2015/07/my-weight-loss-not-so-incredible.html )
My weight loss was based primarily on behavioral principles...I am a behaviorist by profession. After losing the weight I started teaching a series of free classes in the community, at the local hospitals and health dept. After a while, a local diabetes educator suggested I publish the material I was teaching in a book form. I did this, it is available on Amazon and has the same title as the title of the thread. Perhaps I'm just not destined to be rich as I have given away more copies than I have sold. The information is based on very good research and I want the information to get out there for people to read. Because of this, if I am allowed, I'm going to publish the whole book here. I will publish one section at a time and use the threads and replies to make it all available to anyone who is interested. Please let anyone you know who could use the information to come and read it here.
Here is the first section. It probably won't format the same as in the published book but you'll have the information. The pictures don't come up but you can see the pictures in the video linked from above anyway.
FIVE HABITS OF WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS:

PLUS FIVE SKILLS & TOOLS

TO HELP TAKE IT OFF

AND KEEP IT OFF!

(WORKBOOK)

From the series: THE HEALTHY PRODUCTIVE LIFE

Based on years of research and personal experience.

By CR Petersen M.Ed.

5th Edition

clip_image002.gif
Copyright CR Petersen 2015

INTRODUCTION

The Five Habits of Weight Loss Success (The Five Habits) is based on my own experience and the research of many which allowed me to lose 115 pounds, after struggling for over 30 years. I am now able to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. The Five Habits have helped me get off medication for diabetes, and almost off medication for high blood pressure. My A1C as last measured in the fall of 2014 was 5.0 and all my blood work was within normal limits for someone my age and gender. (A1C represents a person’s average blood sugar levels over the previous 3 months and less than 7.0 is considered a good goal.)

WHY I WROTE THIS BOOK

After losing the weight and going off medication for diabetes I started teaching a number of free classes for local diabetes groups. One of the area diabetes coordinators recommended I write the information from the classes in book form. This is part of the result. The rest will be in a book on stress management. Feedback for improvement for this book is always welcome. You can leave comments at:

http://weight-lossnewsandresearch.blogspot.com/2014/12/5-habits-feedback.html

This was me in, I believe, the summer of 2011.

clip_image004.gif

I didn’t like to have my picture taken very much at that weight. Ironically I’m now rather proud of that picture...in combination with the following photo.

clip_image006.gif

This was me after losing 110 pounds in May of 2013.

I went on to lose another 5 pounds after that picture. I pretty much look the same today except for the loss of a little more hair.

My original goal was to lose 100 pounds. After losing the 100 pounds I realized I was still considered overweight according to my body mass index (BMI) which was above 25. I decided to lose another 15 pounds, which brought me to a “normal” weight for the first time since I was a teen. Even as a teen I was only in the “normal” range for a couple of years. Since then my goal has been to stay within 5 pounds of that new low weight. While I have gone over that from time to time, as of this morning I was, just 2.5 pounds over my low weight.

Though I’ll tell you a little about my personal diet and struggle, this book is not about diet. This is NOT a diet book. There are hundreds of thousands of diets out there. Most of them work, for at least one person, for at least a short period of time. Many or perhaps even most diets you read and hear about are not very healthy and most don’t provide you with the required skills and habits, or life-style changes, to help you keep it off for the rest of your life. “Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going.” Dave Ramsey

This book is about healthy, Habits, Skills, and Tools. As you learn and do what is presented in this book, if you need to lose weight, unless there is a medical issue keeping you from losing weight, most of you will lose weight. If you continue the habits and continue to use your new skills and tools, you are very likely to keep the weight off. If you also learn and practice healthy eating, you are very likely to improve your overall health.

I use the terms “probably” and “very likely” because there are always a few exceptions. There are people with significant medical issues which cannot be overcome by diet and exercise alone. As always, if you have significant health problems, consult your licensed medical professional.

Reactions: 2 people