Dexcom G5 Mobile now FDA approved

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unusual that they obtained FDA approval ahead of EU approval this time.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Should make the CE mark a lot simpler. And give a reason to buy an Apple watch....

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I look forward to learn more about the G5. I think the G4 receiver is a rip off when you consider what we can buy in mobile phones for much less than £600.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received a response from AT: they're waiting for news when it will be available in the UK - together with the rest of Europe.

Hopefully, it will be SOON!

iHs

Seems like Dexcom have got their fingers in a lot of pies at the moment.. Not sure if using the lcd screen on a mobile phone to see cgm data is a good or bad thing. It will be bad if the phones get dropped and the screens break and also iPhones are worth a lot of money to pick pockets. The Apple watch is a safer bet where thieves are concerned so I am going to wait and see what the UK price is first as you can bet that AT will be wanting to make a substantial profit.

CGM is expensive but once more competition enters the market which will hopefully be next year all being well, then the price war will start with one company trying to outdo the others.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Who else is entering the CGM market next year @iHs?

That would be good as at the moment Dexcom are the only game in town. Since the Libre is basically unavailable and other systems are much more expensive to run than Dexcom or Libre.

iHs

Who else is entering the CGM market next year @iHs?

That would be good as at the moment Dexcom are the only game in town. Since the Libre is basically unavailable and other systems are much more expensive to run than Dexcom or Libre.

I don't know unfortunately but it will be another standalone using 'exciting' technology so hopefully news of this new cgm will eventually filter through next year

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Just seen this. Very interesting. Perhaps we'll see it in Europe this side of Christmas. Apparently uses a new transmitter, the G4 sensors and you no longer need the receiver. One at you xDrip...

Great news, hopefully it will be approved here by the time my current G4 expires.
I'm hoping CGM development is really going to accelerate now that Dexcom has partnered with Google.

I know the xDrip guys are hanging out to get there hands on a G5. I'm sure they'll give us a great alternative app that will feed Dexcom share, nightscout, pebble watches, android wear and apple watch. They'll probably put out a G5 app for android before Dexcom does. If Dexcom's G5 app is anything like their current windows software, I know which one I will use.

Sonic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I heard this new today also and will be following with interest... hopefully available in the UK ASAP :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting news breaking on the T1-CGM Facebook group. Looks like the official G5 annual cost will be a little under £2,400, so £200 per month. Still not exactly the cheapest, however, this may not take into account sensor extension.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heard that CE approval was awarded today - so should not be long before its available in the UK :)

jodysd6

I would love to switch to dexcom from libre but it looks like you will still need to buy a reciever so along with the automatic switch off of the transmitters I'm disappointed that start up costs for this are unlikely to come down at all. It's a shame as I would be really tempted if they could just bring the initial costs down a bit.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I would love to switch to dexcom from libre but it looks like you will still need to buy a reciever so along with the automatic switch off of the transmitters I'm disappointed that start up costs for this are unlikely to come down at all. It's a shame as I would be really tempted if they could just bring the initial costs down a bit.
The current set up has the transmitters automatically switch off, when the battery fails...

jodysd6

The current set up has the transmitters automatically switch off, when the battery fails...

The new ones turn off after 3 months automatically though, so I know currently some people get longer than 6 months from one transmitter, these you would definitely have to replace every 3 months so I see the running costs going up. You may not get any extra 'time' on your transmitter now and it may die at 6 months but I know some people get 8-12 months which does help with the costs even if it's not guaranteed.