Carb flu - how to get past it?

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also read Dr Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution, it has really helped me turn my mindset around. We are all here to support you but you must help yourself as well.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry but all I hear are excuses. I don't know the exact situation at home but if it were me and my parents asked me to go and buy junk food for them even though they know I'm addicted and it will kill me if I eat it, I'd tell them to get it themselves. If they want it that badly they will go and get it themselves. As for not being able to turn it down, yes you can! You have to. It is definitely not easy to do and I sympathise as I have been there and struggle with this daily, but you need to put yourself first rather than your parents' feelings. Also, maybe time for a regime change and that anything in the fridge that you buy for your diet is your alone. Would they expect their alcoholic son to get their alcohol for them? Sugar is more addictive than heroin and you are in full addiction at the moment. You need help and they need to support that, even if it means keeping their junk in their bedroom/car/work/wherever you cannot get at it. Harsh but true.

It is obvious you can lose weight as you've already lost 5 stone. You should be really proud of that. Try to remember how it felt as the weight kept coming off, and use that feeling to get yourself back on track.
You deserve happiness and health, you are young and could potentially get off all meds if you make a change now. I wish I had done the same 10 years ago when I was in my 20s, rather than burying my head in the sand and now suffering for it.

They asked me to get chocolate bars late last night after having lamb chop with mash, peas, carrots and peas. I refused, but still ended up going to the shop and I did buy myself a chocolate bar as I had only 60 grams of carbs, after skipping breakfast and having a salad for lunch.

This is going to be hurtful, but someone's got to say it!
Dare I say - grow up, get a grip and forget about this silly binging - you are being utterly pathetic! There, sorry to be so brutal but you're a big boy now and really must take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming your parents for your woes.
Have you tried re-reading all the wimpy excuses you've made on these pages, and considered all the sympathetic and helpful advice others have taken time to offer you? Please, please stop killing yourself and start cutting out all those poisonous carbs. If you are out of work, couldn't you take responsibility for cooking the family evening meal then at least you'd get one low carb meal a day - you've got the time! or do you spend your time flopping around feeling sorry for yourself and eating jaffa cakes and chocolate?
Have you read Viv's modified Atkins diet article on the top of these pages? Also, ask your local library to order 'Reverse your Diabetes' by David Cavan, they'll do it for free - and although I think he makes rather over-the-top claims, he does talk a lot of sense. You've already been advised to real Dr Atkins 'Diet Revolution' - did you bother? What did you think of it? Any academic comments to make? Do some research and take responsibility for your own health or you will surely DIE!

@Kingsland I take some responsibility of cooking for the family, like on Saturday I cooked them spag bol. Also its hard to plan evening meals as my parents work stupid shift times and I admit that I do sometimes feel sorry for myself most days and often indulge on biscuits. I've been trying to stick to having 150g of carbs per day and in the past week I've been eating under 150g 5 days out of 7.

I haven't read Dr Atkins diet revolution, instead I've been reading from the sites dietdoctor, authority nutrition and eatlowcarbhighfat.com. I've also asked my library to order 'reverse your diabetes' today and should get it next week. I'm nervously waiting to see my gp about my blood tests in 2 hours after having blood tests done on Wednesday.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on saying no to your parents, I know it cannot have been easy. Although you bought yourself chocolate, I am assuming that it was only one bar so that is progress, right? I understand the cravings, I am suffering big time today, I REALLY want fish and chips and a bar of cadburys. I find drinking a pint of water and distracting myself works...my kitchen has never been so clean!
As for the carbs, wait and see what the doctor says about sugar levels, but I would suggest keeping carbs well below 100g a day. At the moment I am doing 6g at breakfast and 12g at lunch and dinner. I rarely feel hungry but will snack on a small piece of cheese and some packet ham/chicken to keep me going.
It sounds like you are taking some steps towards owning your diabetes, keep it going, keep posting here and you will see a difference.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
I apologise for saying such cruel things but I want to make you wake up! I wish there was a magic wand I would wave to make this nasty diabetes go away.
Chocolate is as addictive as alcohol I am told.
Just a couple of questions (well three) - (1) who went for the chololate bars when you were away at Uni and how did they manage without you? - (2) why on earth did you choose to cook spag Bol ..... why not have your nice tasty Bolognaise sauce with veg instead of pasta? - (3) What do you do with the rest of your time if you only cook on a Saturday?
As PPenguin says, the trick is to keep busy busy busy! Are there really no jobs where you live - even stacking shelves would keep you from snacking (I've done it, and you're not allowed to eat).
B O R I N G !

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on saying no to your parents, I know it cannot have been easy. Although you bought yourself chocolate, I am assuming that it was only one bar so that is progress, right? I understand the cravings, I am suffering big time today, I REALLY want fish and chips and a bar of cadburys. I find drinking a pint of water and distracting myself works...my kitchen has never been so clean!
As for the carbs, wait and see what the doctor says about sugar levels, but I would suggest keeping carbs well below 100g a day. At the moment I am doing 6g at breakfast and 12g at lunch and dinner. I rarely feel hungry but will snack on a small piece of cheese and some packet ham/chicken to keep me going.
It sounds like you are taking some steps towards owning your diabetes, keep it going, keep posting here and you will see a difference.

I bought 2 bars of cadburys with Ritz inside them and had one last night, the other is in the cupboard. I bought my parents some club bars and my mum some cadburys bars with 2 packets of crisps (I had no crisps).

I apologise for saying such cruel things but I want to make you wake up! I wish there was a magic wand I would wave to make this nasty diabetes go away.
Chocolate is as addictive as alcohol I am told.
Just a couple of questions (well three) - (1) who went for the chololate bars when you were away at Uni and how did they manage without you? - (2) why on earth did you choose to cook spag Bol ..... why not have your nice tasty Bolognaise sauce with veg instead of pasta? - (3) What do you do with the rest of your time if you only cook on a Saturday?
As PPenguin says, the trick is to keep busy busy busy! Are there really no jobs where you live - even stacking shelves would keep you from snacking (I've done it, and you're not allowed to eat).
B O R I N G !

@Kingsland the answers to your questions are (1) my parents did or if my sister was in the house, they would make her go. (2) I cooked spag bol because I love it and I had half penne pasta, half courgette spaghetti from tesco. I did not like the courgette and neither did my mum as she had some as well. My mum wants to eat more healthily and she has been doing so since I've come back from uni as she likes veg, my dad on the other hand hates veg with a passion. (3) I job hunt, go to the daily job club, go gym 3 times a week in the morning, go swimming once a week, do house work, watch TV (and a lot of it), and with regards to cooking for my family its rare that I do it as my parents work either early or late and most times its my mum that does the cooking and baking if she has a day off.

Where I live their are jobs, its just that no one is giving me a chance. I've had 5 interviews in the past 3 months and more than 150 job rejections. I'm also limited to what jobs that I can apply for as I have a stutter.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you cook the courgette or have it raw? I prefer it cooked but you can have it either way.I'm currently trying to find a way to like cauliflower. It seems to be a wonder food but I just can't stand it! Be careful with bolognese sauces too, they have loads of sugar in them. I have a great recipe if you want it, its a cheap meal too.

As for the chocolate, it really should be a 'never touch this toxic stuff' food, but if you really have to have it please try 70% cocoa solids, it won't mess your sugars up so much.

Also, could I suggest that if your parents work weird shifts that you just cook for yourself and stick to rigid meal times? A routine is no bad thing and will give you something to work towards (I get a deep satisfaction each time i get from one meal to the other without snacking). That way they can eat all the **** they like but at least you will know you have been looking after yourself.

How did it go at the docs?

trace_1963

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought 2 bars of cadburys with Ritz inside them and had one last night, the other is in the cupboard. I bought my parents some club bars and my mum some cadburys bars with 2 packets of crisps (I had no crisps).

@Kingsland the answers to your questions are (1) my parents did or if my sister was in the house, they would make her go. (2) I cooked spag bol because I love it and I had half penne pasta, half courgette spaghetti from tesco. I did not like the courgette and neither did my mum as she had some as well. My mum wants to eat more healthily and she has been doing so since I've come back from uni as she likes veg, my dad on the other hand hates veg with a passion. (3) I job hunt, go to the daily job club, go gym 3 times a week in the morning, go swimming once a week, do house work, watch TV (and a lot of it), and with regards to cooking for my family its rare that I do it as my parents work either early or late and most times its my mum that does the cooking and baking if she has a day off.

Where I live their are jobs, its just that no one is giving me a chance. I've had 5 interviews in the past 3 months and more than 150 job rejections. I'm also limited to what jobs that I can apply for as I have a stutter.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you cook the courgette or have it raw? I prefer it cooked but you can have it either way.I'm currently trying to find a way to like cauliflower. It seems to be a wonder food but I just can't stand it! Be careful with bolognese sauces too, they have loads of sugar in them. I have a great recipe if you want it, its a cheap meal too.

As for the chocolate, it really should be a 'never touch this toxic stuff' food, but if you really have to have it please try 70% cocoa solids, it won't mess your sugars up so much.

Also, could I suggest that if your parents work weird shifts that you just cook for yourself and stick to rigid meal times? A routine is no bad thing and will give you something to work towards (I get a deep satisfaction each time i get from one meal to the other without snacking). That way they can eat all the **** they like but at least you will know you have been looking after yourself.

How did it go at the docs?

I cooked the courgettes and how can you not like cauliflower, its lovely. I don't use bolognese sauces, I like to make my own with half bottle of red wine, tinned tomato puree, shallots, mushrooms, oxo cube, water and let it reduce for 90 minutes.

I don't mind having a routine, but when my family has movie night, its hard not to indulge in snacking. My appointment with the gp was short, he just told me that my hba1c had increased from last time and that I should be seeing a diabetic health team, which I've been asking for since June!!! He won't change my medication as he says its up to the diabetes nurse. The only good think that came from it was being prescribed testing strips for the contour USB monitor.

Reactions: 2 people

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it is hard not to indulge but you have to have some willpower, I'm trying to be sympathetic seriously but man up, get a grip and stop making excuses. They have snacks, you can have snacks too, just not the same ones. Have some nuts, have a yoghurt, hell even have some chocolate but the 70% or higher stuff.You know what you should not be eating so don't do it. Your A1c has increased (to what) which means you have got to pull yourself together.
At least you now have the test strips so its time to take your life into your own hands and test. test. test and get those levels down.
Try low carb. Breakfast can be frankfurter sausages and eggs or a good old fry up minus the bread, hash browns and ketchup

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
@akindrat18 I have a small challenge for you if you're up for it? Do you think you can write posts without using the word "but"? When we put this word in the middle of a sentence, it usually means the words before it are what we think our audience wants to hear, and the words after it are our excuse.

For example, "I don't mind having a routine, but when my family has movie night, it's hard not to indulge in snacking".

I think a more honest version of this sentence would be "I would have better health if I had a routine, but when my family has movie night, I indulge in snacking".

The second version involves being honest and owning your choices.

I also want to mention that supermarkets are usually crying out for people to stack shelves, and having a stutter would not stop a person doing this job. Having such a job on your CV may help you have more success in your jobhunting because it shows you are prepared to do whatever work is available. It could also lead to a more interesting job, since most jobs are found through networking, not responding to ads.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
CatLady talks a lot of sense. Cook for yourself - and cook to your meter. Lol and note the 'but's.
I also hate cauliflower with a passion, but I can eat it if its boiled and mashed with pepper and cream - its a bit like mashed potato - do try it. (Not too much cream or it goes all runny!) I didn't like courgetti spaghetti either. I don't like cabbage or broccoli or sprouts. Cabbage is OK raw in coleslaw, I make my own with apples and carrots and cabbage and a few raisins and some peanuts, as mayo is OK for us.
When the library get your books for you, find a free table and sit in there to read (no food allowed) to avoid snacking. Its so easy to sit and read (or watch a film) and stuff food into your mouth without even really tasting it ... but its only a habit isn't it? I'm surprised you can manage a gym subscription on your unemployment benefit (I can't afford it on a wage but I pay board and lodging) ..... and here's the word BUT again - what do you eat afterwards? I swim every week (free hyrdotherapy from hospital) and have great difficulty passing the fish n chip shop of the way home, I'm so hungry! Nuts are the answer although I'm not really fond of them and they don't smell as good as chips.
I have a serious back problem - I also have a degree although I stack shelves at the moment and its not demeaning even if your friends find it funny - you can do it with a bad back although they would put me on disablement if I asked. The store know about it and don't give me any heavy lifting. The store also do a Management Plan which will lead to a more promising career - it may mean leaving home but would be worth it.
Stuttering I know nothing about - is this any help? http://www.stammering.org/ they seem to talk sense ..... maybe you could volunteer to help youngsters? This also has some interesting information http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/stammering/diabetes.htm
Your Mum sounds helpful, would she join you in a chocolate ban - just the two of you? Let your Dad sit and poison himself into an early grave if he insists.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is hard not to indulge but you have to have some willpower, I'm trying to be sympathetic seriously but man up, get a grip and stop making excuses. They have snacks, you can have snacks too, just not the same ones. Have some nuts, have a yoghurt, hell even have some chocolate but the 70% or higher stuff.You know what you should not be eating so don't do it. Your A1c has increased (to what) which means you have got to pull yourself together.
At least you now have the test strips so its time to take your life into your own hands and test. test. test and get those levels down.
Try low carb. Breakfast can be frankfurter sausages and eggs or a good old fry up minus the bread, hash browns and ketchup

My doctor only told me that my hba1c increased, not what increased to. My previous hba1c was 9.8. Last night for my evening meal, I had a haddock fishcake filled with cheese and leek with chips from a small potato and a big dollop of tomato sauce. Then a hour later got offered a Mars bar after my mum got some and some Jaffa cakes. I turned down the offer, only to have it half hour later. Today I had a bowl of cornflakes for breakfast as there was nothing else in to have.

@akindrat18 I have a small challenge for you if you're up for it? Do you think you can write posts without using the word "but"? When we put this word in the middle of a sentence, it usually means the words before it are what we think our audience wants to hear, and the words after it are our excuse.

For example, "I don't mind having a routine, but when my family has movie night, it's hard not to indulge in snacking".

I think a more honest version of this sentence would be "I would have better health if I had a routine, but when my family has movie night, I indulge in snacking".

The second version involves being honest and owning your choices.

I also want to mention that supermarkets are usually crying out for people to stack shelves, and having a stutter would not stop a person doing this job. Having such a job on your CV may help you have more success in your jobhunting because it shows you are prepared to do whatever work is available. It could also lead to a more interesting job, since most jobs are found through networking, not responding to ads.

I have tried every avenue possible to get a job. I've tried Aldi, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, etc. They won't hire me or even give me an interview. Even recruitment agencies can't find me a job and when I go into one, all they say is send your CV in via email.

CatLady talks a lot of sense. Cook for yourself - and cook to your meter. Lol and note the 'but's.
I also hate cauliflower with a passion, but I can eat it if its boiled and mashed with pepper and cream - its a bit like mashed potato - do try it. (Not too much cream or it goes all runny!) I didn't like courgetti spaghetti either. I don't like cabbage or broccoli or sprouts. Cabbage is OK raw in coleslaw, I make my own with apples and carrots and cabbage and a few raisins and some peanuts, as mayo is OK for us.
When the library get your books for you, find a free table and sit in there to read (no food allowed) to avoid snacking. Its so easy to sit and read (or watch a film) and stuff food into your mouth without even really tasting it ... but its only a habit isn't it? I'm surprised you can manage a gym subscription on your unemployment benefit (I can't afford it on a wage but I pay board and lodging) ..... and here's the word BUT again - what do you eat afterwards? I swim every week (free hyrdotherapy from hospital) and have great difficulty passing the fish n chip shop of the way home, I'm so hungry! Nuts are the answer although I'm not really fond of them and they don't smell as good as chips.
I have a serious back problem - I also have a degree although I stack shelves at the moment and its not demeaning even if your friends find it funny - you can do it with a bad back although they would put me on disablement if I asked. The store know about it and don't give me any heavy lifting. The store also do a Management Plan which will lead to a more promising career - it may mean leaving home but would be worth it.
Stuttering I know nothing about - is this any help? http://www.stammering.org/ they seem to talk sense ..... maybe you could volunteer to help youngsters? This also has some interesting information http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/stammering/diabetes.htm
Your Mum sounds helpful, would she join you in a chocolate ban - just the two of you? Let your Dad sit and poison himself into an early grave if he insists.

My mum is helpful, but she won't join me in a chocolate ban as she devoured an entire packet of Jaffa cakes last night and my dad only snacks on junk food as he only eats one meal a day. As for my gym subscription, my mum insisted that I join the gym that she goes to back in June and automatically signed me up for a years contract that I can't get out of and I pay £30 a month for it, plus £40 for rent.

I have no problem with eating veg as I like all veg and have a subway salad after going the gym and leave half for my next meal.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If your HbA1c is higher than 9.8% I'm not sure why your doctor hasn't put you on insulin. It's inevitable. And it's not going to do much, because you keep eating like a non-diabetic.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor only told me that my hba1c increased, not what increased to. My previous hba1c was 9.8.
Then why didn't you ask? This is a basic piece of information that you need, and have a right to. How are you meant to make any changes when you don't know your starting point? You cannot measure progress and get the resulting satisfaction if you do not know your numbers. On Tuesday you must call the surgery and find it out.

Last night for my evening meal, I had a haddock fishcake filled with cheese and leek with chips from a small potato and a big dollop of tomato sauce. Then a hour later got offered a Mars bar after my mum got some and some Jaffa cakes. I turned down the offer, only to have it half hour later.
Dinner didn't sound too bad, actually rather yummy (and i don't like fish!) but why not try next time having it with salad with cheese or a few nuts and a dressing made from olive oil and vinegar? That will reduce the carbs dramatically as it gets rid of the potato and the ketchup. Eat as much salad as you want so that you don't feel hungry (Although feeling hungry once in a while is no bad thing).
Well done with turning down the chocolate, next time also ask that they put it somewhere you cannot get at it, that way there will be no way you can relapse.My husband is 6ft7 and I am 5 ft 1 so he puts all the food I'm not allowed to have so high up that I cannot reach it even with a chair. It works! Also, keep yourself busy for at least an hour after they offer it e.g. offer to do the washing up and clean the kitchen, read a book, have a bath etc. Cravings only last an hour or so.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If your HbA1c is higher than 9.8% I'm not sure why your doctor hasn't put you on insulin. It's inevitable. And it's not going to do much, because you keep eating like a non-diabetic.

My doctor said to me that only the diabetes healthcare team can change my medication and that going on to insulin injections might be a slight possibility.

Then why didn't you ask? This is a basic piece of information that you need, and have a right to. How are you meant to make any changes when you don't know your starting point? You cannot measure progress and get the resulting satisfaction if you do not know your numbers. On Tuesday you must call the surgery and find it out.

Dinner didn't sound too bad, actually rather yummy (and i don't like fish!) but why not try next time having it with salad with cheese or a few nuts and a dressing made from olive oil and vinegar? That will reduce the carbs dramatically as it gets rid of the potato and the ketchup. Eat as much salad as you want so that you don't feel hungry (Although feeling hungry once in a while is no bad thing).
Well done with turning down the chocolate, next time also ask that they put it somewhere you cannot get at it, that way there will be no way you can relapse.My husband is 6ft7 and I am 5 ft 1 so he puts all the food I'm not allowed to have so high up that I cannot reach it even with a chair. It works! Also, keep yourself busy for at least an hour after they offer it e.g. offer to do the washing up and clean the kitchen, read a book, have a bath etc. Cravings only last an hour or so.

I did ask the doctor several times, but he said that he would tell me at my next appointment on Wednesday. As for dinner, there was no salad or cheese and having nuts with it does not sound right. My parents have tried hiding the junk food, but its failed every time.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your doctor has a duty to tell you, if I were you I'd make a complaint. He withheld information about your health.
Having nuts might not sound right but its fab, and anyway, to get yourself sorted you are going to have to try different things out whether you think its weird or not. You might not want to hear it or accept it but it is a fundamental truth to dealing with diabetes. Stop making excuses and do what you have to in order to get well. I have a real problem with eggs, the idea of them makes me squeamish but I eat them because I have to in order to get well. Life is not always fair or easy and we all have to do things we don't want to do.
If your parents have tried hiding the junk food but it didn't work, then what does that tell you? Who is the one who needs to make a change? Who needs to find a smidgen of self control?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Possibly not that yummy.
Fishcake has a lot of potato, and the cheese also has a lot of carbs, it's not just pure fat like a piece off a block.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't think of that. I don't eat fish so fishcakes are an unknown quantity. Didn't realise they had potato in them, in which case avoid like the plague!

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Home made fish cakes with sweet potato are very yummy. Apparantly sweet potatoes are more compex carbs and do not give as big a sugar rush. Does your Mum do the shopping?
Akindrat - have you started counting the 'buts' yet? :)
Yep - you're eating like a non-diabetic, deep down are you thinking that if you ignore it, it'll just go away or the diabetic fairy will wave her wand and banish it? I wish!
Come on mate, you're obviously in the top group when it comes to intellegence - get your mind round this and learn to live with it - research, read, write a paper - whatever - keep busy, and, like Catlady says, don't put a 'but' in it - they're a cop out!
As to the jobs, supermarkets have recruitment drives especially after the students go back to Uni, so write to Human Resources and ask for an application form (or ask at the customer service desk - thats what I did). They don't put much store on CVs for some reason, preferring to rely on their really silly application forms. Wait for that to come before you say you have a stammer and can't work checkouts but also stress you are willing and strong and healthy - all that guff - and if they ask tell them you are looking for promotion to more responsibility. For goodness sake don't sound sorry for yourself. NO BUTs.
Look round your High Street - estate agents, chemists, Poundstretcher, it may be wrong time of year for garden centres but Argos always recruit at Xmas, and they may keep you on afterwards if you do well) a job to suit your degree may come along later.
Great Scott - you ARE hard work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people