Calories or carbs?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Kim for me in my early days I focused on the calories! I went very low calorie (<1000 kcal/day) for several months. Then I raised the calories in the form of fat/protein and a little more carb (but not much) and then eventually i raised my carb levels further. I am down many stone and have normal BG response to food now.

Why have I told you this. Well you can take control by either calorie control or carb control or a combination of both. What is easiest depends on you. For me it was definitely the calorie restriction to lose weight rapidly. For others I know it is the carb restriction.

By the way they both work for weight loss and blood glucose control. The only thing I have found that doesnt work is low fat and high carb surprisingly but that is probably down to my ice age genes increasing my base BG levels to keep me alive for the next cold period (ie increased insulin resistance) which is deadly with very high carb. Some people thrive on it and others die on it!
I agree with all this. I have found throughout my life that moderate or high carb with low fat is guaranteed to pile the weight on.

Reactions: 6 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago, at a very busy time in my life, which I believe lead me to eat in ways that led to the diagnosis in the first place. So, at this moment I tend to manage what I can, which is educating myself about diabetes, exercising, measuring my BC levels and carb-counting. I want to closer look at calories, proteins etc. in the future, but so far I just try to eat a balanced diet with veggies, and maybe not the whole 350g cheese at once (did this a few days ago :oops:). I have been very active and I am scared of eating too little or too much in general. I feel like I get out of control quickly, especially when I am stressed. Another practise that helps me is to have three meals in a day. My body seems to to like it and to actually get hungry at my meal times.

Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't bite my head off, I had someone do that yesterday! I've only been diabetic for 11 days.

Like @Andrew Colvin I'm currently doing both, Carb & Calorie counting. I've recently completed a 60 day diet of 500-600 calories & low carb. My glucose levels are now normal and I have 2 more stone to lose before I'm back in my size 8 UK jeans. I also do a daily hour of brisk walking on the treadmill, which also helps keep the glucose levels down, not so hot for weight loss ;-)

How you approach this is personal to you, there are no hard rules that you have to strictly adhere especially at the beginning it is all trial and error to find what works for you. As for the person who bit your head off, well there's one born every minute, it's the one born every 10 minutes point of view that counts :D Seriously, since you have been diagnosed you have tackled it head on, my hat off to you! Don't beat yourself up if you go over your carbs or calories to start with, you will find the right balance, it is all part of the journey we find ourselves on

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like @Andrew Colvin I'm currently doing both, Carb & Calorie counting. I've recently completed a 60 day diet of 500-600 calories & low carb. My glucose levels are now normal and I have 2 more stone to lose before I'm back in my size 8 UK jeans. I also do a daily hour of brisk walking on the treadmill, which also helps keep the glucose levels down, not so hot for weight loss ;-)

How you approach this is personal to you, there are no hard rules that you have to strictly adhere especially at the beginning it is all trial and error to find what works for you. As for the person who bit your head off, well there's one born every minute, it's the one born every 10 minutes point of view that counts :D Seriously, since you have been diagnosed you have tackled it head on, my hat off to you! Don't beat yourself up if you go over your carbs or calories to start with, you will find the right balance, it is all part of the journey we find ourselves on
Thank you photognut. ;)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago, at a very busy time in my life, which I believe lead me to eat in ways that led to the diagnosis in the first place. So, at this moment I tend to manage what I can, which is educating myself about diabetes, exercising, measuring my BC levels and carb-counting. I want to closer look at calories, proteins etc. in the future, but so far I just try to eat a balanced diet with veggies, and maybe not the whole 350g cheese at once (did this a few days ago :oops:). I have been very active and I am scared of eating too little or too much in general. I feel like I get out of control quickly, especially when I am stressed. Another practise that helps me is to have three meals in a day. My body seems to to like it and to actually get hungry at my meal times.
Thank you munkki. I guess it's all still sinking in. I keep getting headaches and I'm drinking a lot, I'm eating enough too. Maybe it's the sock to the system.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with all this. I have found throughout my life that moderate or high carb with low fat is guaranteed to pile the weight on.
That's really helpful to know, thank you :)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think there is a simple answer to your question unfortunately.

Calories and fat are bad for you if you are having a normal amount of carbs. It's only if you get your carbs down quite low that calories and fat stop being a problem. The LCHF diet isn't just a matter of eating fewer carbs and more fat. There is a 'magic' threshold of carbs that you need to below, and that varies by the individual. If you are below that threshold you don't have to worry about fat and calories - the more the merrier in fact. Above that threshold, the fat and calories are bad for you.
Thank you. I'm on 50 carbs at the moment and 1300 calories. I don't know what the carb threshold for me is yet. I'm just starting to lose weight on these carbs and Cals. If I stop then I'll have to go down a bit further.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely watch your carbs preferentially, Kim. They are real little devils that can play havoc with our glucose levels. I think similarly to Nosher though we don't have the same actual issues, but I believe as diabetics our bodies have become intolerant of carbohydrates.

But there may come a point when, if you actually eat too much fat (and so more calories), you can stop losing weight which is definitely not a "Good Thing" if you need to keep on losing it. Your body ends up using the fat you're eating for energy in place of the stored fat in your body that you want rid of.... Believe me !! :D:D

Robbity

PS Re treats, once your body has got used to a low carb diet, it doesn't necessarily want the same kind of treats any more - there a lots of delicious low carb alternatives - so we don't ever need to feel deprived!
Thank you for your support robbity ;)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I focus on carbs as that was how I managed to lose over 8 stone, when calorie counting only enabled me to lose up to 3 stone at at a time, then I would put it all back on and have to yo-yo diet again :(

However I do think calorie restriction has a place for some people. For the super-obese, there has to be some degree of calorie restriction if they are to get down to a safe weight for bariatric surgery. There's no reason why they couldn't also reduce carbs - it would probably be quite good for them I think.

I saw a website that said calorie counting was an eating disorder - IMO that's a ridiculously extreme view that's insulting to people with bulimia, anorexia and binge eating disorder. I get that they were trying to make a point, but to me it wasn't reasonable. Like everything, I try to resist seeing things in black and white. So I think there is a place for carb counting and calorie counting, depending on the circumstances.
Thank you. I've got quite a few stone to lose. So I'll go carefully and after a little while reduce both carb and cal :) I know about yo yo dieting lol

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the beginning I focused on carbs didn't drop them really low went to about 130g and I don't eat a lot of dairy or animal fats, get my fats from good oils, nuts avocado etc although I do eat a little cheese. I never set out to lose weight initially but to get my very high numbers down. The weight fell of for about 12 months, but in the end I have had to count both carbs and cake, I now do about 80 - 90g carbs and 1200 calls a day - I really have to watch the cals now wherever they come from be it carbs protein or fats - buts that's after a lot of weight loss.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started this game I did both. I counted my carbs and I counted my calories. I calculated the calories from the carbs I was allowing myself then made up the rest with fats and proteins. The weight fell off me and I didn't plateau once. My problems began when I reached my goal weight as it took me quite a while to stop losing without increasing the carbs. I managed eventually to find the right balance but could only do this by increasing the calories from fats. I have now been at a stable weight since January and no longer need to do any counting because I know what I can eat. I do still keep a food diary but don't record portion sizes or food weights any more. Keeping the diary keeps me on the straight and narrow with my BS control.

Reactions: 3 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started this game I did both. I counted my carbs and I counted my calories. I calculated the calories from the carbs I was allowing myself then made up the rest with fats and proteins. The weight fell off me and I didn't plateau once. My problems began when I reached my goal weight as it took me quite a while to stop losing without increasing the carbs. I managed eventually to find the right balance but could only do this by increasing the calories from fats. I have now been at a stable weight since January and no longer need to do any counting because I know what I can eat. I do still keep a food diary but don't record portion sizes or food weights any more. Keeping the diary keeps me on the straight and narrow with my BS control.
One day I hope I can be like you! Well done :);)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One day I hope I can be like you! Well done :);)

No reason why you can't if you stick at it and stay dedicated, but it doesn't happen overnight. It's a marathon, not a sprint. My advice is carry on as you are but be patient and don't be disheartened if it goes wrong on occasions. It will happen for you. :)

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't bite my head off, I had someone do that yesterday! I've only been diabetic for 11 days.

Is slightly going over on calories and fat better than going over on carbs please? Thank you.

That's a real shame Kim, I have also had some disparaging comments from time to time from experienced members who should know better. People don't have to comment on a thread and its better to stay clear rather than say something that might discourage someone from asking for help! One of my bug bears is being told to look for another thread to find the answer! No if I wanted to go searching for the answer I wouldn't have asked the question! If you search long enough you will probably find the answer to every question you could think of on Google, which defeats the object of joining the forum in the first place!

My take on your question is to take 'one' step at a time. Translated in response to your question should you cut carbs and calories? I personally would begin by cutting carbs and worry about the calories later. You will likely find that you can eat a lot more calories when you've cut right back on the carbs and still loose a significant amount of weight. Your blood sugars will come down quickly in response to restricting your carbs. If your weight eventually begins to stabilise then start looking at reducing your calories or increasing your exercise. It's difficult enough counting carbs without throwing calories into the mix to begin with. Test your response to every meal you eat to begin with, I'm at the stage where my meter confirms the meal was low in carbs just by the result I see. Good luck keep talking!

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:)
That's a real shame Kim, I have also had some disparaging comments from time to time from experienced members who should know better. People don't have to comment on a thread and its better to stay clear rather than say something that might discourage someone from asking for help! One of my bug bears is being told to look for another thread to find the answer! No if I wanted to go searching for the answer I wouldn't have asked the question! If you search long enough you will probably find the answer to every question you could think of on Google, which defeats the object of joining the forum in the first place!

My take on your question is to take 'one' step at a time. Translated in response to your question should you cut carbs and calories? I personally would begin by cutting carbs and worry about the calories later. You will likely find that you can eat a lot more calories when you've cut right back on the carbs and still loose a significant amount of weight. Your blood sugars will come down quickly in response to restricting your carbs. If your weight eventually begins to stabilise then start looking at reducing your calories or increasing your exercise. It's difficult enough counting carbs without throwing calories into the mix to begin with. Test your response to every meal you eat to begin with, I'm at the stage where my meter confirms the meal was low in carbs just by the result I see. Good luck keep talking!
Thank you rosserk. I think I will cut down on the carbs first to get my sugars down and the the calories. My calories are around 1300, so not bad I think. My carbs are 53ish! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if I wanted to go searching for the answer I wouldn't have asked the question! If you search long enough you will probably find the answer to every question you could think of on Google, which defeats the object of joining the forum in the first place!

Really?
Good gracious.

I always love it when people provide useful links, whether they are web links, videos, book suggestions or threads. I find forum posts very helpful as a starting point, but i would never take advice from a random stranger on the internet without cross checking their info.

The amount i have learned by following threads, links and articles has been delightful, and transformed my experience of diabetes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll just add to @Brunneria 's post above, that by searching, very often the whole answer, including contra-arguments are often uncovered, available in one reading, rather than waiting days or hours for something to be reiterated and unfold.

Reactions: 5 people