BG Monitor Accuracy/Fault

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have been using the same monitor since diagnosed, a Glucomen LX, worked fine, BG generally under control. Two weeks ago my BG readings started to go way higher than usual, and no longer be logical, for example a morning reading of 12, I gave myself a corrective dose, ate nothing, lunchtime reading was 16, another corrective dose, followed by big hypo, despite a conservative corrective dose. Similar pattern on Friday, high reading corrective dose, then hypo. Then on Saturday felt hypo symptoms, took my BG it was 12 according to my monitor, retested several times to make sure.

Is it known that BG monitors have a shelf life? Should I just bin it and buy and new one?

Wandered if anyone else had come across a malfunctioning monitor?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have a Glucomen Lx plus meter that I've been using for 10 months now. I also have testing solution that I use every time I start a new pot of strips. Because the reading is always within the guidelines, I assume my test strips and meter are ok. Could you perhaps have a dodgy pot of strips? If your meter has malfunctioned, don't go to the expense of buying a new one. Contact the manufacturers and request a replacement. Have you checked if the battery needs replacing?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You should have some control solution to check the meter accuracy, but if its faulty then just bin it.

The meter manufacturers fall over themselves to give meters away for free to type 1's knowing that they test multiple times a day, ring round a few and request some meters or ask your DSN.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@June_C - I also have the same meter. Can you get a USB cable to connect meter to laptop to see overview of results?

Hoddington

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You should have some control solution to check the meter accuracy, but if its faulty then just bin it.

The meter manufacturers fall over themselves to give meters away for free to type 1's knowing that they test multiple times a day, ring round a few and request some meters or ask your DSN.

Type 2 get free meters as well..

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
@teacher123 Yes you can and I have it, but I couldn't get it to work. I hasten to add I'm no techy so you could probably make it work. It's a freebie, so go for it..............

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just a tip.. You should have a spare meter.
I know Accuchek ensure for me that I have two meters..

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did use this meter until they stopped making the strips, which I only found out when picking up my prescription -_- I found it to be pretty accurate, you should use the control solution and if it's broken get another from the manufacturer and ask from your DSN as you can't really wait a day or two for it to arrive in the post.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thanks @June_C, I will send them an e-mail tomorrow and begin my quest :)
Could you let me know if you have any success as I'd like to connect the meter to my pc. Perhaps you could send me a PM with instructions so that we don't derail this thread. Many thanks.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for the responses :) When I was diagnosed they gave me the meter when I was discharged from hospital, with no advice other than how to stick a strip in the meter. My medical support is basically zero now, I just order my insulin & test strips online. I have had the same meter since I was diagnosed, I've never even heard of a 'Control Solution' and have been using the meter for 2.5 years lol.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks all for the responses :) When I was diagnosed they gave me the meter when I was discharged from hospital, with no advice other than how to stick a strip in the meter. My medical support is basically zero now, I just order my insulin & test strips online. I have had the same meter since I was diagnosed, I've never even heard of a 'Control Solution' and have been using the meter for 2.5 years lol.

Read the instruction manual of the meter and it explains how to do the Control Solution Test, but as a type 1 you should always have spare meters so that you can still test your bg levels should your current meter fail.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You should also have a spare meter!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@teacher123 Yes you can and I have it, but I couldn't get it to work. I hasten to add I'm no techy so you could probably make it work. It's a freebie, so go for it..............
Thanks @June_C, I will send them an e-mail tomorrow and begin my quest :)

I spent an hour and half on the phone with Menari tech support. Couldn't even get the PC to recognise that the LX was connected. They promised to send me a new meter, never did.

Given up now. Good luck with this.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Oh, I'm pleased to see it's not just me who couldn't get it to work. I thought I was just plain dim, but perhaps not.

Reactions: 2 people