Finally losing weight

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to the advice on the forum I am finally losing weight. Juggling a lot of other conditions and balancing a shedload of medications has always made it difficult to lose the spare tyre I developed after I started taking Insulin 14 years ago.

Down from 117kg to 113.4kg in 3 weeks. :D No timescale, just limiting myself to approx 100g carbs everyday, which has allowed me to almost halve my insulin with far better BG numbers, and no more than 2000 calories :angelic: which will be dropped once I drop to 100kg to 1800 calories :hungry:

Also upped my activity levels, can't run or cycle anymore due to Arthritis, but I am forcing myself to walk 5km on any day my arthritis allows.

Aiming to get to 95kg/BMI 29.9 atm, then will attempt to get down to 75-80kg (BMI 23.6/24.9).

Reactions: 17 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done - that's a huge achievement already ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Excellent result @Aginoth and hope your good progress continues :)

Just remember that it's best losing weight slowly as your less likely to put it back on (speaking from personal experience anyway).

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done! You inspire me, as we are very similar, except for being T1. I hope to post about my similar weight loss in a few weeks :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Great result keep up the good work.

Although t2 I was put on MDI of insulin at diagnosis, well 3 days after diagnosis when I was admitted to hospital with SVT the two sides of heart beating out of time with each other but that as they say is another story ;)

Any way I cut my carbs down a little further than you to around 60g a day and was very strict and lost 4 stone over about 12 months then started eating a few more to around the level you are eating and lost another stone over the following couple of years and 5 years later have maintained my weight loss just by my new found eating habits, eating only what I need not what I want ;)

A little tip I used was not to set unachievable targets but targets of 7lb. half a stone seemed much easier to achieve than 4 stones and every time I lost another 7lb I would set another 7lb target and so on. It just seemed to be easier to aim low than aim for the whole amount I wanted to lose.

Good luck

ps I managed to wean myself off insulin as the weight fell off and I lost my insulin resistance, obviously thats not an option for you but if your weight has caused any insulin resistance you could well see a permanent drop in insulin requirements once you get the weight off.

Reactions: 6 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, sounds like you're doing the right things. I'm sure you can do it, you already seem determined and I'm sure it will get easier as you go on :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to the advice on the forum I am finally losing weight. Juggling a lot of other conditions and balancing a shedload of medications has always made it difficult to lose the spare tyre I developed after I started taking Insulin 14 years ago.

Down from 117kg to 113.4kg in 3 weeks. :D No timescale, just limiting myself to approx 100g carbs everyday, which has allowed me to almost halve my insulin with far better BG numbers, and no more than 2000 calories :angelic: which will be dropped once I drop to 100kg to 1800 calories :hungry:

Also upped my activity levels, can't run or cycle anymore due to Arthritis, but I am forcing myself to walk 5km on any day my arthritis allows.

Aiming to get to 95kg/BMI 29.9 atm, then will attempt to get down to 75-80kg (BMI 23.6/24.9).

Well done. There's nothing like a plan!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done that's a great plan and a great achievement so far :)

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now down to 112kg, BG nice and stable at 3.8 to 7.6 range, averaging 5.8 :)