Insulin Pump Choice

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am due to get my insulin pump in october, I have been to my initial meeting about the pump and when there we were basically told that we would be getting the minimed 640g no options. Now I am just looking for other peoples experiences were you given a choice of pumps? were you like me just told this is the one you are getting?
Reason i ask is that i think a tubed canulless on like the omnipod would suit me better. I am aware that different heath boards have relationships with certain manufactured etc

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am due to get my insulin pump in october, I have been to my initial meeting about the pump and when there we were basically told that we would be getting the minimed 640g no options. Now I am just looking for other peoples experiences were you given a choice of pumps? were you like me just told this is the one you are getting?
Reason i ask is that i think a tubed canulless on like the omnipod would suit me better. I am aware that different heath boards have relationships with certain manufactured etc
Sounds as if Medtronic have a deal with your CCG but you can fight the desion if you want to have a look on the INPUT site. In all honesty though how do you know the tubeless will suit you better? As it's your first pump you will love it as you have no comparison to make.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was offered a choice of 3 this time. However, my local hospital did used to have a deal with a particular pump company so only offered those pumps in the past. I believe this changed as the number of pump users increased. My DSN was explaining that they have so many people on pumps that they've found a choice allows them to cover all needs.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I was offered a choice of 3 this time. However, my local hospital did used to have a deal with a particular pump company so only offered those pumps in the past. I believe this changed as the number of pump users increased. My DSN was explaining that they have so many people on pumps that they've found a choice allows them to cover all needs.

Also if it's a newly established clinic they like to stick with one pump so everyone in theory knows what they are doing. :)

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was given no choice, in Scotland you only get offered the minimed 640g.

I second this, although getting mine back in 2013, i was given the Medtronic Veo [Paradigm 754].....

so no choice, which didn't bother me, they all do the same thing.....lol

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was given a choice but chomped at the bit for the 640g! Don't regret my choice one tiny bit!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I was given a choice of three,but on the advice of DSN,to choose the 640g which I did and am more than happy with this pump.