What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday was my fasting HbA1c so breakfast was a little out of kilter
B - Mcdonalds double sausage & egg mcmuffin (without the muffin)
L - Spinach & feta bites with a salad, bought at the office canteen
D - At an Italian restaurant so sirloin steak with stilton in a mozzarella sauce & salad. YUM. And red wine.

The spinach & feta bites were breaded but were the best food on offer. Those few bits of breadcrumbs gave me a +2 spike up to 7.7 postprandial. That's only just within the normal range and from only a few breadcrumbs; God knows where my BG would be if I'd had a wrap or potato. It was a reminder that, even though my diabetes was caught early and is under control with no symptoms, I can't be complacent and I mustn't forget that I just don't tolerate carbs anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 14 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you posted somewhere your results???
The test was only yesterday. Blood results at my GP practice take at least three days. I've got an appointment with the diabetes nurse on Sep 7th so will probably not get the details until then.

Reactions: 2 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Resumed my morning fatty chocolate drink....
1 tsp raw caco - 0.6g carbs / 1.2g fat / 0.5g protein
1 tbs coconut oil - 0g carbs / 14g fat / 0g protein
1 tbs butter 0g carbs / 12g fat / 0.1g protein
60ml lactofree cream 1.6g carbs / 22.2g fat / 1g protein
1tsp gelatin 0g carbs / 0g fat / 2.6g protein

Okay need to work the % but my drink has

2.2g carbs
49.4g fat
4.11g protein

Reactions: 12 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR . Your shepherds pie sounds absolutely delicious! I've never used celeriac. Is it difficult to prepare? :)
Celeriac is very popular on here and not difficult. It looks like a wrinkly turnip and you have to cut off quite a lot of the furrows with earth stuck in them but then it cooks in slices or chunks, or roasts or fries. It tastes of celery (surprise, not). I mix it with squash because I grow the squash.
The resulting mash is a bit watery but manageable as a topping. Put cheese on top -- does parmesan go crusty?
I want to grow celeriac next year if I can cos it's quite expensive.

Reactions: 8 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - some left over sandwich steak fried in strips mixed in with cheesy scrambled eggs - looked weird but tasted nice!
L - veg and bacon soup with half a lidl roll
Snack - small bag pork scratchings
D - kind of a hodge-podge of stuff, courgette noodles, pepper, mushroom stir fried with the addition of a small pot of soy and ginger tuna, then a peanut cream sauce stirred through, but made with sour cream and almond milk as I have run out of double cream! Was very yummy but not the type of thing I could serve hubby - he had a pie I bought him so he doesn't miss out on what he considers 'proper' food!

Reactions: 13 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yummy meal in tonight.

Chinese takeaway for dinner.
(found a superb place locally, sometimes you just need a chinese)

Vegatables in satay sauce,
Pork in a Schezwan sauce.

A bit of fried rice, a few noodles, a few prawn crackers. (but not an insignificant amount)

With a decent glass of beer, rather than lager.

I don't know what they do, possibly black magic, but I never go above mid 7.

That was after a salad for lunch, (outside), but I need to be inside with the aircon on for the spicy chinese.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DeejayR . Thanks for the information about celeriac. I will buy one and have a go.

Today.
B. Raspberries with Greek style yoghurt
L. 2 slices of chia seed and nut loaf with a piece of Stilton and a piece of cheddar
. D. Chicken cooked with carrots, onions and mushrooms in gravy with green beans.
S. 2 squares of Lindt dark chocolate. 70% I think. :)

Reactions: 6 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Eggs, Bacon & slice of German Rye bread toasted

L: smoked salmon & small salad with glass or two of Sauvignon blanc

D: sirloin steak with mushrooms stuffed with pesto and cheese, asparagus wrapped in Parma ham and fortina cheese and ratatouille
and a few glasses of cotes du rhone.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B - Bulletproof coffee
L - Bacon & "spinach surrender" (a frittata made with spinach, eggs & cheese)
D - Buttered prawns and more spinach! (needed using up)

S - Red wine and a couple of chicken drumsticks from the buffet at the party we were at.

This morning I weighed in at exactly ten and a half stone. Another milestone reached!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
"spinach surrender"
I know what it is but I can't find why it's called that ... o_O
Well done weightwise.
I was introduced to red kale yesterday (swap for a cucumber). It steamed down nicely and then I made kale crisps. Mrs DeeJay was not impressed with either so that's all the more for me

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yesterday was my fasting HbA1c so breakfast was a little out of kilter
B - Mcdonalds double sausage & egg mcmuffin (without the muffin)
L - Spinach & feta bites with a salad, bought at the office canteen
D - At an Italian restaurant so sirloin steak with stilton in a mozzarella sauce & salad. YUM. And red wine.

The spinach & feta bites were breaded but were the best food on offer. Those few bits of breadcrumbs gave me a +2 spike up to 7.7 postprandial. That's only just within the normal range and from only a few breadcrumbs; God knows where my BG would be if I'd had a wrap or potato. It was a reminder that, even though my diabetes was caught early and is under control with no symptoms, I can't be complacent and I mustn't forget that I just don't tolerate carbs anymore.
Can I ask how much weight you have lost since starting your lchf diet? Are you still losing or has weight never been a problem for you?
I need to lose 8 stone.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you anyway, I've lost over 45 llbs since April following a low carb diet, not deliberately eating fat, but not worrying about them either. I am now the lightest I have been for over 25 years. More importantly my HbA1c dropped from 88 to 32 in the first 3 months.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can I ask how much weight you have lost since starting your lchf diet? Are you still losing or has weight never been a problem for you?
I need to lose 8 stone.
The top end of healthy BMI for me would be 10 stone 2. I was diagnosed end of May, and I weighed almost 12 stone. I lost about 8-10 pounds in six weeks just cutting calories and following "Eatwell", but I felt dreadful. So I found this place, switched to LCHF in mid-July and have lost another 10 pounds in the six weeks since.

Total weight loss - almost a stone and a half in 3 months. My original target was to hit 10 and a half stone, and to be honest I didn't think I'd manage that. Now that I've hit that I'll try to get down to 10 stone.. I think that will be about right for me (46 years old and 5 foot 3)

So I lost pretty much the same weight at the same rate on both Eatwell and LCHF, but LCHF controls the BG, is way more fun and it makes me feel so much better!

Reactions: 12 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Resumed my morning fatty chocolate drink....
1 tsp raw caco - 0.6g carbs / 1.2g fat / 0.5g protein
1 tbs coconut oil - 0g carbs / 14g fat / 0g protein
1 tbs butter 0g carbs / 12g fat / 0.1g protein
60ml lactofree cream 1.6g carbs / 22.2g fat / 1g protein
1tsp gelatin 0g carbs / 0g fat / 2.6g protein

Okay need to work the % but my drink has

2.2g carbs
49.4g fat
4.11g protein

How do you bind these ingredients together?

Yesterday I had:
B: Cacao zoats with chia + flax seeds and coconut milk
running in the park, walking into the city, carrying heavy bags, etc etc
L: The most amazing market-veg-and-leftover-herbs minestrone without the pasta, but with some pumpkin seeds, cheese and olive oil on top
D: Meffins (herby, cheesy meat muffins) with fresh salad, olive oil and tahini

As I have cooked large amounts of these foods, my posts during the week will be very similar to this one :p

Reactions: 5 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you bind these ingredients together?

Jug blender at my place or if travelling then stick blender in large beaker with a towel over top to prevent splatter.

Makes it really frothy and nice.... can even add orange zest for a chocolate orange.

Edited to add I also use approx 200ml of hot not boiling water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today.
2 egg cheese omelette
handful of blueberries, raspberries 4 x strawberries and 2 x desert spoonfuls of Roddas Cornish clotted cream.
Lunch.
Home made tomato and mascarpone soup.
Dinner for tonight
Home made Pad Thai chicken with tangy almond sauce on a bed of kelp noodles.

Daily total works out to 1100 calories, 31g carbs 72g of fat 68g of protien 6g of sugar

Reactions: 7 people