Aldi Deluxe Low Carb Sausages

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love my sausages,need to keep an eye on portion sizes!! Just a heads up regarding Aldi Deluxe pork sausages.Just had a couple of the Cumberland variety.Pretty good quality and..........only 1.9g carbohydrate per grilled sausage.Bettered only by the Lincolnshire ones which are less than 0.5g per banger.They are pretty tasty too.Gonna try taking the skins off to make low carb scotch eggs with a parmesan and almond flour crumb.Scotch Eggs always a lovely treat homemade and always disastrous when bought in.Never had a good one I didn't make myself.In the words of Mr Clarkson "How hard can it be?"
By the way I added the Low Carb bit they are labeled as Aldi Deluxe pork sausages.Cumberland packaging has purple writing.Lincolnshire a kinda sage green writing.Other varieties ie Pork and Pork Chipolatas are tasty too but not as kind on carbs.They are not too pricey either.
Somebody told me that with Aldi being a german company ,they mostly abide by the german regulations which ban cereal fillers etc.They apparently insist that suppliers even outside germany adhere to this.Makes sense to me, after all the germans take their sausages as seriously as the french love their cheese.It sounds plausible to me.Does anyone know any better??

Now anyone got a low carb yorkshire pudding recipe....can you see where I am going with this???

Reactions: 6 people

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Buy these all the time also get caramelised onion 2.9 per sausage

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Aldi's Specially Selected range of sausages are really good and as you say they are low in carbs, all the high meat sausages are good such as The Black Farmer, Debbie & Andrews & Heck to name a few.

Reactions: 2 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't seen those yet.Sounds to me like just the thing for a slow cooked casserole made with home made onion gravy,mushrooms, and a splash of red wine.....Unless you haven't guessed I am only diagnosed just over a month type 2 and keep writing down recipes when I come across them. Keepin a LCHF diet varied and interesting is gonna take some input long term I reckon.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure Iceland do ones that are 0.9 per sausage as well in there fresh section in fact the do or at least did as I bought them

newest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cricket
co-op truly irrissistable range are 2.97 for 2, they are also very tasty, bit pricey at £3.00 for six, but worth it.:D

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers will have a look next time I am near a co-op.I have been meaning to find one as I heard they have a really low carb own label lager.Hey!! Beer and sausages the cornerstone of any nutritional meal!!!

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi's Specially Selected range of sausages are really good and as you say they are low in carbs, all the high meat sausages are good such as The Black Farmer, Debbie & Andrews & Heck to name a few.

Oooo I love me a sausage square patty me... once cooked sliced in half use as a sandwich with avocado and cucmber, some brie slices and a little chilli.
Mmmm I only found Heck at Tesco's....

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Musk's gluten-free Newmarket sausages grilled 3.5g carbs per 100g www.musks.com

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Redsnapper - try ground down pork scratchings as a coating for your scotch eggs - far nicer than the almond crumb and a great crunch

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Black Farmers, about 1g carb per sausage, so at that level I can allow myself a squirt of HP sauce. ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't seen those yet.Sounds to me like just the thing for a slow cooked casserole made with home made onion gravy,mushrooms, and a splash of red wine.....Unless you haven't guessed I am only diagnosed just over a month type 2 and keep writing down recipes when I come across them. Keepin a LCHF diet varied and interesting is gonna take some input long term I reckon.

You'll be surprised how easy it becomes. Of course, it's different to pre-D, but in time, it just becomes almost second nature.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'm getting there.just bought some 50% less sugar 25% less salt ketchup from Heinz.So low carb bangers and lower carb sauce makes it less of a guilty pleasure.
I already have quite a few go to foods or recipes already.They are quite different from what I was eating before and really tasty.If I am honest my previous diet was in a real rut.I can look back on several occasions of wandering round the supermarket with either very little in the trolley,followed by exit for a takeaway,or said trolley was full of the same stuff every time.Just out of habit.
I am back in the kitchen knocking stuff up from scratch,which is great, if I can stop it all being pinched.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Redsnapper - try ground down pork scratchings as a coating for your scotch eggs - far nicer than the almond crumb and a great crunch
Now that sounds like a plan! Thanks cos I bought a couple of packs of the cheaper ones and don't really like em.Sainsbury's do good quality ones for a nibble tho.

beefer

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Redsnapper
Well done Sir! Thanks for your note - this is quite a coincidence - I was in Lidl just yesterday and - also a sausage lover - I happened to look at their own brand sausages, including the Cumberland ones, and didn’t believe the low carb numbers I read on the label (nor the low percentage fat ones either) - I can’t remember what the actual numbers were, but your point about fillers - being another German company - answers my query - and I’d thought it must be printing mistakes!

I’ll be getting back there again very soon.