17, type 1 and struggling

amysakura123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm Amy and I'm 17 years old. I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 2 years old and lately I've been really struggling with it. I find it hard to remember to check my blood sugar and generally accept the fact that I have diabetes. I get really ashamed and therefore I don't tell my mum or doctors because I feel like I should be able to control my illness after having it for 15 years. I understand that there are major complications with not caring for my diabetes and yet I can't seem to just do it. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me or could give some advice?

Reactions: 2 people

Annietw1493

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amy, my names Annie, I can relate to what your going through. I have had diabetes since I was 9 and am now 21 and this past year I had a very similar experience. I wasnt doing many sugars and my hba1c went high. I felt like I lost control but didnt tell anyone as I felt I was failing, which made things worse and my control got worse and my sugars didn't do what they were meant to as the stress was sending me high. I finally told a tutor at my uni and they sat with me and just listened and spoke things through, I then spoke with my DSN and put a plan in place. Its hard, but although you have had it for the ladt 15 years thinga change, where you are in life how your diabetes reacts and the things you do day to day. And all of it impacta on diabetes unfortunately. It is not something you can really control on your own and this is what I have recently learnt.
I found that talking to someone anyone they dont have to be medical just so you can hear it and once you have said it once I find it makes it easier a second time. Then speak to your DSN and put a plan in place to do more sugars. Set alarms on phones have an app on your phone. What ever works for you. Take it one step at a time. Don't expect it to change over night, keep at it I am sure you will soon be back on track.
Hope this helps, any questions just ask, we are all here to help each other. Don't worry you are not on your own. Xx

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Amy, I have had type 1 since 1967 and also rebelled in my teenage years , not testing hiding it from people but soon realised that to live a full life as possible you must take care and manage your diabetes, think of the future and the things you want to achieve which are all possible with good control, diabetes makes me want to be the best I can and do things that everyone else does, at the end of the day your destiny is in your hands, I hope you can work at it and good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Amy, I've only been diagnosed for a few months and I've been having the same problem as you only up to a few weeks ago. I decided to put a reminder in my phone that goes off every 2 hours to tell me to check my bloods. It might help you, it might not

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm Amy and I'm 17 years old. I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 2 years old and lately I've been really struggling with it. I find it hard to remember to check my blood sugar and generally accept the fact that I have diabetes. I get really ashamed and therefore I don't tell my mum or doctors because I feel like I should be able to control my illness after having it for 15 years. I understand that there are major complications with not caring for my diabetes and yet I can't seem to just do it. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me or could give some advice?
I'm certain we all get that way from time to time.ask your GP who specifies in Diabetes