Vision Express

GrahamE

I wasn't going to post this, but was urged to because surely this is illegal?

I went into Vision Express opticians looking for a new pair of glasses (first time I'd been to a Vision Express), and the staff were really keen to sell their current offer. I said I needed a new eye-test before I bought anything and the girl said of course, and went to see if I could be fitted in. Yes, she said - we can fit you in, in 20 to 30 minutes and the cost was £25.

So I explained I was diabetic, and actually didn't pay for eye-tests, this then suddenly seemed to be 'a problem' and she went away to 'speak to the manager' and came back and suddenly (yes, you guessed it) I now couldn't be 'fitted in' anymore and unbelievably she said "it takes too long to deal with diabetics" !!! She also bizarrely asked me about what 'eye drops' I used? I told her I don't take eye-drops and didn't know what she was talking about...

Suffice to say, a real lack of knowledge for an opticians, and terrible attitude towards diabetics. Very bad service indeed.

So I left and went straight to John Lewis, and had an eye-test immediately with no problems whatsoever (and also bought glasses there instead).

I emailed Vision Express customer services but (yes, you guessed again) they NEVER replied. Unbelievable

:eek:(

Reactions: 10 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
That is quite disgusting and I would keep sending e mails or ring head office until you can put in a complaint. I have used them in the past but not since being diabetic, I was always happy with the service I got albeit s l o w very slow, think you have been unlucky with your store. Several years ago I popped in there to get a test and the optician referred me immediately to the eye clinic, I had a tiny hole in the lens and the consultant said I had an exceptional optician to have spotted it. I think the staff need re training with knowledge of diabetese, we take no longer than other patients to have new glasses fitted, I have just replaced mine without probem. Admittedly the Retinopathy check takes time but I think your problem was with floor staff and not the actual optician, thanks to mine I kept my sight a little longer

Reactions: 8 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I would post this on their Facebook page. You will be amazed how quickly they respond!! Sue xxx

Reactions: 19 people

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your issues ... I have slapped it all over their pages on FB and Twitter ..... Hope it helps

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hope you run them out of business ... more than they deserve

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I went into Vision Express opticians looking for a new pair of glasses (first time I'd been to a Vision Express), and the staff were really keen to sell their current offer. I said I needed a new eye-test before I bought anything and the girl said of course, and went to see if I could be fitted in. Yes, she said - we can fit you in, in 20 to 30 minutes and the cost was £25.

So I explained I was diabetic, and actually didn't pay for eye-tests, this then suddenly seemed to be 'a problem' and she went away to 'speak to the manager' and came back and suddenly (yes, you guessed it) I now couldn't be 'fitted in' anymore and unbelievably she said "it takes too long to deal with diabetics" !!! She also bizarrely asked me about what 'eye drops' I used? I told her I don't take eye-drops and didn't know what she was talking about...

Suffice to say, a real lack of knowledge for an opticians, and terrible attitude towards diabetics. Very bad service indeed.

So I left and went straight to John Lewis, and had an eye-test immediately with no problems whatsoever (and also bought glasses there instead).

I emailed Vision Express customer services but (yes, you guessed again) they NEVER replied. Unbelievable

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1436858066.713423.jpg

Graham
U better give em a shout
They are scared now

Reactions: 4 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
If you ever have a problem with a vision express store, just demand to see the dispensing optician.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just invited vision express to come and join the forum to explain to us all what their code of practice is with regards to diabetics

Let's see shall we !!

Reactions: 10 people

GrahamE

thanks everyone. And many thanks for posting on Facebook. They hadn't replied to my email but suddenly they did! And offered me sun glasses up to 250 quid... think i'll take a cheque....

Reactions: 15 people

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone. And many thanks for posting on Facebook. They hadn't replied to my email but suddenly they did! And offered me sun glasses up to 250 quid... think i'll take a cheque....

Sometimes it helps to be direct and not to flinch

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Scumbags....easy money etc, don't give a **** about diabetics just cash. Hope they change their scams or suffer bad press and loss of business. Specsavers give me a free eye test every year since being diabetic.

Reactions: 6 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I used Vision Express once iduring my pre-diabetic days. I thought they were only interested in making money and not in healthcare. The eye test I was given was rushed and sub-standard in comparison to the opticians at Boots. Always use Boots now even though they may be a little more expensive.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all . If just had an eye test today at specsavers . And they could not have been more helpful . I'll be going back ther again
Clive

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I just have to add that you just must have been unlucky with the staff at that store (there are good and badly trained staff at every establishment) not to mention the ones that Shine....

What I wantted to say was that it was thanks to an optician at vision express that I was diagnosed as a diabetic, as he urged me to make an appointment with my doctor to get myself checked out. Long story but usual drinking swimming pools and loo visits and what had taken me to optician's was my eyesight falling me. What can I say I had no idea I was diabetic and it was his urging me to see the doctor that lead to my rapidly being diagnosed.

You were right to expose bad service at that store on here, but there are probably more better staffed stores out there and hopefully Vision Express will address what happened to you at your store asap.

I will add thou, lets see what happens when I go back for another eye test as a diabetic.

One more time thou, my experience had a shining star that helped me out...

Oh and I bought some glasses...

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I went to a vision express shop in Workington ,west cumbria. with my partner.he had made an appointment for a diabetic eye test.on arrival he was treated well while he went for his eye test I was offered tea or coffee while I waited. on his next visit to collect his new glasses every thing was great, the staff member was I think indian , she was brilliant with both of us. even opened the shop door for us when we left the shop. great customer service.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a customer at Specsavers, get a free annual examination which includes photographing my retinas. Can't fault the expertise, equipment, service or prices. Husband has switched from Boots to Specsavers for his reading glasses, much cheaper than Boots.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't really see why we expect everyone we meet to be a diabetic expert?

I used to get a list of local opticians that were qualified, and registered with the local authority to specifically look after diabetics, and perform the free annual eye test, including the 'normal' eye sight test among the other tests.

I wouldn't expect to be able to simply turn up at any optician and expect them to have invested time, and money in training for a specific niche market, and also expect them to fit me in without an appointment.
But I would certainly expect them to admit they weren't qualified, rather than mess about and make a hash of it.
And if they don't take longer with a normal diabetic than they do with a none diabetic customer, you've not had the annual field of vision test, the retinopathy test, and the proper care you should be getting.
I hope John Lewis did this for you.
If not, question them as to why they accepted your voucher for the free annual test, but didn't do the proper diabetic care.
You are only allowed one free test per year.

Or possibly you attend a hospital for the other tests?