Fish?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Salmon with chives cooked in oven.. Plain and simple.

There are lovely Philadelphia cheese fishcake recipes... They put in bread... But I put in a 1/4 of their suggestion. I use a mix of frozen cod n frozen pollock to make mine.

Marks n sparks do lovely beer battered cod with scraps... Really yummy but not that low carb unless having with salad etc...

We have salmon one day, mackerel fillets (plain ones from Waitrose another day - no cooking-no smells!) and fishcake another day and either cod or haddock from M&S another day. All with salads.... Not just summer- but winter too!!!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

On the advice of some forum members I have compiled a monthly food plan. In my plan once a week I must have fish (I don't really like it that much!)

Fish day will be a Wednesday and one week it will be my cheesy tuna bake but I don't know what to have on the alternate week.

Any fish lovers with some suggestions? I don't like bones in fish as I had one caught in my throat when I was younger and don't like fish which tastes too fishy...makrel at al lol I am probably thinking of a meaty type white fish? That you can probably get from the supermarket all cleaned and ready to go!

What fish fits the bill?

As always thank you

Excellent! When busy, it really takes the pressure off to know what's for tea, and when planned, it makes the shopping list easy too.

I love fish, but I eat it at a snail's pace, searching for bones. Fortunately, I like canned fish, like sardines and mackerel, so I tend to sometimes have that at lunchtime.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed @AndBreathe I've been meaning to do it from the thread a few weeks back and only got around to finishing it yesterday and although we started mid week, it has certainly helped take my mind of food all the time!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This recipe for fish pie is delicious and not as complicated as the list of ingredients may suggest! I use mashed cauliflower instead of potato and ignore the requirement for vermouth (you may have some knocking about at the back of a cupboard). You can usually buy a mix of fish for fish pie from the fish counter at the supermarket. If you don't like prawns, leave them out.
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/2075/posh-fish-pie

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mmm to the trout recipe..

Much of the 'fresh' fish seen on fish counters and fish and seafood in packs/bags in chilled or frozen sections is farmed and has travelled vast distances and been fed on who knows what. Some of the fish farming videos from the Far East on YouTube look well dodgy.

But if you're prepared to read labels, you can buy reasonably priced fresh, frozen or tinned wild fish and seafood of all kinds from supermarkets and stores like Poundland.

I would suggest swordfish, which is wild, frozen at sea and extremely dense and I buy it from Iceland. It's not really cheap, but if you're only eating fish once a week it will last a few meals and you can smother it in parsley sauce, cheese sauce etc and forget that it's fish.

Reactions: 3 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dizz, had your trout recipe tonight, beautiful, Sainsbury had Scottish loch trout. Thank you.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sometimes get fish from counter at Asda, really good & make Mary Berrys fishcakes, (cod/pollock & tinned crab ) so tasty, have with salad too - lovely. They're salmon is a good price too

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
North East of Scotland recipe: Cullen skink, my slant on it : Cullen kink! Smoked haddock, half an onion, I cauliflower head, I tub of cream. Cook till cauliflower is disintegrating ( bout 40mins) usually made with potato but cauliflower works!

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

On the advice of some forum members I have compiled a monthly food plan. In my plan once a week I must have fish (I don't really like it that much!)

Fish day will be a Wednesday and one week it will be my cheesy tuna bake but I don't know what to have on the alternate week.

Any fish lovers with some suggestions? I don't like bones in fish as I had one caught in my throat when I was younger and don't like fish which tastes too fishy...makrel at al lol I am probably thinking of a meaty type white fish? That you can probably get from the supermarket all cleaned and ready to go!

What fish fits the bill?

As always thank you
well I'm a fish fan love haddock and cod from fish and chip shops and from supermarkets Mackerel in veg oil it tin or kipper fillets in tin my mam used to buy John Dory from the local fishmonger whow it was tasty.im also into fishcakes, have you ever had smoked haddock fishcakes mmm really tasty you can get them from house of frazer restraunts. I also love prepared shrimps ,plaice and sole. yesterday I got a large cod there wasn't one bone in it.i live in a coastal town called maryport uk we have a lot of fishing boats working from the Harbour with a fresh fish shop on the harbour , thers a couple of pubs there vselling first class fresh fish meals

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I'm a fish fan love haddock and cod from fish and chip shops and from supermarkets Mackerel in veg oil it tin or kipper fillets in tin my mam used to buy John Dory from the local fishmonger whow it was tasty.im also into fishcakes, have you ever had smoked haddock fishcakes mmm really tasty you can get them from house of frazer restraunts. I also love prepared shrimps ,plaice and sole. yesterday I got a large cod there wasn't one bone in it.i live in a coastal town called maryport uk we have a lot of fishing boats working from the Harbour with a fresh fish shop on the harbour , thers a couple of pubs there vselling first class fresh fish meals
Lucky you!

We had smoked haddock fishcakes last night, all the way from Lidl's! Delicious they are too...

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
love fish pies there made with Pollock, if you fance some tasty fish soup like lobster or crab Baxters make it and morrisons sell it. crab paste in tins very tasty on cream crackers . abroath smokys are good. trout and salmon

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky you!

We had smoked haddock fishcakes last night, all the way from Lidl's! Delicious they are too...
Try Cullen kink, smoked haddock, haf onion, I head cauliflower , I tub double cream, I pt fc milk,cook medium heat 45 mins. Cullen skink potatoes.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love fish, (no issue with bones, I can mostly eat around them)

But a nice white fish, (depending on the catch) and baked with something like a roquefort, (again, whatever is on offer, but I find the sheep milk cheeses tend to be a softer taste than a classical blue cheese)

Depending on the fish though, some need to be filleted first, or the bones go to soft to remove easily later, some need to be pan fried stuffed with cheese 'on the bone', and the bones stay firm enough to remove at the table.
I prefer the latter method, it's a far more interesting way to eat.

Served with a green olive salad.

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ocado has fresh Waitrose wild Alaskan boneless Keta salmon fillets 3 packs for £10 at the moment. Poundland has Ivory O Ledoux Fontinella wild pink salmon 213g cans for £1.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Kedgeree here is Jamie O's recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/kedgeree/#sxa43whBSSJWefgq.97 instead of rice I use spaghetti squash and use the squash casing as my serving bowl. Most would probably exchange the rice for cauliflower rice, I don't like Cauliflower.

Salmon burgers are versatile you can make those with a host of ingredients, capers, sesame seeds - for the rest of the family I sometimes turn them into fish cakes bulked with mashed potatoes.