Diagnosed Type 2 yesterday

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed yesterday am as Type 2 diabetes following investigations for palpitations. Blood test was done and my level was 50. Doctor just then said you are diabetic and tried to tell me I had symptoms that I didn't have. He told me in his opinion it was worse than cancer and so I needed to do something about it. Then he wondered why I cried. He said go away and double your exercise and halve what you eat ( if I could do that I would not have a BMI over 40 already - why do all docs think I like being fat?) I said that I had struggled all my adult life with my weight and did not think I would find it easy to do what he said. So he prescribe metaformin 500 once a day and said come back in a month but I can't test you for 2 months. I feel devastated, confused by also like I haven't got a clue what I need to do. I am deeply ashamed and feel I cannot tell anyone as they will just say it's my own fault - which I know it probably is.

Any advice or help anyone can offer?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. What a terrible doctor. Diabetes is certainly not worse than cancer and can be well managed and if so has few if any long-term problems. The key is diet. This means keeping the carbs way down and having enough proteins, veg and fats to make you feel full. The Metformin will help and I suspect the metformin dose may be increased over the coming weeks. A blood suagr level of 50 is not good but certianly not that bad, so follow a low-carb diet and your weight and blood sugar should come down.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed yesterday am as Type 2 diabetes following investigations for palpitations. Blood test was done and my level was 50. Doctor just then said you are diabetic and tried to tell me I had symptoms that I didn't have. He told me in his opinion it was worse than cancer and so I needed to do something about it. Then he wondered why I cried. He said go away and double your exercise and halve what you eat ( if I could do that I would not have a BMI over 40 already - why do all docs think I like being fat?) I said that I had struggled all my adult life with my weight and did not think I would find it easy to do what he said. So he prescribe metaformin 500 once a day and said come back in a month but I can't test you for 2 months. I feel devastated, confused by also like I haven't got a clue what I need to do. I am deeply ashamed and feel I cannot tell anyone as they will just say it's my own fault - which I know it probably is.

Any advice or help anyone can offer?

That's shocking treatment from your GP!

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.
Have a read around the low carb forum and learn about what you can do for both your blood glucose levels and your weight.

It can be controlled, have a read the success stories on the forum.

Welcome, you've made your first step to a better lifestyle.

Reactions: 2 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How sad that your doctor treated you so badly. They really should know better especially as good health can be as much about mental state as physical I feel. Personally I think that many people are overweight because they have insulin resistance rather than having insulin resistance and diabetes because they are overweight. So don't feel ashamed and be happy that you have come to the right place where you will find supportive people and plenty of good advice. @daisy1 (not sure how to tag her) will post some good advice about what to eat as a diabetic and if you feel up to it do have a browse through the low carb diet (think lifestyle rather than diet) threads which has great info and ideas of what to eat to cut carbs and usually lose weight without feeling deprived or hungry.

lennster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
giving myself insulin shots!!!!!
I was diagnosed Type 2 last week, your Dr. sounds like a jerk, I was shocked, my glucose was 250,and AC was 10.8, he said there was a 75% chance I would be on meds most of my .

I started 15 units of levermer Wed, and have started a low card diet, my numbers are getting in line, already I'm hopeful with the change of my eating habits I can reverse this.

Keep your headup and get to it seadragon you can do it....

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is your doctor who should be ashamed and definitely not you.However coming to this forum will greatly help you.There will be a lot to take on board over the next few weeks.Don't worry though as there are so many to advise and help.Get to know your way around the many parts of the forum.You will soon be on your way.I have set myself some goals and am moving towards them with the benefit of learning so much about my type 2 from here.
I reckon I will soon know at least as much if not more about it than my G.P. or D.N. After all knowledge is power.
Think about how that would be next time you speak to your doc??

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I encourage you to consider changing to another doctor. There needs to be a basic level or courtesy and respect towards patients. I also think he sounds incompetent, and you need a competent doctor. You might be able to see another doctor in the same practice, or change to another practice. If not, call the NHS office to complain and they can allow you to register with another practice. You are allowed to make a formal complaint, and it may help other patients in future if you do.

My BMI was 46 and with low carbing I got it down to 27 in a year. You can do it :) All the best.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Goldiespring

Hello Goldie and welcome to the forum :) What a horrible doctor - I do hope you can manage to change to find someone encouraging. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will help you, especially with reduction of carbohydrates. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not your fault so never let anyone tell you it is. Sure some of the choices we make in life may contribute to it but to be spoken to like that from a doctor is unbelievable. You are in the right place to get yourself on track, no one will judge you here.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a ***** of a doctor! The last thing you needed at diagnosis was an insensitive doctor basically calling you fat and that you had brought it all on yourself. I had the same experience and changed doctors twice until I found a good one. I rarely see a doctor now but my DSN is fabulous.
First of all, please stop blaming yourself. Diabetes is caused by a number of things, weight being just one of them. Ok, so you could have potentially stopped it if you were thinner, but maybe you have a genetic predisposition, or another condition that could affect it. If it was only being overweight that was the problem then the diabetes 'epidemic' would be much worse.
The best thing to do is now accept the situation and move forward. I buried my head in the sand for a very long time but wish I had made changes immediately.
Read everything on the forums, and Daisy's info, then try a Low Carb, higher fat diet. Ignore the eat well plate, it does not work for the majority of T2s, and avoid low fat foods as they are full of sugar.
Welcome to the community, you are in the best place to start your new journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much to everyone who has responded. I will go back to the docs I think and see a different person. This doctor is new to the practice so will go to one of those who has been brilliant with my depression before. I am on holiday at the moment and trying to get a feel of what to eat - fortunately in the caravan so in control of all of that! It's going to be hard to reduce carbs - they are my go to food! After many years of unsuccessful dieting I have become terrified of fat! However am beginning to see that reducing car requires increase in fat to keep calories! I feel I am flying blind as I have no idea what foods affect my blood glucose. Is it a good idea to get a meter and to test?

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YES!!!! Get a meter and test. A lot!! Especially at first. Ask your doctor which machine they will prescribe test strips for, or if they even will prescribe them as many do not give them to T2s. I have a GlucoRX given to me by the doctor, it's ok but not as good as the Onetouch Verio that I also have. Both of these have expensive strip though so if you will have to buy your own then many people use this http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Coming off carbs is like coming off an addictive substance such as heroin, It sounds like I am exaggerating but sugar is as addictive, if not more so. Give yourself two weeks, they will be difficult 2 weeks but once the side effects wear off you will feel much better and not crave carbs or sugars as badly.
Read the LCHF forums here, you'll learn a lot!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Oh indeed yes, it is a good idea to get a meter. It is the best tool we have to learn which foods we can eat (or not eat). Without one you are working blind. Many of us use the Codefree because it has the cheapest test strips, and initially you will need a lot of strips. Have a look here. http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

If you buy 5 packs or 10 packs of extra strips there is a discount code you can use.

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Johnbarr65

Hi there.
Is there a senior doctor at your practice? I had a bad experience with a new "hired hand" GP, but a few polite but very direct words with the senior partner soon put paid to that. Now being treated as all patients should be. Don't be afraid to stand up to cheeky or incompetent health staff! As for his cancer comment words fail me!

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was that comment that caused me the most pain! I'm fully aware of the dangers with type 2 having had a friend lose her feet and be very ill through it. I was already freaked!

Johnbarr65

Believe me, this site and the excellent posters will be an immense help to you. They can't offer a cure but they have vast experience of what works when. Keep reading, keep posting and you will soon be on a better path.