Type 2 And New

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will learn if you read round this forum, and understand the role of carbohydrate. Use your meter to help you learn. It is your best tool. Test immediately before eating, then test again 2 hours after starting your meal. How big a rise did you see? Any more than 2mmol/l and that meal needs a lot of tweaking to reduce the carb elements. Either completely or in tiny portions only. Once you get the hang of it you can aim for a more ideal rise of less than 1.5mmol/l.

Try not to think of what you can't eat, but more about what you can eat. Any meat or fish, eggs, cheese, green veggies, salads, mushrooms, a small tomato or a few cherry tomatoes, berries, butter, cream, olive oil, avocados, unsweetened yogurts (full fat ones are best. Add a couple of chopped strawberries for sweetness). Try a good English fry up for breakfast or lunch (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, high meat content sausage). The list is endless.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks. my readings are terrible only because I,m new Type 2 and have not learnt about diet
You will get there. Learning what to eat and not eat is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Things will get better for you, I'm sure.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. Sorry I forgot about the Metformin problems you had. About carbs, you might want to set 150gm/day as a max target and go a bit lower at least for a while if you can. Some manage way below 100gm/day which I would find difficult, but I tend to stay around 150 which you can easily get used to once you realise there are lots of other foods based more around protein, veg with fats.

Reactions: 3 people

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I,m not trying to be funny here. What has a slice of bread or a small spud got in gm? See I really am new and trying to figure out

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks. I,m not trying to be funny here. What has a slice of bread or a small spud got in gm? See I really am new and trying to figure out
You can get phone apps and so on but I just google the name of the food with the word "carb" and a whole lot of nutritional info comes up. Using this method it tells me a small spud is 30g carb and a slice of bread is 12g. A lot of people may have 1 slice of bread a day, and they find new potatoes spike their blood sugar more than older potatoes.

Remember you don't have to go hard core and cut carbs right back to next to nothing. Even reducing them from say 400g to 150g a day is likely to help. I have read about people here finding after a while they need to lower them further to keep making progress though.

Reactions: 4 people

BlueTwist

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Welcome Olaf! I am new to the forum also and like you a little confused over the carbs etc. There seems to be so much information on this forum which I hope we will both find useful!

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Nb Test 2 Hours after you finish a meal, Blood sugars increase quickly with sugary meal, the starchy carbohydrates cause a delayed rise in blood sugar level and a delayed fall. Testing 15 minutes early or later makes a big difference.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember making a joke when I was first diagnosed that I'd "rather die than give up crusty white bread and chocolate".

At the start of this year I got such a shock when they found the very early stages of diabetic retinopathy and I realised that if I continued to eat my breads and sweets I might actually go blind. So I educated myself (just as you are doing @Olaf-Jensen ) and now my tests show my diabetes is in remission! By testing repeatedly I've found that bread is a no-no for me but I can eat small quantities of boiled potatoes - everyone is different and only testing will tell you what's right for you.

Good luck and welcome onboard :)

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yeah I got my eye test coming on the 7th. Going blind would be the last straw for me I think, I saw my Uncle lose both eye,s and it was awful to say the least.
So what do you do then? Eat a piece of bread then test 2 hours later?

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yeah I got my eye test coming on the 7th. Going blind would be the last straw for me I think, I saw my Uncle lose both eye,s and it was awful to say the least.
So what do you do then? Eat a piece of bread then test 2 hours later?

Yep, pretty much! Test before you eat a meal, then 2 hours after the first bite. Ideally, your blood sugars shouldn't rise by more than 2 points. Remember that fat and protein help smooth out blood sugar spikes so don't just eat a plain slice of bread as a test. Eat it as part of a meal - cheese on toast for example, and see how you get on :)

Edit to add useful link: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, pretty much! Test before you eat a meal, then 2 hours after the first bite. Ideally, your blood sugars shouldn't rise by more than 2 points. Remember that fat and protein help smooth out blood sugar spikes so don't just eat a plain slice of bread as a test. Eat it as part of a meal - cheese on toast for example, and see how you get on :)
Yeah I will. Pre breakfast was 14.1, not good. Just started to cut out spuds. Had 1 slice of German rye bread this morning with fish

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I will. Pre breakfast was 14.1, not good. Just started to cut out spuds. Had 1 slice of German rye bread this morning with fish
Hi @Olaf-Jensen welcome to the forum. Although 14.1 is high it's not as high as the 17-21 readings that you have been getting so you're getting there and by cutting down on carbs it should get lower. I find that I can eat 1 to 2 slices of seeded bread in a sandwich or with eggs etc but you need to look at the nutritional info on the packet because even seeded breads differ in that the one I have is 13.5g carbs per slice but another one has 17g. Also, assuming you have them in your area, Lidls do a nice high protein, brown roll which has about 8g of carbs and they are quite big - I can only manage 1/2 of one normally. remember that there is a lot ofs upport from the forum and don't worry about asking questions!

Reactions: 3 people

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my high readings were about 22 to 24. I have now been on very low carf today and its now 11.0
Had 1 slice of German Rye flat bread this morning and it took the reading up by less than 1 point more

Reactions: 4 people

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my high readings were about 22 to 24. I have now been on very low carf today and its now 11.0
Had 1 slice of German Rye flat bread this morning and it took the reading up by less than 1 point more
That German bread I,m on about has 38g Carb in the whole packet. I think there are 8 slices in it

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I,m 55 and just found out I have Type 2. Not taking any meds and need advice on carbs and so forth. Feeling very poorly at the mo. Blood sugar between 17 and 21
Just like to say thanks to all. You are so friendly. Please do not be disappointed if I do not answer all reply's, there are to many

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be a bit of a shock to the system to cut out things like bread and potatoes but with time you will find you no longer miss them. It is all about learning which foods your body can tolerate, which can take time but it is well worth it. Follow daisy's great advice and you should see your BS starting to decline. It can be a bit of a long journey but be rest assured we are here for you so if you have any specific questions don't be afraid to ask as we are all speaking from experience.

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Olaf I was diagnosef last week .Same numbers as u ,now between 10 -14 ..Was very very down ,but now starting to feel much more positive .Keep the chin up .Lots of support on here ,hugs xx

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went straight on meds .My doc wanted me to do diet etc and wait to get appointment with clinic ,like maybe 3 months later.. but my hubby got straight on.phone and told clinic how upset I was and they gave me a slot to come in tat day...hubby very persuasive it seems! I asked to be put on a tablet as I had been reading how continuous high blood sugars can affect a persons organs,so I was given prescription. I would rather go o+ meds straight away with in view to later going off them or cutting back perhaps!! hough normally I hate taking any drugs..