Type 1 at 21

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Three months ago I was diagnosed with type 1. I had no history in the family whatsoever, and thought at 21 that my symptoms could never be diabetes, but hey, that's life! Just wondering if anyone else here has had a type one diagnosis which came as a real shock? Or if anyone else has been diagnosed whilst at uni? (I'm about to finish a years placement before going into my fourth year)

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to say hi and welcome. I'm t2 but it was still a shock.
@daisy1 has helpful info for new members. Other t1 members on the site should be able to share more about their experience. Enjoy your placement

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Becky, only just seen this post. So sorry to hear you got dealt this hand at 21! I'm 57 year old housewife and was diagnosed T1 last October after 9 months of traipsing to the surgery with horrendous leg and foot cramps. No family history of diabetes though my dad had RA. Came as huge shock to both the GP and myself. I'm not thrilled about it but count myself very lucky to have got to this age before it developing. At least you escaped having it during your childhood. My heart goes out to you. At 21 one's life is so full and busy without all this extra steep learning curve! Luckily you sound level headed and smart. I think diabetes comes as a shock to most of us.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not all bad. It forces you to eat well, exercise more, and for me I'm studying the condition which means back to Chemistry....I know the high level, but since this is a likely life long gig, knowledge is power.

What subject is your degree?

Reactions: 2 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My degree is chemistry actually! :) so on the right course haha. Thanks for the support guys, I do feel lucky to have had 21 years T1 free.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @becky.ford93 on doing Chemistry, one more year to go! I remember my A-level Chemistry teacher telling me not to do Chemistry at university because it was so difficult! Great to see your HBA1C much better too :)

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah finally getting there!! I get my exam results for this year in a week, can't wait to finally write this year off and start a fresh. Thank you :) having another blood test in a few weeks and (finally) an appointment with the consultant so fingers crossed it's stayed down

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to say "Hi" and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will gain a wealth of knowledge from some of the great T1 members here. :)

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T-1 when I was 16. It was the first day of college! I had to take the first two weeks out, then come back and try and make new friends whilst coming to terms with this strange new illness...
I had very little knowledge of Diabetes when I was diagnosed, and the only bits I did know were from my half sister who died from complications when I was very little, so I initially thought it was a death sentence.
But I managed and ten years on I'm still here, having gone to uni and all that stuff :)

Reactions: 4 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's so good to hear :) must have been horrible to have had such bad timing, not to mention the fear of what happened to your half sister. I was lucky that with A level biology I seemed to know a bit, but theres always so much to learn and speaking to people I had no idea how little most people do understand about it. I think education is so important and spreading the word (especially that we don't have this because we ate too many sweets as children!)

Reactions: 4 people

Mollysdrunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T1 at 18, just as I started uni and although I already knew it was in the family it was still a shock at that age, the stereotype is more that you're diagnosed as a child so that's more what you expect (although I'm very aware it's any age!). Getting diagnosed in uni is tough but you'll almost be guaranteed to be healthier than a lot of other students!

Reactions: 6 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I've come up against a lot of people who seem to automatically assume I'm type 2 because of my age, gets kinda frustrating!