Survey - Diabetes and Depression

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, this is a quick survey to find out how many diabetics have experienced suicidal and or depressed thoughts all of a sudden
Survey Link - http://strawpoll.me/5346204
Hi James
Not personally although a low mood is not uncommon in fact as a psychiatric nurse I have cared for many diabetic patients who wrestled with very deep depression and suicidal ideation.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting survey. Can't say that it has ever been something that has affected me that way. Quite the opposite in fact.

Bagpuss Lives!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The depression happened before the diabetes. Treatment started @ 18 for depression, diagnosed @ 25 with diabetes. Whether the diabetes was triggered by chronic stress, lack of support, childhood bereavement or long- term self-harming (od's) is anyone s guess. I have type 1. And I've had suicidal thoughts at various times over the years, old age & experience has taught me to ride through them. Having to be constantly alert about whether you're alive or nearby dead or not has caused me mental burnout. It can be hard work trying to keep myself alive.

Reactions: 4 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was anxious for two weeks after the diagnosis, now I am relaxed about it most of the time. However, I also wonder whether s stressful life before diabetes (type 2) had an influence.

Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting question. Should it be solely aimed at Diabetics?

When faced with your own mortality, I'd imagine the figures are quite high until the patient learns to cope with their condition. I personally hate surveys - we are entering another tick box system, people do not fit in tick boxes, they have their own individual mechanisms for coping with whatever they are faced with.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Interesting question. Should it be solely aimed at Diabetics?

When faced with your own mortality, I'd imagine the figures are quite high until the patient learns to cope with their condition. I personally hate surveys - we are entering another tick box system, people do not fit in tick boxes, they have their own individual mechanisms for coping with whatever they are faced with.
Problem is not with the diabetes per se, but by the HCPs inability to effecively treat it, they usually cause harm, if left to their own devices!

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem is not with the diabetes per se, but by the HCPs inability to effecively treat it, they usually cause harm, if left to their own devices!

Oh, I can tell you, the next misdiagnosis I receive from an HCP, they are going to become severely depressed by the amount of legal attention they are going to attract :D

Bagpuss Lives!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When my own mechanisms for coping are outstripped by the stressors I face, my mood nosedives and I struggle, which sometimes includes wishing myself dead. Ie demands outstrip supply. And it's my "mortality" which gets hit hardest!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Isn't depression chemicals in the brain?
I haven't got a clue but I became depressed when reality set in.
Since then I've tried to disguise it and keep myself busy.

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi James. I have also heard that the management of Diabetes can cause depression, however that has not been my experience. I have battled depression on/off for the last 10yrs, with it becoming particularly bad last year and this year, causing issues with work. Was diagnosed type1 9.5months ago, and I feel that my diabetes has actually helped my depression. I have had some really dark days, but I don't think this is due to being diabetic. My condition motivates me to get out of bed to eat and check my levels. I guess in that regard, there has been a benefit to my diagnosis (not ready to admit that out loud yet lol). Good luck with your survey. X

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 16, diagnosed with severe depression at 17.... so yeah, I feel like they are linked. Also I've been suicidal in the past and even tried committing suicide multiple times by purposely taking too much insulin and such. I'm not suicidal any more, but yeah.

GhostTalket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i was diagnosed with depression back in 2012, but have had the symptoms going back to childhood. I found that I was a loner, I would self harm alot and would have panic attacks if I was not at the back of the classroom and near the door. I would have mood swings and just punch walls and doors for no reason. I was diagnosed with diabetes 15 years ago and am classed as a type 2 but I now have to have insulin injections as well as tablets. I was always a big person even as a child, but never had blood tests to see till 2000 when I was 30 years old. I'm still fighting with my depression, some days are good some days can be bad to really bad and my blood sugar levels are still crazy. They was anything from 15 to 29.6 when diagnosed then they levelled off for a bit and now are back to 10 to 17 now. I take tablets for my depression, diabetes and insomnia. I think I'm just one messed up person