low carb lasagne recipes

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I melt strong cheese & mustard into double cream. I find it's a bit runnier than is ideal but it's darn tasty. I've tried the sheets of leek but wasn't that impressed. That could just be my cooking, though.
lol, trying to avoid runny, thinking of cream cheese possibly?

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I just take the easy route = moussaka instead of lasagne

Everything is precooked (mince/tom/onion/garlic combo, aubergine and courgettes), then layered into the pan. No potato or pasta.
I top it with blobs of cream cheese, grated cheddar and a sprinkle of parmesan (which crunchifies it)

Then reheat by baking in oven til cheese is golden crunchy and the filling is heated through.

Freezes magnificently.

It ain't the traditional recipe, but it is lovely, and I don't regret losing the carbs at all.

I always think that making a low carb alternative may lead to disappointment, but making a new dish that combines the best low carb bits of various dishes, is bound to be a triumph. But then, I don't follow instruction well. ;)
Sounds yummy, will definetly try, cheers!:)

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I tried the leek version and it tasted great, but you couldn't cut it well. The Leeks all came off at once. Next time I will use individual dishes :)
I had the same problem with courgettes, maybe I'm doing something wrong!!:oops:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try creme freshE instead of cream, makes s thicker sauce and not as creamy, nearer a white sauce, I sometimes use xanthum gum for thickening but you have to have a pretty strong whisking arm and be careful how much you add or you get concrete!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just take the easy route = moussaka instead of lasagne

Everything is precooked (mince/tom/onion/garlic combo, aubergine and courgettes), then layered into the pan. No potato or pasta.
I top it with blobs of cream cheese, grated cheddar and a sprinkle of parmesan (which crunchifies it)

Then reheat by baking in oven til cheese is golden crunchy and the filling is heated through.

Freezes magnificently.

It ain't the traditional recipe, but it is lovely, and I don't regret losing the carbs at all.

I always think that making a low carb alternative may lead to disappointment, but making a new dish that combines the best low carb bits of various dishes, is bound to be a triumph. But then, I don't follow instruction well. ;)
Made this with grated mozzerella cheese. Got the thumbs up from Mr Pipp, who generally is a carb loader, (non-diabetic triathlete). He didn't even notice it was low carb. I did allow him a doorstep of crusty hovis with plenty of butter to give him his carb fix though.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Reporting back on my attempt at leek cannelloni yesterday. It looked the part, tasted great, but I can now see @Enclave 's point about the leek texture. Despite being only one leaf thick, it was impossible to slice when cooked. I ended up having to empty the cannelloni to fit it in my gob.

I cut the leek into sheets, boiled for 5 minutes, patted dry, spooned in the filling then rolled them up. I think filling an uncut tube would have been far too tricky.

Tomato sauce = tinned tomatoes, garlic, oregano
Stuffing = walnuts, kidney beans, bell pepper, mushrooms, marmite, rosemary, thyme

2dl3eq.jpg

i stole @Brunneria 's idea of blobs of cheese rather than cheese sauce and it tasted amazing. I used phili, feta and manchego.

jj464n.jpg

Glad I tried it, but will probably stick to individual lasagne using chargrilled slices of courgette next time. Will nick the xanthan gum idea, thanks :)

Reactions: 6 people

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
How much Xanthum gum do you use per pint of sauce?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do it by eye so to speak - just a sprinkle at a time until you get the thickness you desire start with about 1/4 teaspoon and sprinkle it through a tea strainer whilst whisking at the same time - not easy!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks good @Avocado Sevenfold, shame it was difficult to eat, I had an Italian aunt who used to use rolled pancakes rather than pasta for cannelloni, if you have a low carb recipe for a pancake that can roll maybe you could give that a try?

Reactions: 2 people