My daughter, 16,5 years, has type1 for 7 years.

nellycont

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, I'm Nelli from Greece. My daughter Assimeni (in the photo), 16,5 years, was diagnosed with type 1diabetes 7 years ago. She takes Novorapid or Actrapid for bolus and Treshiba for basal. She gained some weight recently (163cm, 60 kgs), so we are now trying to reduce her calories and her insuline intake. I would say that we are dealing with her diabetes all day long! But what else can we do.. I am very proud of her, but I also feel very sad that she has to go through all this..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's good that you are helping her to control the weight. It is best to focus on reducing carbs rather than calories as these are a major potential cause of weight gain rather than fat and, of course, can influence blood sugar.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's great you are there to support your daughter. Hopefully you will gain some useful knowledge from the forum which will ultimately help your daughter gain control of her diabetes management so she can enjoy life a bit more without it taking over her life. Hopefully some of the T1 members will be able to help with this.

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im with you on that. My son is now 2 1/2 years old and has been T1 since 14months. All you can do is be there no matter what and help your daughter as much as you can. To be honest im not looking forward to the teenage years... How did you handle it? Or handling it?

nellycont

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Im with you on that. My son is now 2 1/2 years old and has been T1 since 14months. All you can do is be there no matter what and help your daughter as much as you can. To be honest im not looking forward to the teenage years... How did you handle it? Or handling it?

Hi, thank you for your reply.. My daughter used to be very cooperative and patient with her diabetes, until she became a teen (app. 3 years ago). Besides the bad mood, the anger, the depression (not uncommon in adolescents), she also started to be reluctant to test her blood sugar often or even to take the injections. It's not that I left her, of course, I just had to do it all the time for her (that is, 8-10 times a day). We even tried the pump, but she hate it, so we returned back to the injections. All my worries, of course, is when she is away from home for a short trip with school or something like that.. Seldom, but happens. I know that I will be more anxious when she will be a little older and fly away..