Diabetic Labelled Foods: What do you think?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If such a thing as diabetic food exists perhaps I could ask the OP whose diet it follows. Is it the Eatwell Plate, LCHF, just LC or ...what. Or is it some food prepared by a nanny with diabetic written on it.

I ask because I once saw a news report in which an egg salesman was suffering from reduced sales until he wrote "free range" on the boxes. This helped the sales.

Does diabetic food just have Diabetic written on the box?
I understood OP to mean food that was labelled 'diabetic'. Such as chocolate, sweets and jam, etc. I have to say I am liking your analytical approach though, @Squire Fulwood.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I don't buy diabetic food because I focus on low carb full fat options instead. I have no problems with any sweeteners, but that's probably because I tend more to constipation anyway, so if sweeteners can help with that, I probably want to eat more of them, lol.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understood OP to mean food that was labelled 'diabetic'. Such as chocolate, sweets and jam, etc. I have to say I am liking your analytical approach though, @Squire Fulwood.
There have been similar questions before and never any suggestion that they were only talking about sweetmeats.

In fact it,s not clear to me what they are talking about.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I am looking to explore what the reasons are for diabetics eating/buying diabetic labelled foods, that is foods labelled as being specifically for diabetics
@Pipp @Squire Fulwood

I understand this to be meaning all so called "diabetic food" - - everything labelled as diabetic - sweet or savoury, whatever it might be, including "diabetic ready meals".

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

esmeralda67

My husband is the diabetic but I do the food planning as he has little interest in doing so. I dare not buy any diabetic foods because I do not trust them. The labels invariably display a long list of mysterious ingredients, none of which, I imagine, are fresh or natural. The ones I have seen tend to be expensive, though I still wouldn't buy them if they were cheap. My husband's condition remains stable on home cooking and planned shopping choices and we have got used to eating this way. I'm glad that you are carrying out this research, and hope it will help diabetics in the long run.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank-you so much to everyone who has responded.
Apologies, just started on the wards so just got a chance to come check responses again.

@Squire Fulwood As far as I am aware, there are no regulations to control what can and cannot be labelled as diabetic. Most foods labelled as diabetic tend to be sweet food items such as chocolates, biscuits, ice-cream, deserts, etc. These tend to have sugar alcohols in them which supposedly do not affect blood sugar levels as much as your normal sugar. However, as others have pointed out, consumption of these foods can cause unpleasant bloating and diarrhoea.

I have not personally seen diabetic labelled savoury meals, that is not to say that they don't exist. I have just noticed that the majority of the diabetic labelled foods are sweet items as opposed to savoury items. I think this may be due to the fact that savoury foods generally speaking do not have as much sugar in them anyway.

@Pipp Good question about whether these responses have made me reconsider my focus. Firstly, I doubt those who have taken the time to sign up and participate in an online forum such as this represent the general diabetic population. I think my focus will much remain the same but I may place more emphasis on finding out the reasons behind people not consuming diabetic labelled foods. There is clearly a market out there for these foods, and it would be interesting to see how many do and do not eat these diabetic foods, and who buys it for them, as a few have said is actually friends and family who purchase diabetic foods for them, as well as general beliefs of those who do consume them.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Apologies, just started on the wards so just got a chance to come check responses again.

@Squire Fulwood As far as I am aware, there are no regulations to control what can and cannot be labelled as diabetic. Most foods labelled as diabetic tend to be sweet food items such as chocolates, biscuits, ice-cream, deserts, etc. These tend to have sugar alcohols in them which supposedly do not affect blood sugar levels as much as your normal sugar. However, as others have pointed out, consumption of these foods can cause unpleasant bloating and diarrhoea.

I have not personally seen diabetic labelled savoury meals, that is not to say that they don't exist. I have just noticed that the majority of the diabetic labelled foods are sweet items as opposed to savoury items. I think this may be due to the fact that savoury foods generally speaking do not have as much sugar in them anyway.

@Pipp Good question about whether these responses have made me reconsider my focus. Firstly, I doubt those who have taken the time to sign up and participate in an online forum such as this represent the general diabetic population. I think my focus will much remain the same but I may place more emphasis on finding out the reasons behind people not consuming diabetic labelled foods. There is clearly a market out there for these foods, and it would be interesting to see how many do and do not eat these diabetic foods, and who buys it for them, as a few had said is actually friends and family who purchase diabetic foods for them, as well as general beliefs of those who do consume them.

The reasons you are fairly dismissive about the response on this knowledgeable forum and the reason that the majority of diabetics don't have the knowledge that we do to make that choice. There is hidden sugars in any production of food.
Knowledge is the key for diabetics to have control of their blood glucose levels.
Education is the necessary key in treatment. It is similar to the advice given by the NHS and health care in general.
Why treat a food condition with medicines when food is the answer, normal food!
Food that hasn't been chemically altered and treated to last longer and is low in real nourishment.
Diabetic food does absolutely nothing to help diabetics.
I have to eat the way I do, I don't have a choice!
Some diabetics get really bad advice concerning food and eating 'diabetic' labelled food is the worst!

Reactions: 4 people

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The reasons you are fairly dismissive about the response on this knowledgeable forum and the reason that the majority of diabetics don't have the knowledge that we do to make that choice. There is hidden sugars in any production of food.
Knowledge is the key for diabetics to have control of their blood glucose levels.
Education is the necessary key in treatment. It is similar to the advice given by the NHS and health care in general.
Why treat a food condition with medicines when food is the answer, normal food!
Food that hasn't been chemically altered and treated to last longer and is low in real nourishment.
Diabetic food does absolutely nothing to help diabetics.
I have to eat the way I do, I don't have a choice!
Some diabetics get really bad advice concerning food and eating 'diabetic' labelled food is the worst!
I agree, knowledge and education is key. The general consensus from my reading is that diabetic labelled foods are to be avoided, hence the reason I want to find out how many people are actually eating them and why. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Apart from processed foods that have flour as a bulking agent and low fat foods which may have sugar added to give them taste and all bread products. These could include things like nuggets, dippers, kievs, pizza's, fish fingers, fish cakes etc to name but a few. Even gravy granules are caramel and starch.

The point I am making is that diabetics have a bigger problem than not eating sweet things.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Apart from processed foods that have flour as a bulking agent and low fat foods which may have sugar added to give them taste and all bread products. These could include things like nuggets, dippers, kievs, pizza's, fish fingers, fish cakes etc to name but a few. Even gravy granules are caramel and starch.

The point I am making is that diabetics have a bigger problem than not eating sweet things.
Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out.. I was aware of this from a general health perspective but had never heard it from the perspective of someone with diabetes. Thank you :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out.. I was aware of this from a general health perspective but had never heard it from the perspective of someone with diabetes. Thank you :)

Have you met and spent time talking with many diabetics (T1 and T2) in the lead up to this piece of work? If you did, did you encounter individuals following the NICE guidelines style of eating (EatWell Plate), and/or did you encounter anyone not following the guidelines?

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you met and spent time talking with many diabetics (T1 and T2) in the lead up to this piece of work? If you did, did you encounter individuals following the NICE guidelines style of eating (EatWell Plate), and/or did you encounter anyone not following the guidelines?
Spoken to some diabetics but more about the clinical aspect of diabetes . Have read the guidelines. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoken to some diabetics but more about the clinical aspect of diabetes . Have read the guidelines. :)

Thanks for responding. I'm perhaps a little surprised you seem to dissociate diet and eating with the clinical aspects of diabetes, bearing in mind their absolute relationship, or maybe I misinterpret what you're saying.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for responding. I'm perhaps a little surprised you seem to dissociate diet and eating with the clinical aspects of diabetes, bearing in mind their absolute relationship, or maybe I misinterpret what you're saying.
I'm not dissociating them. Just that my curriculum focuses more on medical management unfortunately so that's what I discussed more but I have discussed diet also. I don't think clinical was the right word to use above. :) apologies for any confusion

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@Pipp Good question about whether these responses have made me reconsider my focus. Firstly, I doubt those who have taken the time to sign up and participate in an online forum such as this represent the general diabetic population.

Unfortunately you are probably right in your assumption.
I think there are two types of people who come to this forum newly diagnosed and invariably scared looking for support and the more proactive members who say I have this illness now what can I do about it !

Have a look at some of southport GPs postings a health care professional who has done some research in this area .

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people

@Pipp Good question about whether these responses have made me reconsider my focus. Firstly, I doubt those who have taken the time to sign up and participate in an online forum such as this represent the general diabetic population. I think my focus will much remain the same but I may place more emphasis on finding out the reasons behind people not consuming diabetic labelled foods. There is clearly a market out there for these foods, and it would be interesting to see how many do and do not eat these diabetic foods, and who buys it for them, as a few have said is actually friends and family who purchase diabetic foods for them, as well as general beliefs of those who do consume them.
Diabetic foods tend to be higher in fat and smaller and eave people hungry. They are not necessarily lower in carbohydrate just lower in sugar which dependant on how and when you eat sweet stuff could have little or no effect on blood sugars. Sugars eaten with longer acting and lower glycaemic index cause a change in the lower and therefore do not raise the blood ugars as high or as fast. they are not worth the money and cause diarrhoea as well as tasting revolting. I would rather have a smaller amount of a real product if I want something sweet and know what it will do to m e.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little perplexed here as to what prompted your original question which was about food.

If I can quote my own case. Clinical intervention (pills) Hba1c 68. Dietary intervention (no pills but selecting foods) Hba1c 43.

Not one of the foods had "Diabetic" on the package.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you want an indication of how much "Diabetic" food is sold, you'd probably be best talking to the likes of Boots and Thorntons, who both offer "Diabetic" brands. Given the amount of shelf space dedicated to them in Boots, I'd suggest the number isn't that high.