Blood sugar monitor tested on diabetes patients (CGM)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This would be ideal for many other than just T1.

It would monitor the effects for hypoglycaemics, wether diabetic or non diabetic!

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Looks good, will it provide competition or become a duopoly?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Who is living or involved in the tests that the NHS are conducting for an implanted sensor that will last 5 months and send bloods to iphones?

People are testing in London, Swansea and Cambridge according to the red button on BBC channel.

I see people jumping up and down about the new NICE guidelines but nobody has mentioned these tests that are underway.

Very quiet about this technology. Interesting that the NHS are doing the research and testing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This does look good http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34077192 lets hope if not funded by the NHS it will be affordable for our pockets. (That's if it's reliable)
Thanks for this, the company's website says - Our first generation continuous glucose monitoring, or CGM, system is a reliable, long-term, implantable CGM system that we have designed to continually and accurately measure glucose levels in people with diabetes for a period of up to 90 days...... I am not clear whether implanted means the whole thing is under the skin? Does anyone know more?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks for this, the company's website says - Our first generation continuous glucose monitoring, or CGM, system is a reliable, long-term, implantable CGM system that we have designed to continually and accurately measure glucose levels in people with diabetes for a period of up to 90 days...... I am not clear whether implanted means the whole thing is under the skin? Does anyone know more?
Looking at the pictures it appears the sensor is under the skin and transmitter on top like the dexcom.
This was the link I found http://senseonics.com/uncategorized...partner-scandinavia-commercialize-cgm-product

Reactions: 2 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks, CarbsRoc, i went to the site - in "the product" section is says "unlike current glucose sensors, the Senseonics Sensor is intended to be implanted subcutaneously on the upper arm with no sensor part protruding from the skin" - as i have never used a CGM, or seen one, i am not sure how different this one is - the video looks very interesting, i would definitely like to try one..

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
thanks, CarbsRoc, i went to the site - in "the product" section is says "unlike current glucose sensors, the Senseonics Sensor is intended to be implanted subcutaneously on the upper arm with no sensor part protruding from the skin" - as i have never used a CGM, or seen one, i am not sure how different this one is - the video looks very interesting, i would definitely like to try one..
You need to click on the transmitter info as well :) http://senseonics.com/product/the-receiver

The versatile Senseonics Transmitter is designed to wirelessly interact with the Sensor and the Mobile Medical Application.

Worn on the upper arm, the small Transmitter is intended to wirelessly power the normally dormant Sensor to activate the glucose measurement process. The Transmitter is designed to receive the necessary data from the Sensor and to calculate the glucose concentration. The glucose data is then sent by the Transmitter to a smartphone via Bluetooth.
Also read the FAQ as it tells you there that the device is implanted under a local and removed by a small incision being made to remove it.
Looking at it reminds me of an oversized micro chip used to chip your cat or dog.

Reactions: 8 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, but I'm also interested in this hopefully it will send the prices of other CGMs down if it's successful.

Reactions: 2 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the website it says 90 days which would still be great, and it could be removed a physician at our quarterly assessments that we have so no real problem there :)